• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 wickedshizuku27

wickedshizuku27

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:36 PM

Not to be confused with cartoons. Anime is a genre all on it's own, originating primarily from Japan. Any fans out there want to chat this one up? There are so many anime out there that usually go under the radar. Do you have a favorite, and if so what is it and why? Do you prefer dubs or subs? What have you seen that has impressed you?

#2 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

The most recent shows that I've watched and loved are Rideback, Panty & Stocking, High School of the Dead, Is This A Zombie? and Black Butler. I've seen a lot of different shows over the years but I'm a little out of date and haven't seen Blue Exorcist or Sword Art Online yet. I've heard good things about Sword Art Online.

#3 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

I am not really a massive fan of the action anime's. As a lesbians who doesn't get any true representation in TV shows of lesbians life or couples, I have found - like many others - that I have had to go to Yuri to fill that need. Obviously yuir is not an entirely true representation, but a few yuri series are close and they are so sweet.

#4 Roseary

Roseary

Cordial

• 10 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

Sailor Moon is by far my favorite anime. When I saw it as a kid I didn't realize how terrible the dubbed version was though. After I got older and brought up the dubbed and subbed, man was I shocked! The dubbed changed the weirdest sentences, and it implied that Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune were cousins. Which made everything super weird since they were very touchy feely.

Generally with any anime though I will watch the subbed over dubbed. I don't always like reading and sometimes it starts to become hard to pay attention to all the action on the screen and the words going on, but it is worth it. The dubbed version usually ends up changing the strangest lines, that felt better and fit in easier in the subbed.

#5 scottguy

scottguy

Noob

• 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

I used to be really into the absurdist anime type stuff (Bo-Bobo, Pyu To Fuku Jaguar, Sexy Commando, etc.) but haven't gotten into anything recent, really. However, I've heard really good things about Space Dandy so I've been considering giving that one a try. I really don't mind the dubs-- in fact, it actually is preferable in some cases so that I can maybe doodle while I watch or something that requires me to not be looking at the screen every second of it.

#6 DomDom

DomDom

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

My favorite and first time is Naruto. The special thing about Naruto for me is that in its depth its actually a growing up story. The characters are unbelievably deep and the show fuses perfectly with the music. It can really make you cry at some parts...

Its a long show but if you have the time, check it out!

#7 wickedshizuku27

wickedshizuku27

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

My favorite and first time is Naruto. The special thing about Naruto for me is that in its depth its actually a growing up story. The characters are unbelievably deep and the show fuses perfectly with the music. It can really make you cry at some parts...

Its a long show but if you have the time, check it out!

If Naruto makes you cry with emotion, you should give One Piece a try. Though it seems silly in the first season that is actually meant to endear you to the main characters. Much like Naruto does.

Sailor Moon is by far my favorite anime. When I saw it as a kid I didn't realize how terrible the dubbed version was though. After I got older and brought up the dubbed and subbed, man was I shocked! The dubbed changed the weirdest sentences, and it implied that Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune were cousins. Which made everything super weird since they were very touchy feely.

Generally with any anime though I will watch the subbed over dubbed. I don't always like reading and sometimes it starts to become hard to pay attention to all the action on the screen and the words going on, but it is worth it. The dubbed version usually ends up changing the strangest lines, that felt better and fit in easier in the subbed.

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only subbed snob out there. Also I feel ya when you speak of the super weirdness of how Sailor Moon was bastardized by Toonami.

#8 emilyrose93

emilyrose93

Cordial

• 14 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

I always prefer subtitles. I'm not sure why, it just feels more authentic. I think it's better to keep with what the original creators intended for the voices and tones and inflections to sound like. And I agree also, sometimes they change some lines and it's just not the same.

My favourite anime to watch is Fruits Basket. It's about a family who are possessed by animals, and turn into that animal whenever they are stressed or hugged by someone of the opposite sex. There is a constant love-triangle storyline throughout the series, The sad part is neither of the boys can even hug the girl because if they do, they'll turn into their animal! That is a little bit heart-breaking.

I also watched Sailor Moon when I was younger, but not recently. I always liked Sailor Jupitor the best, and I have no idea why! I think being one of the Sailors would be an excellent cosplay idea sometime.

#9 zerotoinfinity

zerotoinfinity

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

Sometimes I watch short anime shows like FLCL.  But, most of the time I watch Darker Than Black, Attack on Titan, or Code Geass.  I also prefer to watch an anime that is subbed rather than dubbed.  I can't stand dubbed anime, it does nothing for me and it's hard to follow.  I really liked the idea behind Code Geass Season 1 and 2.  I also thought the new OVA's are really exciting to watch visually. 

#10 Faemonic

Faemonic

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:08 AM

Minor nitpick: in Japan, Western cartoons are also called anime, so it's easy enough to get them confused for cartoons because it's basically the other way around, calling Japanese anime "cartoons". it sounds less savvy to call an anime a cartoon, of course, but it's not incorrect.

Everyone who mentioned that they watched and loved Sailor Moon, that was my gateway into anime! The translation was very strange, so I've been such a sub-snob ever since, but I'd like to think that after so long in the industry the localizations, translations, and voice acting aren't so awkward anymore. Not that I'll check--sorry Johnny Yong Bosch you know I love you when you're voice acting in video games. Back on topic, I'm glad to see the mahou shojou (magical girl) genre "all grown up" so to speak.

All you Sailor Moon fans with a high tolerance for dark subversions, I would highly recommend Puella Magi Madoka Magica. It's my absolute favorite anime right now. Even if you're not into mahou shojou, or even if you're not into anime, I still highly recommend it just because it's a good short story, only twelve episodes, and everything about it was carefully and perfectly done from the animation to the music.

#11 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:10 PM

Would you guys consider Dragonball Z an anime? I definitely would. But maybe I am wrong. 

I have recently been rewatching strawberry Panic. LOVE that anime!!!

#12 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

Anime seems to have gotten really popular recently, especially on Tumblr. I've been meaning to check some out but just never got around to it.

#13 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

The gay and lesbian TV channel Logo voted Sailor Moon one of the top gayest cartoons of all time because of Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune.

People just love them together as a couple. I hope they're not cousins, because there's a sexual energy between them.

http://www.japanator...otv-32152.phtml

32152-haramichi.jpg

#14 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:02 AM

Yes, Tumblr is full of Anime fans. I love gay anime, namely Yuri and Yoi. I do find that a lot of those anime's have the characters that are romantically interested in one another be siblings or cousins or something, which really turns me off. I'll never know why incest seems to be so popular in anime. It just turns me off and send me off to search for another gay anime that doesn't have incest in it.

#15 Faemonic

Faemonic

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:46 AM

About gay incest in Sailor Moon...that was the result of a ghastly mistranslation. In the original Japanese version, Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus certainly were not related, let alone cousins! They were an actual lesbian couple, that the translators in the U.S.A. just made out to be cousins because lesbianism was a taboo and "cousins" would explain why they hung out together so much and lived together.

Edited by Faemonic, 19 April 2014 - 06:48 AM.

#16 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:00 AM

About gay incest in Sailor Moon...that was the result of a ghastly mistranslation. In the original Japanese version, Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus certainly were not related, let alone cousins! They were an actual lesbian couple, that the translators in the U.S.A. just made out to be cousins because lesbianism was a taboo and "cousins" would explain why they hung out together so much and lived together.

I have heard something similar to what you are saying before, but it must have fallen into the background of my mind because it was so annoying? They need to remake some of these animes. Homosexuality is not taboo any more. In my opinion, having romantic interests be related is more taboo than lesbianism. There are limited Yuri's as it is. I just want a nice romantic Yuri lol. Is that so much to ask?

#17 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:51 AM

I keep hearing about an anime show on Tumblr that has something to do with swimming and I still have no idea what it's called or what's it's even about, bar the swimming part. Anyone here watch it?

#18 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:02 AM

I have no idea which anime you are referring to, Frightmare. Off to investigate lol ;)

#19 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

Ah, it's called Free! apparently. Tumblr's always calling it swimming anime so it's any wonder I had no idea what they were referring to!

#20 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:13 PM

Ah, it's called Free! apparently. Tumblr's always calling it swimming anime so it's any wonder I had no idea what they were referring to!

Tumblr is one of the worst places online to see a gif or picture of a show that you would like to watch, simply because whilst posts are tagged sometimes, they are not tagged a lot of the time, leaving you scratching your head as to what show you are looking for. It is annoying.