• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:18 AM

I don't know if Hollywood involvement would help anime. When people heard rumors of Leonardo De Caprio working on an Akira project, they got angry.

I think that people like Tom Cruise and Channing Tatum would ruin anime because Hollywood takes the international flavor out of everything and makes it white and average.

True.  This sort of 'stigma' won't really be solved with a couple of big names like Di Caprio, or Tom Cruise.  It just takes time and more open mindedness.  I feel like, once upon a time, comic books were considered pretty nerdy and unacceptable.  I'd say the comic books themselves still seem a bit nerdy, but some of the biggest movies every year are based on these comic books.  I'd say that's a step in the right direction.  The directors of this movie were able to take 'nerdy' content and make it appeal to the masses.  We just need more stuff like that.  I remember hearing rumors about a Halo movie and an Uncharted movie.  If done well, those could also make more nerdy things appear more cool.

Time will also change this.  It helps that each generation seems to be more and more accepting of these types of things.  Maybe the internet is helping us realize that we aren't the only ones.  If I grew up without the internet, I would think that I was the only person in the world who liked Anime, but now I have found plenty of people like me who enjoy it too and I can discuss it with them.

There was a time when anime wasn't easily available on TV. During the early part of my childhood in the 1980's, there were only a couple of shows. I remember running home after school to watch Voltron. Now that anime is easy to find, a lot of kids are growing up with it and when they grow up ,they will hopefully pass the love of anime on to their kids.

Edited by TVismyfriend, 23 November 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#62 legendia

legendia

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:42 AM

I don't know if Hollywood involvement would help anime. When people heard rumors of Leonardo De Caprio working on an Akira project, they got angry.

I think that people like Tom Cruise and Channing Tatum would ruin anime because Hollywood takes the international flavor out of everything and makes it white and average.

True.  This sort of 'stigma' won't really be solved with a couple of big names like Di Caprio, or Tom Cruise.  It just takes time and more open mindedness.  I feel like, once upon a time, comic books were considered pretty nerdy and unacceptable.  I'd say the comic books themselves still seem a bit nerdy, but some of the biggest movies every year are based on these comic books.  I'd say that's a step in the right direction.  The directors of this movie were able to take 'nerdy' content and make it appeal to the masses.  We just need more stuff like that.  I remember hearing rumors about a Halo movie and an Uncharted movie.  If done well, those could also make more nerdy things appear more cool.

Time will also change this.  It helps that each generation seems to be more and more accepting of these types of things.  Maybe the internet is helping us realize that we aren't the only ones.  If I grew up without the internet, I would think that I was the only person in the world who liked Anime, but now I have found plenty of people like me who enjoy it too and I can discuss it with them.

There was a time when anime wasn't easily available on TV. During the early part of my childhood in the 1980's, there were only a couple of shows. I remember running home after school to watch Voltron. Now that anime is easy to find, a lot of kids are growing up with it and when they grow up ,they will hopefully pass the love of anime on to their kids.

I was born in 1985, so I feel like I mostly grew up in the 90s, but, even then, things have changed a lot.  I agree, though, I think, with each new generation, people will be more and more accepting.  I will for sure introduce my future kids to anime, gaming, and all the other nerdy hobbies I have.  Even if they do not end up liking it, I will make sure they are more accepting of other people's hobbies, and not to just judge them because a handful of people think those hobbies aren't 'cool'.

#63 TatsuKaji

TatsuKaji

Cordial

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:10 AM

Having grown up on anime from the early 90s, when you could only find it on very specific channels after midnight, watching some of the old 80s anime was wonderful. Animne is something my future kids will definitely watch. I'll be encouraging them to watch anything and everything that suits their taste. that goes for disney and pixar stuff as well. lol but I see the fear of popular actors being mixed into anime at some point in a few post back, if that happens eeeeehhhh, I don't even know.

#64 legendia

legendia

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:42 PM

Having grown up on anime from the early 90s, when you could only find it on very specific channels after midnight, watching some of the old 80s anime was wonderful. Animne is something my future kids will definitely watch. I'll be encouraging them to watch anything and everything that suits their taste. that goes for disney and pixar stuff as well. lol but I see the fear of popular actors being mixed into anime at some point in a few post back, if that happens eeeeehhhh, I don't even know.

That's the best way to do with kids.  People shoulnd't shun them away from something like Anime (or whatever) just because it's not popular.  Give them what they like.  If my son likes more 'girly' movies, then who am I to take away his fun.  If my daugher likes more boyish things, same goes for her.  I'd like to introduce my kids to all my passions in life, but won't force them to like anything.  The first show that got me into Anime was the Last Airbender.  I know it's not an anime, but I think it's a great 'gateway' show to introduce people to anime.  I made my girlfriend watch it.  She was usually turned off by anime because of the cartoony look, the subtitles, and just generally had the opinion that Anime was for kids.  She loved The Last Airbender and we are currently watching the Legend of Korra as well as FullMetal Alchemist (the second Anime I watched).  I'd say that's a successful gateway show.

Anyway, I plan to start my kids on TLA as well.  Perfect show for kids and non-anime watchers. I also think has some great lessons and values that it teaches in the show.

#65 TvPerson

TvPerson

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:32 PM

One of my favorite animes to this day is Yu Yu Hakusho. It had a nice length in it's amount episodes it; it didn't overstay it's welcome when it comes to some other animes that go on for 300+ episodes. The character was believable in the sense that he was just an average school delinquent that didn't like school. Yet, you saw other aspects of him as the anime proceeds along it's different arcs. The characters all had a past or different flaws that made them seem authentic and it had a great way to start off it's first episode. (Seriously, how often do you see a character killed of in the FIRST episode and that character is your protagonist!) I loved that each character got closure at the end of the series and it didn't make it feel like it was poorly put together. You felt that you were ending on a good note and that you didn't want it to end, but it was a journey that was well fought. 

#66 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:02 PM

Yeah, when Hollywood gets its hands on things ,they usually end up commercialized and lose their edge. I can't see anything good happening with A list actors getting involved in anime. I don't even like the English dubs of a lot of anime shows.

#67 FanGirl

FanGirl

Cordial

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:54 AM

When I first heard of anime I did not think I would like it, they all seemed like Dragon ball Z kinds of shows. I have to say my opinion has since changed. There are some excellent anime series out there, very thought provoking in the content. There are also so anime that is rather childish. I tend to like the paranormal based ones, the last one I watched was Hellsing, I thought from the beginning it would be awful but actually it was quite good. I have gone thru a few different ones, still my favorite is Black Butler.

#68 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:42 PM

When I first heard of anime I did not think I would like it, they all seemed like Dragon ball Z kinds of shows. I have to say my opinion has since changed. There are some excellent anime series out there, very thought provoking in the content. There are also so anime that is rather childish. I tend to like the paranormal based ones, the last one I watched was Hellsing, I thought from the beginning it would be awful but actually it was quite good. I have gone thru a few different ones, still my favorite is Black Butler.

I love Black Butler. I wish I had a Sebastian to take care of a few annoying people in my life. Sebastian is pretty hot for a demonic butler.

#69 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:48 AM

I'm not even sure if Legend of Korra is anime? But after the ending, a lot of people don't seem to be very happy about the fact that Korra and Asami ended up together. Romantically lol. The writers of the show - or would we call them the drawers of the show? - have put out a statement telling the fans who are still refuting their romance to deal with it lmao!! I love it.

#70 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:32 PM

I'm not even sure if Legend of Korra is anime? But after the ending, a lot of people don't seem to be very happy about the fact that Korra and Asami ended up together. Romantically lol. The writers of the show - or would we call them the drawers of the show? - have put out a statement telling the fans who are still refuting their romance to deal with it lmao!! I love it.

It's the show creators' call if two characters end up together. People should respect the artistic decisions of the creators, even if they don't agree with them.

#71 AllBuffedUp

AllBuffedUp

Cordial

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:37 PM

It's the show creators' call if two characters end up together. People should respect the artistic decisions of the creators, even if they don't agree with them.

Interesting point.

I, for one, think it's not so straight-forward. Before, there was a story you were offered, and you took it. It was a one way street. These days, modes of storytelling have become more dynamic and interactive. Not only do fans come together to argue and chat about the stories they love, they also write their own versions, parodying or "fixing" points they don't agree with, finding a readership of more fans like them. Fans also have an influence on the writing of shows and stories -- shows coming back, shows winking at the audience or using inside jokes or easter eggs, etc.

So, of course, a show's creators will have the last word over the canon. That does not mean that their work cannot take a life of their own when they're done with it! In my case, I do not agree, nor do I respect the choice of the writers of HIMYM concerning the finale. I respect and admire a lot of the original work and ideas they brought up over the years. Does not mean that I can be convinced to respect this one decision, that to me felt like a complete betrayal of the viewers and of what the show should have stood for.

But on a more anime oriented point --

I grew up in the 90s, it was very hip to watch Dragon Ball, Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, Sakura Card Captor and a bunch of other mangas. My favorite animes are Prince of Tennis, Peach Girl, Ouran High School Host Club and Paradise Kiss. I read many of the Yu Yu Hakusho, never watched the anime but reading about it right now made me want to check it out! Knowing it did not go on forever is a welcomed sign.

#72 Beabo

Beabo

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:53 AM

It's not generally considered to be anime, but I believe the Avatar franchise draws a lot of inspiration from anime anyway. I haven't watched the shows, but I was really happy with that ending! A few friends of mine have been fervent in their love for Asami and Korra, and watching them be happy because the two girls got together (and still remained friends with the guy, I believe?) made me ridiculously happy as well. Plus, I think it's good that bisexuality gets some kind of exposure in today's media!

#73 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:15 AM

I agree with you on the bisexuality representation in today's mainstream media. Not only were they bisexual, but they were also non-white women, which I also loved!!! Hahaha, because I have friends who ship Tv shows/cartoon characters, and when they actually get what they want, the smiles are blinding lol.

#74 KimberlyD

KimberlyD

Friendly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:50 PM

I have been trying to find a good Anime for sometime now.  I miss watching them.  I especially like the movies.  The TV show ones are starting to gear more towards kids then adults and are become cartoonish.  Anyone have any suggestions of some good ones to watch?

#75 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:50 PM

I grew u watching Dragon Ball z, lol.  I thought it was so cool growing up, but I'd definitely not watch it now! I personally love piece of life anime, as well as paranormal and post apocalyptic ones. Those two are so awesome, I personally loved Nana! I don't think it'll ever come back, but oh well!  Everything will be ok as long as Attack on Titan is back very soon!   Love that kind of anime, sometimes i feel like I'm watching a really cool and dramatic movie when watching attack on titan.  I also love it because it makes me think a lot... wondering if that crazy theory about the titans being a creation of some mad scientist and so on :P So awesome!