• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:16 AM

I do enjoy this version of Hawaii Five-O, but to be fair I've barely seen any of the original. I won't say this one is better or worse, but it certainly keeps my interest. I mostly started watching it because it was the only thing on in that timeslot, but now I look forward to watching new episodes when they're on.

#2 Rekoj09

Rekoj09

Friendly

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

I think Daniel Dae Kim and Masi Oka are the only actors on the show who I've seen on other shows. I think they're both terrific on here, for sure. I like everyone else, as well; I'm just not as familiar with their past work.

#3 Squared

Squared

Cordial

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:40 AM

Happy to hear that CBS are making a third series of this show. :P Lots of eye candy for me and a chance to listen to my mother tell me yet again how much better the original series was! (She still makes time to watch this one with me though!)

#4 Deborah1962

Deborah1962

Cordial

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

I am nearly 50 and I caught all the original Five-0 shows when they aired. I had a crush on Jack Lord, I couldn't wait to park myself to watch him and that famous line: "Book em Danno;" I had a crush on Danno too, but, the theme song I hear every once in a while played on our old school radio station in my city and every time it does, I hum it, the entire theme song. It conjures up memories of the hula girls, the surfer and of course the huge tidal wave. Now I know enough to soak in the beautiful Hawaiian Islands, then all I could see was Jack Lord.

#5 opal

opal

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:59 AM

I am also a 1st generation Five-O fan so when this remake came out I had to watch it. I love a show that always turns out good. The bad guys are caught and everybody lives happily ever after. This one is a little more soap opera though with the ongoing story of McGarrett's father and Dano's family. It keeps me watching.

#6 CarrieAnn

CarrieAnn

Cordial

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:33 AM

Oh I remember the original show well. :) At first I was reluctant to watch as they usually change things up so when they do a remake but I think it came out pretty good. You do have to consider that times have changed a lot since the first ones aired! I'm waiting now for the new season to get started.

#7 toobi

toobi

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

I was surprised at how much I ended up liking this. I also saw the original series and like it back then so was skeptical about it being re-done. This doesn't feel like a re-make though. About the only thing that is really the same is that they're in Hawaii. It feels like an entirely new show and I like the characters on this one. I admit that it did take me a few shows before I really warmed up to it but I tend to be like that with any new series.

#8 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Wow, I'm just like the rest of you remember the older, original version. So when this one was first announced I was skeptical. The firsts thought that came to my mind was "oh boy, another 70's or 80's classic their bringing back because they have no other ideas". But oddly enough, this show turned out pretty decent.

#9 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

Well, I have watched this version of Hawaii Five-O and I have to admit that I can see why some do like it. But for me I think I'll head over to Me-TV and watch reruns of the original instead. Not that this one is bad, I found it quite good in the few episode that I have seen, just that the dynamic is different. One of the things I really didn't like about it though, it seem like at times the music was drowning out the dialogue. It was at this times you welcomed a fight between Steve and Danny so you could understand what they were actually saying, LOL. Another thing that I don't like is that I wish this show would decide once and for all what it actually is. If its a revision of the original or carrying the show into the future. Yes, I know many of you will tell me that it a revision, well if that's the case then explain to me how Ed Asner's character who originally appeared in season eight of the original series has shown up on the new one. He wasn't playing a new character it was the same one. Also, how can they now revisit Hookman. You know if I were to be honest the one complaint I do have about the new Five-O is that they seem to want a new version of the show but they also want to lean on the old one. Sorry, it doesn't work that way, the only way this works is if you do what the series Dallas did, and take the show into the future.

#10 n87

n87

Cordial

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

The remake of Hawaii 5-0 started off cheesy but then it just kept getting better and better with more and more action and charm, and nice suspense and mystery. I hope they keep renewing this show.

#11 KaraFrakkingThrace

KaraFrakkingThrace

Shy

• 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:54 AM

I've never seen the original show, but I enjoyed the first season of the new one. Man, talk about eye candy! I loved all the beautiful Hawaiian scenery... and also all the shirtless Alex O'Loughlin. ;)

I never picked the show back up after the hiatus, though. Not sure why. Maybe I was just watching too many other things that (shirtless Alex O'Loughlin notwithstanding) I just liked better.

#12 cjcassada

cjcassada

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

I've seen the original Hawaii Five O and even though I liked it, I prefer the new version. The new Hawaii Five O has a great cast and lots of action that keeps me interested in the episode. Alex O'Loughlin and Scott Caan are wonderful as the new McGarrett and Danno, I love when they have their arguments in the car. I just hope the show will continue to do well once it moves to Friday nights.

#13 XxMotleyCrueXx

XxMotleyCrueXx

Cordial

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

I was thinking of watching this show only because Alex O' Loughlin is in, And I LOVED him in the show Moonlight as 'Mick" (If your a Alex fan, I HIGHLY recommend you watch "Moonlight' "Mick" (Alex O' Loughlin) is a good vampire who is a detective and helps a girl named "Beth" fend off crime. Since I seen this show and felt the attraction towards Alex O' Loughlin I have been wanting to watch Hawaii 5-0 but dont know if its any good.Mick-moonlight-1234906_1280_1024.jpg

#14 Tempe

Tempe

Cordial

• 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

I like Hawaii 5-0. I've only seen a few of the original, and the remake is just fine with me. The characters work well together, and have formed a cohesive group. I'll be interested to see how the new season goes.

#15 Aquar

Aquar

Cordial

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:34 PM

I've only watched the episodes with Nick Jonas in it and they were entertaining so I'd say it's a quality series. It's just not the kind of series that is for me. Anyway I loved him in it because I thought he made a great villain. Also Alex O Loughlin is not bad looking for someone that is usually too old for me.

#16 muppet10

muppet10

Cordial

• 16 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:56 AM

I was a big fan of the original show as a child but have only just got around to getting hold of the first season of the new 5-0. I am expecting it to be a revised version rather than a remake of the original. I hope that will be the case as i don't think a remake could recreate the charm of the original.

The original series was a big gamble as Hawaii had only been a U.S state for nine years when production began in 1968 and few people knew much about the island. Jack Lord was legendary as the original Steve McGarrett, but was reported to be a tyrant to work with and known for being reclusive away from work.

I look forward to seeing the scenery of Hawaii once again and how the show has been re imagined for the 21st century.