• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

Yeah, that is really annoying sometimes. I wish people would tag things properly!

#22 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:53 PM

Me too. It has gotten to the point where I will just post an ask to a tumble account, but even that can be a little bit bothersome, due to the fact that not everybody has their ask box open for you to ask them questions. And you can't always send people messages either.

#23 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

I always feel kind of annoying asking people, to be honest. They tend to get a bit pissy when people keep asking them the same question over and over again. Then again, that's their own fault for not tagging the post in the first place!

#24 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:07 AM

I always feel kind of annoying asking people, to be honest. They tend to get a bit pissy when people keep asking them the same question over and over again. Then again, that's their own fault for not tagging the post in the first place!

Really? I don't. Sometimes I get people begging followers for asks. I never fill their need. it is funny to watch them beg, unless they are suicidal or something. Then I will message them and try to uplift their energy.

#25 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

Haha, yeah, you do get people on their who are kind of desperate for attention. I rarely message anyone on Tumblr these days.

#26 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:13 PM

Haha, yeah, you do get people on their who are kind of desperate for attention. I rarely message anyone on Tumblr these days.

Well sometimes I am forced to. If I have to look into what a show is called, thanks to them posting gif images and memes of interesting shows that they haven't tagged. If they don't have their asks or messages open, I will tag their tumblr name and write a text request.

#27 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

Well sometimes I am forced to. If I have to look into what a show is called, thanks to them posting gif images and memes of interesting shows that they haven't tagged. If they don't have their asks or messages open, I will tag their tumblr name and write a text request.

I find google image search is sometimes good for finding out the names of things.

#28 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:54 AM

I find google image search is sometimes good for finding out the names of things.

Hmmm. That is actually a really good idea; I hadn't thought of that at all. Brilliant. It'll save me from having to bother people, and then having to wait for their response - which can take weeks if the tumblr account isn't used too often. Thanks for the idea ;)

#29 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

You're very welcome! I discovered it the other day and have been using it since. Sometimes it doesn't quite do the job but generally it's a neat little trick.

#30 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

About gay incest in Sailor Moon...that was the result of a ghastly mistranslation. In the original Japanese version, Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus certainly were not related, let alone cousins! They were an actual lesbian couple, that the translators in the U.S.A. just made out to be cousins because lesbianism was a taboo and "cousins" would explain why they hung out together so much and lived together.

That is actually pretty awesome, the lesbian couple part, not the homophobic cover up part. Sailor Moon is an older show, so it's cool that they had a gay couple back then.

I watched Attack On Titan and The Devil Is A Part Timer last weekend and they were both fantastic. Attack on Titan was tense, exciting and heartwrenching and The Devil Is  A Part Timer was pretty funny. Have any of you guys seen either one?

Edited by TVismyfriend, 28 April 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#31 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:37 AM

About gay incest in Sailor Moon...that was the result of a ghastly mistranslation. In the original Japanese version, Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus certainly were not related, let alone cousins! They were an actual lesbian couple, that the translators in the U.S.A. just made out to be cousins because lesbianism was a taboo and "cousins" would explain why they hung out together so much and lived together.

That is actually pretty awesome, the lesbian couple part, not the homophobic cover up part. Sailor Moon is an older show, so it's cool that they had a gay couple back then.

I watched Attack On Titan and The Devil Is A Part Timer last weekend and they were both fantastic. Attack on Titan was tense, exciting and heartwrenching and The Devil Is  A Part Timer was pretty funny. Have any of you guys seen either one?

I have always thought that they were ahead of the curve when it came to all things taboo? But then they portray taboo subjects in such a unique and timed way at time, don't they. One of the things that I love about anime, but the incest part is the only part that I can't get with.

#32 Faemonic

Faemonic

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:20 AM

Something I noticed in anime is that gender-bending seems to be a common, even a fun thing! Even though strict gender roles seem to be well-reinforced in real life Japanese society...so perhaps greater representation in the media doesn't necessarily mean that homosexual relationships or genderqueer people would be more accepted. Still:

Ranma 1/2

Persona 4 (the anime version) with the characters of Naoto Shirogane and Kanji Tatsumi

Hana-Kimi

Otomen

Ouran High School Host Club

...There must be more.

#33 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:17 PM

Something I noticed in anime is that gender-bending seems to be a common, even a fun thing! Even though strict gender roles seem to be well-reinforced in real life Japanese society...so perhaps greater representation in the media doesn't necessarily mean that homosexual relationships or genderqueer people would be more accepted. Still:

Ranma 1/2

Persona 4 (the anime version) with the characters of Naoto Shirogane and Kanji Tatsumi

Hana-Kimi

Otomen

...There must be more.

Yeah in some of the gay anime cartoons, there is a lot of gender bending? But then that is sort of to be expected, in my opinion - to play on what society thinks of gender roles in gay anime. But I have noticed it in normal anime too. I like it. It gives it a whole new feel.

#34 Faemonic

Faemonic

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:33 PM

Ranma 1/2

Hana-Kimi

Otomen

...There must be more.

Yeah in some of the gay anime cartoons, there is a lot of gender bending? But then that is sort of to be expected, in my opinion - to play on what society thinks of gender roles in gay anime. But I have noticed it in normal anime too. I like it. It gives it a whole new feel.

In the Western world, especially in the U.S., I noticed that genderqueer-ness and homosexuality has to be made into this huge big central issue in a show--like Queer As Folk and The L Word. It seems like only recently that we've got a play on what (American) society thinks of gender roles in "normal" television: Glee which has some LGBT characters but the bigger point of the show is a bunch of new music videos covering other songs, and Orange is the New Black which has some lesbian characters but the bigger point of the show is prison life and Red's kitchen and stuff.

While I'm vaguely aware that Queer As Folk is a U.K. import to television across the pond, my impression was that a lot of British shows are ahead of the States by way of integrating and normalizing LGBTQ representation. Torchwood, for instance, happens to have gay characters but is really about aliens from another planet trying to invade earth every other week.

Unlike anime, though, there's all sorts of affirmations about what this does for the televisions-viewing audience, and how that audience influences culture in general. More representation, realistic representation, leads to more fair treatment in real life--supposedly. I think that applies. Glee broke LGBTQ representation out of its niche, and I think that was influential to the cultural shift in the U.S.

With anime, the effects seem to be...none, actually, it's just there. I suppose there's more of a wall between real life and media representation in Japanese culture? Or maybe what really touches the hearts and minds of the audience are more lofty philosophical themes rather than identity politics.

Blargh, I think too much about this. Ranma 1/2 is fun!

Edited by Faemonic, 30 April 2014 - 08:34 PM.

#35 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:54 AM

Ranma 1/2

Hana-Kimi

Otomen

...There must be more.

In the Western world, especially in the U.S., I noticed that genderqueer-ness and homosexuality has to be made into this huge big central issue in a show--like Queer As Folk and The L Word. It seems like only recently that we've got a play on what (American) society thinks of gender roles in "normal" television: Glee which has some LGBT characters but the bigger point of the show is a bunch of new music videos covering other songs, and Orange is the New Black which has some lesbian characters but the bigger point of the show is prison life and Red's kitchen and stuff.

While I'm vaguely aware that Queer As Folk is a U.K. import to television across the pond, my impression was that a lot of British shows are ahead of the States by way of integrating and normalizing LGBTQ representation. Torchwood, for instance, happens to have gay characters but is really about aliens from another planet trying to invade earth every other week.

Unlike anime, though, there's all sorts of affirmations about what this does for the televisions-viewing audience, and how that audience influences culture in general. More representation, realistic representation, leads to more fair treatment in real life--supposedly. I think that applies. Glee broke LGBTQ representation out of its niche, and I think that was influential to the cultural shift in the U.S.

With anime, the effects seem to be...none, actually, it's just there. I suppose there's more of a wall between real life and media representation in Japanese culture? Or maybe what really touches the hearts and minds of the audience are more lofty philosophical themes rather than identity politics.

Blargh, I think too much about this. Ranma 1/2 is fun!

The L Word bored me to absolute tears, so I shan't comment upon that. But with Queer As Folk, I feel like they had to do it big because the world wasn't ready for it at the time. The world was used to tip-toeing around it, and Queer As Folk said, let's break them in and let' not be gentle about it lol. I loved QAF's edginess.

About the anime, I have to agree. The characters do not usually respond any differently to someone who is a girl or a boy, or gender queer.

#36 bigbrain50

bigbrain50

Cordial

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

I love all the mainstream stuff and classics like Rorouni Kenshin, Gundam, Sailor Moon, Kenshi Muyou, DBZ, Bleach Naruto and Yu Yu Hakusho, but I'm really into manga now (japanese comic books that most animes are adopted from)... Japan has always been an industry leader in anime, but South Korea is a rising power...

#37 almost2

almost2

Cordial

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

I love all the mainstream stuff and classics like Rorouni Kenshin, Gundam, Sailor Moon, Kenshi Muyou, DBZ, Bleach Naruto and Yu Yu Hakusho, but I'm really into manga now (japanese comic books that most animes are adopted from)... Japan has always been an industry leader in anime, but South Korea is a rising power...

I also like Bleach and grew up watching Sailormoon (can't stand the stuff now though). But my other favorite animes aren't as popular. I love Elfen Lied, Another and Mirai Nikki. They're not as popular as other animes, but their storylines are so good!

#38 VTEC 91244

VTEC 91244

Cordial

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

Anime I like:

Death Note

Hanamaru Kindergarten

Sgt. Frog

Lupin III

Chibi Vampire/Karin

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

K-On!

Ichigo Mashimaro/Strawberry Marshmello (the things they put between the show and where the commercials are supposed to play are weird, though)

Lucky Star

Ranma 1/2

Hetalia

Love Hina

And more I probably cannot think of.

Also, I agree with people saying tumblr users usually do not tag their posts properly. I hate having to look for that post on that one subject or with that picture from this series and finding it has tags like "I just can't" and "OMG, sooo cuuute".

Edited by VTEC 91244, 12 June 2014 - 01:21 PM.

#39 nhipaah

nhipaah

Cordial

• 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:38 AM

I also like Bleach and grew up watching Sailormoon (can't stand the stuff now though). But my other favorite animes aren't as popular. I love Elfen Lied, Another and Mirai Nikki. They're not as popular as other animes, but their storylines are so good!

What are you talking about? Elfen Lied and Mirai Nikki are probably the two most famous of that genre. Yuno Gasai and Lucy are an iconic characters.

I haven't finished Elfen Lied and I don't think I plan to, because some of the content just seems out of place to me. I loved Mirai Nikki, though. The twist at the end finished it off beautifully.

I also like bleach, although I haven't finished the series. I think I'm on episode 200.

Of the popular shounen anime there are, I'd have to say One Piece is probably my favorite. I'm on episode 563 of that one. I enjoy Luffy's positivity as opposed to Ichigo's fairly common depression.

My favorite anime of all time would have to be Ano Hana, though, because of the innocent yet serious elements and the heartwarming events that lead up to the end that just squeezes my emotions.

There are also a few anime I'm keeping up with that have been released in the past few months; those are Glasslip, Tokyo Ghoul, Barakamon, Akame ga Kill!, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Hanayamata, Ao Haru Ride, Zankyou no Terror, and Nobunaga Concerto.
This may seem like a lot, but since they're released weekly, I have enough time to get through all of them :P

I'm watching Glasslip and Ao Haru Ride for my dosage of romance- Glasslip is a lot more innocent-like and cute, whereas Ao Haru Ride interests me because it deals with a girl coping with how she and her friend have changed, and I guess I just like that concept.
This is also true with Tokyo Ghoul, where the MC has changed into something he doesn't like and he has to deal with and come to accept his fate. Also many bloods and deth yay.
Barakamon, Nozaki-kun, and Hanayamata is more about friendship, although there are a bunch of other, more prominent themes. All three of them are really cute to me in their own way.
I'm not quite sure why I like watching Akame ga Kill- I just like the comedic/Srsbsns balance I guess. Akame is also qt.
Zankyou no Terror interests me because it's like one of those detective things- It shows me how they think outside the box and solve puzzles and stuff. Although, it's getting pretty repetitive imo and I'm thinking about dropping it too.
And finally, Nobunaga Concerto gives me a look at Japanese history, which I find interesting. It's set during the warring states period and although I feel like I'd enjoy the anime more if I actually knew about japanese history, I don't mind researching it a bit after I watch the episode.

#40 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:53 PM

OMG, yeah!!!!!  I watched Attack on Titan some weeks ago, I'm done with the series and just waiting for the second season to come out, btw... do you have any idea when it will come out?  They say it will come out in 2015, but no exact date yet :(   I love this anime so much I'd really watch it over again if I wasn't so busy!  I actually read the whole manga!!!!  I still hadn't enough, so I watched the OVAS and it still wasn't enough, lol.

Ah well, I guess I will wait.  By the way, what is that other anime you mentioned about?  Is it like attack on titan?  If it is then I truly need to watch it!