• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:18 PM

Sailor Moon is by far my favorite anime. When I saw it as a kid I didn't realize how terrible the dubbed version was though. After I got older and brought up the dubbed and subbed, man was I shocked! The dubbed changed the weirdest sentences, and it implied that Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune were cousins. Which made everything super weird since they were very touchy feely.

Generally with any anime though I will watch the subbed over dubbed. I don't always like reading and sometimes it starts to become hard to pay attention to all the action on the screen and the words going on, but it is worth it. The dubbed version usually ends up changing the strangest lines, that felt better and fit in easier in the subbed.

I know how you feel, I loved watching Sailor Moon when I was a girl, but our dubbed version was just awful and this is why I'm a huge advocate of watching subbed anime instead of dubbed, because the translators do whatever they want with our series.  I have seen it happenig with a lot TV shows, not only anime (even tho anime always gets the worst part).

What they did to Sailor Moon was bad tho, I never understood why Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune seemed so romantically involved with each other if they were just cousins!  How hard was to make it quite clear they were just a lesbian couple!  Japan did it back then, why not the US?  I know it might have been a bit of a taboo back then, but come on!   This is why I'll never ever watch dubbed again, unless there is aboslutely no choice!  Plus, nothing beats hearing the voices of the original japanese actors.

#42 almost2

almost2

Cordial

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:19 AM

I also like Bleach and grew up watching Sailormoon (can't stand the stuff now though). But my other favorite animes aren't as popular. I love Elfen Lied, Another and Mirai Nikki. They're not as popular as other animes, but their storylines are so good!

What are you talking about? Elfen Lied and Mirai Nikki are probably the two most famous of that genre. Yuno Gasai and Lucy are an iconic characters.

I haven't finished Elfen Lied and I don't think I plan to, because some of the content just seems out of place to me. I loved Mirai Nikki, though. The twist at the end finished it off beautifully.

I also like bleach, although I haven't finished the series. I think I'm on episode 200.

Ah, I meant not as popular as Bleach or Naruto. I guess they are popular in that genre, but in general, most people just stare at me blankly when I mention those animes. I didn't love the ending of Mirai Nikki, but I have to agree that it was a good ending for the story. Not that I could have thought of a better ending, but it wasn't an ending that blew me away.

#43 nhipaah

nhipaah

Cordial

• 13 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:53 AM

I also like Bleach and grew up watching Sailormoon (can't stand the stuff now though). But my other favorite animes aren't as popular. I love Elfen Lied, Another and Mirai Nikki. They're not as popular as other animes, but their storylines are so good!

What are you talking about? Elfen Lied and Mirai Nikki are probably the two most famous of that genre. Yuno Gasai and Lucy are an iconic characters.

I haven't finished Elfen Lied and I don't think I plan to, because some of the content just seems out of place to me. I loved Mirai Nikki, though. The twist at the end finished it off beautifully.

I also like bleach, although I haven't finished the series. I think I'm on episode 200.

Ah, I meant not as popular as Bleach or Naruto. I guess they are popular in that genre, but in general, most people just stare at me blankly when I mention those animes. I didn't love the ending of Mirai Nikki, but I have to agree that it was a good ending for the story. Not that I could have thought of a better ending, but it wasn't an ending that blew me away.

I don't have many friends that don't watch anime, so most of the people I talk to at least know who Yuno is lmao. You don't become the face of psychotic girlfriends and go about unknown, you know? xD

It's not something that'd blow you away, but my reaction was more of a "Oh. Oh I see. I see................."

It's just something I wouldn't have thought of, even if it's a common twist, the way they used it was just perfect for the series itself.

#44 TatsuKaji

TatsuKaji

Cordial

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

It' pretty common to not have friends who watch anime, you typically need to go on an anime forum to find some, the only other way is just finding out who watches cartoons in general, that you hang out with and then introducing them to something thats popular. That's how I got a lot of my friends into anime, started them off with the typical DBZ, Hellsing, Trigun and shows like that, things that weren't too over the top but were just solid shows.

Has anyone picked up the new season of Sword Art Online? I am currently enjoying where its taking place, a lot better than the 2nd half of the first season of Sword Art Online.

#45 nhipaah

nhipaah

Cordial

• 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:52 AM

It' pretty common to not have friends who watch anime, you typically need to go on an anime forum to find some, the only other way is just finding out who watches cartoons in general, that you hang out with and then introducing them to something thats popular. That's how I got a lot of my friends into anime, started them off with the typical DBZ, Hellsing, Trigun and shows like that, things that weren't too over the top but were just solid shows.

Has anyone picked up the new season of Sword Art Online? I am currently enjoying where its taking place, a lot better than the 2nd half of the first season of Sword Art Online.

It's actually pretty uncommon to have friends who don't watch anime in my area. Many people are immersed into the culture, even if they just watch an episode of Naruto every now and then or something. I'd say it's the only reason I have friends in person now!

Oh, but I did start watching SAO II. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten past the second episode! It was a bit odd but I might come around and pick it up again later. I'm hoping I'll enjoy it more than what happened in the second half, but then again, my standards would be set really low if I'd expected anything like it.

#46 TatsuKaji

TatsuKaji

Cordial

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:01 AM

It's actually pretty uncommon to have friends who don't watch anime in my area. Many people are immersed into the culture, even if they just watch an episode of Naruto every now and then or something. I'd say it's the only reason I have friends in person now!

Oh, but I did start watching SAO II. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten past the second episode! It was a bit odd but I might come around and pick it up again later. I'm hoping I'll enjoy it more than what happened in the second half, but then again, my standards would be set really low if I'd expected anything like it.

Around my area, Ohio, at least because of my age group anyway, and even when growing up not many people were into anime. It wasn't as widely available as it is now lol. But I do have quite a few online friends who tell me they have trouble getting their local friends in different areas into it however.

SAO I was great, SAO II is different, I can see what they're trying to do with its story, although I am not sure if its necessary but I am just going to try and enjoy it without any expectations, I am already convinced that nothing they do will be as good as the first half of SAO I.

#47 nhipaah

nhipaah

Cordial

• 13 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

Around my area, Ohio, at least because of my age group anyway, and even when growing up not many people were into anime. It wasn't as widely available as it is now lol. But I do have quite a few online friends who tell me they have trouble getting their local friends in different areas into it however.

SAO I was great, SAO II is different, I can see what they're trying to do with its story, although I am not sure if its necessary but I am just going to try and enjoy it without any expectations, I am already convinced that nothing they do will be as good as the first half of SAO I.

I used to be pretty surprised when someone online told me that none of their friends watch anime, I just thought it was as common as regular western television. People in my area, even when growing up, always liked Naruto, Sailor Moon, or Inuyasha or sommin'. As we got older, we started looking into some of the more underrated things.

Perhaps it'll be best if you consider SAO I and SAO II to be two different things, then? Since you're already so attached to SAO I being as it is and since SAO II is about a shooter(?) instead of what the original was based on.

This happened to me with Soul Eater and Soul Eater NOT. Even though they used the same characters and stuff, if I had made the mistake of considering those two as one, I would have hated Soul Eater NOT.

#48 TatsuKaji

TatsuKaji

Cordial

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:33 PM

I used to be pretty surprised when someone online told me that none of their friends watch anime, I just thought it was as common as regular western television. People in my area, even when growing up, always liked Naruto, Sailor Moon, or Inuyasha or sommin'. As we got older, we started looking into some of the more underrated things.

Perhaps it'll be best if you consider SAO I and SAO II to be two different things, then? Since you're already so attached to SAO I being as it is and since SAO II is about a shooter(?) instead of what the original was based on.

This happened to me with Soul Eater and Soul Eater NOT. Even though they used the same characters and stuff, if I had made the mistake of considering those two as one, I would have hated Soul Eater NOT.

When I was growing up in my area at least, the most anyone might have known of at the time was DBZ or Sailor Moon, up until Toonami was made anyway and then cartoon network started showing late night anime shows. I had known about anime years before that stuff however. It really just depends on the area, in some places you just have people that are too afraid to admit they like anime. xD

I view SAO like this. SAo up until episode 13 or 14. is the main story, the episodes after weren't necessary. SAO II, has guns involved but its still better in my opinion than the 2nd half of the first SAO if that makes any sense. I totally understand what you're saying about Soul eater.

#49 nhipaah

nhipaah

Cordial

• 13 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:53 PM

When I was growing up in my area at least, the most anyone might have known of at the time was DBZ or Sailor Moon, up until Toonami was made anyway and then cartoon network started showing late night anime shows. I had known about anime years before that stuff however. It really just depends on the area, in some places you just have people that are too afraid to admit they like anime. xD

I view SAO like this. SAo up until episode 13 or 14. is the main story, the episodes after weren't necessary. SAO II, has guns involved but its still better in my opinion than the 2nd half of the first SAO if that makes any sense. I totally understand what you're saying about Soul eater.

(Oh quote nesting)

It's actually very encouraging if you'd have friends watching anime while growing up, then no one would be afraid to admit they like anime! I get it though, some of my peers aren't interested in it one bit. There are two extremes-- You'd either really enjoy anime enough to have multiple waifus or you're completely disgusted by it! There are both types here, and everything in between.

Pls, everything is better than the second half of SAO I. That was just a waste of time.

#50 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:36 PM

Most of my best and closest friend DO watch anime ;)  I don't know why, but for some reason I seem to get along better with those who do watch anime, at least we have something to talk about when we get together ;)  I so far haven't had the chance to convert anyone (to an anime fan) because as I said I tend to hang out with people who are already watching anime.

Btw, I watched the first episode of SAO II, I truly hope it is as good as SAO was!  I truly don't get why SAO gets a lot hate tho, a lot people I've talked with hate it and think it's an awful anime!  But why..... I really liked it :lol:  I understood all their gaming vocab, but I understand why those who have never played a MMORPG felt lost and said it was a horrible anime :rolleyes:

Edited by Sefarad, 25 September 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#51 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:52 PM

I watched season one of Sword Art Online and liked it, but it annoys me when people say that it's the best anime ever, or that it's better than Attack on Titan and Kill La Kill.

That's a stretch. SAO is good but it's not the best anime ever made.

People who like Sword Art Online never give credit to ./Hack which pretty much started the whole "trapped in an MMORPG" thing years ago.

SAO is not the first anime about people trapped in an MMORPG.

#52 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:51 PM

I honestly liked Attack on Titan way more :)  I... read the manga, lol.  I know, I shouldn't do it, if I do then when the second season comes out the show might lose some of its shock value thanks to that!  But it's so hard to wait for that second season to come out!  Do you agree?  I'm not even fan of manga, but that anime is just awesome!

#53 TatsuKaji

TatsuKaji

Cordial

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:39 PM

I watched season one of Sword Art Online and liked it, but it annoys me when people say that it's the best anime ever, or that it's better than Attack on Titan and Kill La Kill.

That's a stretch. SAO is good but it's not the best anime ever made.

People who like Sword Art Online never give credit to ./Hack which pretty much started the whole "trapped in an MMORPG" thing years ago.

SAO is not the first anime about people trapped in an MMORPG.

"Best anime ever" is an opinion, everyone has their idea of what that show might be. Taking someone's opinion as a 100% fact is something you might need to get over. and I've watched ./Hack and I found it absolutely boring. It's not so much about "Trapped in an mmorpg" thing as it is to something that you can relate to. Hell if you wanted to go back to the first thing I saw about someone being trapped in a videogame then you would have to go back to Captain N: The Game Master. Which came out LONG before ./Hack even existed...

Most of my best and closest friend DO watch anime ;)  I don't know why, but for some reason I seem to get along better with those who do watch anime, at least we have something to talk about when we get together ;)  I so far haven't had the chance to convert anyone (to an anime fan) because as I said I tend to hang out with people who are already watching anime.

Btw, I watched the first episode of SAO II, I truly hope it is as good as SAO was!  I truly don't get why SAO gets a lot hate tho, a lot people I've talked with hate it and think it's an awful anime!  But why..... I really liked it :lol:  I understood all their gaming vocab, but I understand why those who have never played a MMORPG felt lost and said it was a horrible anime :rolleyes:

I think SAO gets a lot of hate because of a few things, one being people hyping up the anime. (But this happens to EVERY anime someone likes so I don't know why people take it seriously.) and then people trying to compare it to previous animes, when literally every anime is a rehash of something that has been done at one point or another and people just can't enjoy it for what it is. another thing is some people consider SAO to be a harem anime, which I can kind of see but it's not.

#54 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:13 AM

The thing that bugs me about non-anime people is that they'll say that anime and video games are for kids, and meanwhile they know all the lyrics to the songs from Frozen.

Disney movies are even more childish than the anime and video games that these people put down, but they don't see it that way because Disney movies have mainstream popularity and liking them makes you fit in.

#55 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:58 PM

Hahaha, yeah!  I honestly learn to ignore those people a long time ago :) I love anime, I like to watch it from time to time, but unless I met someone who tells me they do too, that's when I tell them I also watch and enjoy tremendously what some animes have to offer.  Right now I'm just waiting for the second season of Attack on Titan!!!  Disney wish they made cartoons that were as engaging as some anime shows out there ;)

#56 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:43 PM

I think SAO gets a lot of hate because of a few things, one being people hyping up the anime. (But this happens to EVERY anime someone likes so I don't know why people take it seriously.) and then people trying to compare it to previous animes, when literally every anime is a rehash of something that has been done at one point or another and people just can't enjoy it for what it is. another thing is some people consider SAO to be a harem anime, which I can kind of see but it's not.

Uhm yeah, at first it really feels like one of those harem anime shows, that is kinda irritating now that you mention it!  Plus ehh, I wonder if I was the only one who found it really odd when Kirito's sister confessed she was in love with him?  I know she wasn't his sister, but still, they grew up together, didn't they?  YIKES!

#57 TatsuKaji

TatsuKaji

Cordial

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:16 PM

Uhm yeah, at first it really feels like one of those harem anime shows, that is kinda irritating now that you mention it!  Plus ehh, I wonder if I was the only one who found it really odd when Kirito's sister confessed she was in love with him?  I know she wasn't his sister, but still, they grew up together, didn't they?  YIKES!

I can see the harem thing, and I totally understand that. I didn't find it odd at all, that sort of thing is just so..standard in anime at this point that I don't even bat an eyelash. There are also a lot of real world scenarios where adopted brother and sister have fallen in love, so its just whatever to me.

#58 legendia

legendia

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:48 PM

The thing that bugs me about non-anime people is that they'll say that anime and video games are for kids, and meanwhile they know all the lyrics to the songs from Frozen.

Disney movies are even more childish than the anime and video games that these people put down, but they don't see it that way because Disney movies have mainstream popularity and liking them makes you fit in.

I think movies like Frozen are part of the problem.  Yes adults may like Frozen, but I still see the movie as childish.  I love anime and don't see most of the shows as childish.  In the US, I really can't think of too many cartoon/CGI shows/movies that I would consider to not be childish.  The cartoons that I know that are made for adults are usually comedies (south park, family guy, etc..).  The stigma is still there that anything that isn't live action isn't meant for adults which makes no sense to me.  Cartoons are simply just one way of telling a story.  It's a bit silly to dismiss all cartoons as being childish.  That would be like saying all books are childish.  Some books are, some aren't, just like some cartoons are childish and some aren't.

It's annoying that a lot of people are also against anything foreign too.  I've seen some great foreign movies and TV shows (live action ones).  For whatever reason, they are never released in theaters here.  Instead, we have to remake them with American actors and producers (Departed, Old Boy).  The best example is the english show "The Inbetweeners".  I loved the origianl English show and thought it was hilarious.  The show was already in english, so it's not like Americans would need subtitles to understand it, but, for some reason, MTV just had to remake the show using Americans.  It ended up being a disaster, and most people still don't know what the Inbetweeners is.

I think the only thing that would change this is if some big, respected names in hollywood started doing work for Anime.  If we could get an anime with american names on it, it might be better.

#59 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:51 AM

I think movies like Frozen are part of the problem.  Yes adults may like Frozen, but I still see the movie as childish.  I love anime and don't see most of the shows as childish.  In the US, I really can't think of too many cartoon/CGI shows/movies that I would consider to not be childish.  The cartoons that I know that are made for adults are usually comedies (south park, family guy, etc..).  The stigma is still there that anything that isn't live action isn't meant for adults which makes no sense to me.  Cartoons are simply just one way of telling a story.  It's a bit silly to dismiss all cartoons as being childish.  That would be like saying all books are childish.  Some books are, some aren't, just like some cartoons are childish and some aren't.

It's annoying that a lot of people are also against anything foreign too.  I've seen some great foreign movies and TV shows (live action ones).  For whatever reason, they are never released in theaters here.  Instead, we have to remake them with American actors and producers (Departed, Old Boy).  The best example is the english show "The Inbetweeners".  I loved the origianl English show and thought it was hilarious.  The show was already in english, so it's not like Americans would need subtitles to understand it, but, for some reason, MTV just had to remake the show using Americans.  It ended up being a disaster, and most people still don't know what the Inbetweeners is.

I think the only thing that would change this is if some big, respected names in hollywood started doing work for Anime.  If we could get an anime with american names on it, it might be better.

I know, it's ridiculous that some people still think that anything animated is for children. I wonder whether those people would still think that if they saw Elfen Lied.

There is nothing cute or childish about Elfen Lied or Gantz, or Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni.

I don't know if Hollywood involvement would help anime. When people heard rumors of Leonardo De Caprio working on an Akira project, they got angry.

I think that people like Tom Cruise and Channing Tatum would ruin anime because Hollywood takes the international flavor out of everything and makes it white and average.

Edited by TVismyfriend, 16 November 2014 - 01:52 AM.

#60 legendia

legendia

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:48 AM

I don't know if Hollywood involvement would help anime. When people heard rumors of Leonardo De Caprio working on an Akira project, they got angry.

I think that people like Tom Cruise and Channing Tatum would ruin anime because Hollywood takes the international flavor out of everything and makes it white and average.

True.  This sort of 'stigma' won't really be solved with a couple of big names like Di Caprio, or Tom Cruise.  It just takes time and more open mindedness.  I feel like, once upon a time, comic books were considered pretty nerdy and unacceptable.  I'd say the comic books themselves still seem a bit nerdy, but some of the biggest movies every year are based on these comic books.  I'd say that's a step in the right direction.  The directors of this movie were able to take 'nerdy' content and make it appeal to the masses.  We just need more stuff like that.  I remember hearing rumors about a Halo movie and an Uncharted movie.  If done well, those could also make more nerdy things appear more cool.

Time will also change this.  It helps that each generation seems to be more and more accepting of these types of things.  Maybe the internet is helping us realize that we aren't the only ones.  If I grew up without the internet, I would think that I was the only person in the world who liked Anime, but now I have found plenty of people like me who enjoy it too and I can discuss it with them.