• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

Her loyalty for the homeland is fanatical. She says so herself. I have to know more about her background before I totally write her off. I don't care for such blind devotion, the reasoning behind it must be good. 

Are the children theirs biologically?

OMG! it is Phil Collins :lol:

I am willing to concede that the rape earlier made it easier for her to be the type of spy she is.

Kids are biologically theirs, yes.

I still don't completely get Elizabeth and the hows and whys of her feelings. It's what makes her so interesting. You can feel for her, see yourself making those hard choices in her place until a moment later when you don't understand why she does anything and you hate her.  I think they were very lucky to find Keri Russell for the character b/c she brings a softness to her that isn't there otherwise...and it would be impossible to like her without it.

Her husband is definitely the more likeable character, but I like that Elizabeth is so difficult and layered.

#2 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

I am learning more about her. I think she should be with Gregory and leave Philip to raise the kids. He is better at it anyway. He won't mind since he ships them.

I just remember where I've seen Philip before. On Brothers and Sisters playing a gay character. The transformation to being a rugged spy is thorough because it took it a while for me to reconcile the previous role. 

Elizabeth joining the KGB at such a young age is so sad. She missed out on her youth. I understand why she couldn't open up to Philip. He was a mission. I feel the turning point in their relationship was when she told him about the rape. Kinda weird being that they have two children. I would have thought the emotional connection now is contrived if telling him about the secret wasn't like a catalyst.  

The dead agent should NOT have sent Joyce into the arms of KGB. The only reason he wouldn't be around would be because of them yet he sent her to them? He must have hated  to introduce her into the world that got him killed.

Captain was the catalyst for Elizabeth to finally open up to Phillip. The disconnect between Elizabeth and Phillip will become more evident as you continue to watch. The changing political climate of the time and feeling betrayed by the people they should trust the most draws Elizabeth and Phillip closer despite the disconnect. They are complex for sure.

I think they're the most complex couple on TV...and this season is supposed to be even crazier. I can't wait for it to start again!

#3 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:37 PM

I am so uncomfortable with the way they use sex to get their way. Surely they are smarter than that.

In 1.5 Comint, that S&M turned abusive sexual encounter made my skin crawl. She should have snapped out of character and killed the asshole. You know she is trigger happy from the way she off'ed the security guard in the episode before.

I like the show but I am stuck on, they are not smart people. If you are going to be a spy and whip out your vagina or penis at a moment's notice then you are a piss poor spy.

I still don't understand why  Elizabeth would go to such lengths for the love of her country. Like, really! 

I don't think they're unintelligent. I think they're working with what works, almost all the time. People are lonely, people are horny...you can work with that by making them fall in love with your or engaging them in a relationship. It's faster than having to think of something more complex and the point of most ops is to get in, get the info and get going.

It makes me uncomfortable too! I'd much prefer they didn't do it, esp. with Elizabeth b/c she's so tiny and I'm like...oh I hope you're not in getting into a dangerous situation. I realize the absurdity of this statement, she's a kickass spy who can hurt people but...I forget that for a split second EVERY time and worry for her safety.

The perspective is hard to wrap around and I think that's a cultural thing. In America, we're taught we can do anything we want, be anything we want to be, our dreams are available to us, the pursuit of (our own) happiness is a right. I'm thinking that in Russia, esp. at this time, the pursuit of their own happiness or desires was unattainable and not talked about; she probably spent her formative years being drilled about the importance of country and how her life is only important as how it relates to furthering Russia.

#4 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

I finished season one today and I absolutely love this show. Season 2 premieres in February. Is anyone else here watching this show?

#5 Phoenix360

Phoenix360

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:47 AM

I have never watched this show before and until now, I've never heard of it either. It looks pretty interesting and I'd like to catch up before the next season starts, so I'm hoping it's available on Netflix? If not, I may have to seek alternative means. In a brief overview without giving much away, how would you describe what the show is all about? 

#6 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:57 AM

It's very good! The FX channel might replay season one in the next few weeks in preparation for season two that starts in February. You may want to keep an eye out on the FX channel guide.

I'm also sure season one can be found on torrents, but that may take more effort than what it's worth.

The last option is to buy the season from Amazon or iTunes. I used a gift certificate from Amazon to buy the first season and it was worth it. The SD option was $21.99 and I was able to connect my Amazon account to my Roku account so I could watch it on TV instead of my laptop.

As for the show, at first it reminded me of Alias. Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys are secret agents living a double life in a No. Virginia suburb, but instead their loyalties are to Russia and the KGB. The first 10 minutes of the first episode sets the tone for the show better than any I have seen in a long time. Without giving away too much, we learn more about Elizabeth and Phillip's relationship and how they came to be. Each episode is set around assignments they have to perform for the KGB. Meanwhile they have to keep an eye out on their new neighbor who happens to work for the FBI. It's very intriguing. Mind you all of this is set in the early 1980s, which gives us an interesting and nostalgic soundtrack to go along with a very good show.

#7 Phoenix360

Phoenix360

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:09 AM

Ok, great. Thanks for the info on how to access the show and the entire overview. It sounds even more interesting to me now and something that will keep me on the edge watching. I don't get FX where I am and I'm not too experienced with the torrents, so I'm probably going to have to look to Amazon or iTunes.

#8 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:56 PM

Edited by iambre, 25 January 2014 - 12:25 AM.

#9 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:24 AM

More from the GQ article.

Soviet-spy love has a real Ike and Tina meets Mr. & Mrs. Smith vibe. As the early-'80s KGB couple in The Americans, last year's breakout show, Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys threaten to shiv each other every now and then. In real life, too: Russell beats on Rhys. Seriously. “The smack usually comes the second before they say ‘Action,’” Rhys says of Russell's pre-take pump-up routine. “Basically, I am starting every scene with a slightly shocked look on my face and a red handprint on my cheek.” The FX drama is pretty much just that: an unexpected slap of dirty politics, lustful betrayal, Reagan-era propaganda, and tons and tons of тpaxaньe (that's Russian for “boning”). But among the explosions and honey traps that occupy the forthcoming second season, the most hazardous material concerns parenthood and marriage.“I love that she's a mom who doesn't always get it right,” Russell says of her character, Elizabeth Jennings. “She's making a bologna sandwich for her kids one minute and then blowing a guy in a hotel for intel the next.” It's safe to assume Russell is referring more to the blow jobs than the bologna when she says The Americans is “a guy's show.” She continues: “There's a lot of action, definitely some tits and ass showing. But it has a psychological-thriller element I think really appeals to women.” High-speed espionage. Sex-favor interrogation. And a pretty lady slapping around her husband. What woman's resisting that?

1390407398168_the-americans-keri-russell

1390407398171_the-americans-keri-russell

1390407398173_the-americans-keri-russell

#10 GGirls

GGirls

Friendly

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:29 AM

1390407398168_the-americans-keri-russell

I'll bet you real cash, she can' hold this pose for more than 5 minutes. 

I hope it becomes available on Netlfix soon.

#11 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

I just started on the pilot. Don't like the honey pot trait of Elizabeth. It happened so early in the series that, to me, it is her defining trait. A very unflattering one at that. I prefer protagonists who are smart enough to not have to resort to using sex to gain the upper hand. I'll give it a few episodes to see.

I have a question. Did the captain rape Elizabeth in the underground garage training place? I assume it was a flashback. He is in the back of the trunk in present day, right?

The answers will come, I know that, but I am a bit impatient lol.

#12 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

I just started on the pilot. Don't like the honey pot trait of Elizabeth. It happened so early in the series that, to me, it is her defining trait. A very unflattering one at that. I prefer protagonists who are smart enough to not have to resort to using sex to gain the upper hand. I'll give it a few episodes to see.

I have a question. Did the captain rape Elizabeth in the underground garage training place? I assume it was a flashback. He is in the back of the trunk in present day, right?

The answers will come, I know that, but I am a bit impatient lol.

You will see more sides of Elizabeth, she's a complex character for sure. She's all about the KGB life, so any means necessary.

Yes the man who's in the trunk in present day is the same man who raped Elizabeth in the flashback.

Be patient - you'll love this show. It's a smart show that has all the elements of a good drama.

Here's a new clip for season 2.

https://www.facebook...647314838665453

#13 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

Her loyalty for the homeland is fanatical. She says so herself. I have to know more about her background before I totally write her off. I don't care for such blind devotion, the reasoning behind it must be good. 

Are the children theirs biologically?

OMG! it is Phil Collins :lol:

I am willing to concede that the rape earlier made it easier for her to be the type of spy she is.

#14 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

Yes the kids are theirs biologically.

I'm biting my tongue for now to not spoil you.

Are you on episode 2 yet? I may watch again so we can chat in detail.

#15 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

I don't want to be too harsh on Elizabeth, I've only seen the pilot, and the rape made me look at the sexual content of her job a little differently. But man, she is hard to like and I think Jenners hit the nail on the head. There is no softness to her in the writing as at now. The actress is bringing a vulnerability that is very much needed for this kind of role at this point. The portrayal is enough for now but I am going to need the writing to back it up soon.

I love the husband not because he is ready to cut ties with the spy world. It is because he's been shown, in the pilot alone, to be badass spy and a good family guy. He takes the kids to the mall, go to school events and defends his daughter's honor like only a spy can. Elizabeth? Not so much. She is all about the spying. She realizes that her kids are Americans right? Since I assume they are born here.

What a coincidence that the FBI guy moves into their neighborhood, on the same street lol. 

I am starting episode 2 in about an hour.

#16 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

I am totally fine with Philip screwing in the name of the job. I guess I should be over Elizabeth doing the same. I kinda hate him for brining such horribleness to the poor African American family. He and Elizabeth are terrible people. 

I am seeing the crack in Elizabeth regarding her kids now.

About the other characters, I really like FBI guy and his wife. I want her hair anyway.

#17 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:30 PM

I am totally fine with Philip screwing in the name of the job. I guess I should be over Elizabeth doing the same. I kinda hate him for brining such horribleness to the poor African American family. He and Elizabeth are terrible people. 

I am seeing the crack in Elizabeth regarding her kids now.

About the other characters, I really like FBI guy and his wife. I want her hair anyway.

Haha! Such a double standard, but I get it.

In response, Martha.

I'll just leave it at that for now.

The next episode, Gregory, is good. You'll learn more about Elizabeth.

#18 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

I am learning more about her. I think she should be with Gregory and leave Philip to raise the kids. He is better at it anyway. He won't mind since he ships them.

I just remember where I've seen Philip before. On Brothers and Sisters playing a gay character. The transformation to being a rugged spy is thorough because it took it a while for me to reconcile the previous role. 

Elizabeth joining the KGB at such a young age is so sad. She missed out on her youth. I understand why she couldn't open up to Philip. He was a mission. I feel the turning point in their relationship was when she told him about the rape. Kinda weird being that they have two children. I would have thought the emotional connection now is contrived if telling him about the secret wasn't like a catalyst.  

The dead agent should NOT have sent Joyce into the arms of KGB. The only reason he wouldn't be around would be because of them yet he sent her to them? He must have hated  to introduce her into the world that got him killed.

#19 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

Captain was the catalyst for Elizabeth to finally open up to Phillip. The disconnect between Elizabeth and Phillip will become more evident as you continue to watch. The changing political climate of the time and feeling betrayed by the people they should trust the most draws Elizabeth and Phillip closer despite the disconnect. They are complex for sure.

#20 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

I am so uncomfortable with the way they use sex to get their way. Surely they are smarter than that.

In 1.5 Comint, that S&M turned abusive sexual encounter made my skin crawl. She should have snapped out of character and killed the asshole. You know she is trigger happy from the way she off'ed the security guard in the episode before.

I like the show but I am stuck on, they are not smart people. If you are going to be a spy and whip out your vagina or penis at a moment's notice then you are a piss poor spy.

I still don't understand why  Elizabeth would go to such lengths for the love of her country. Like, really!