• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#181 Phoenix360

Phoenix360

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:41 PM

Just a way to milk more money out of the original series. Yes it does tarnish the original series albeit indirectly.

I can agree with this to a certain extent, because it wasn't like Saul was this big character that all of the fans loved. At least not to the point where the creators and writers felt like they had to give the world more of him? Because of that, it does seem like they have created this series just to milk Breaking Bad. But on the other hand, if you have low expectations for Better Call Saul it is bound to surprise us and be better than we'd originally think.

Yeah I think even though this show is partly being produced to continue on the Breaking Bad legacy in some way, it will end up exceeding our expectations of it since our expectations remain at a pretty much flat line level right now. But Vince Gilligan is heading the project and he masterminded the greatness that is Breaking Bad, so we should have some confidence that it will turn out decent in the worst case scenario. I would surely love to see some flash-forwards in the show too, where we get to see what becomes of Jesse Pinkman and even Walt's family. That'd be sweet!

#182 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:39 PM

I just wanted to share this with Breaking Bad fans! I found that people are selling blue rock candy in bags with Heisenberg stickers on Etsy. It's a cute Christmas gift for fans of the series.

il_340x270.553914598_pts0.jpg

Edited by sillylucy, 21 November 2014 - 06:40 PM.

#183 legendia

legendia

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:32 PM

Just a way to milk more money out of the original series. Yes it does tarnish the original series albeit indirectly.

I can agree with this to a certain extent, because it wasn't like Saul was this big character that all of the fans loved. At least not to the point where the creators and writers felt like they had to give the world more of him? Because of that, it does seem like they have created this series just to milk Breaking Bad. But on the other hand, if you have low expectations for Better Call Saul it is bound to surprise us and be better than we'd originally think.

Yeah I think even though this show is partly being produced to continue on the Breaking Bad legacy in some way, it will end up exceeding our expectations of it since our expectations remain at a pretty much flat line level right now. But Vince Gilligan is heading the project and he masterminded the greatness that is Breaking Bad, so we should have some confidence that it will turn out decent in the worst case scenario. I would surely love to see some flash-forwards in the show too, where we get to see what becomes of Jesse Pinkman and even Walt's family. That'd be sweet!

Yeah, we shouldn't doubt Gilligan.  If you had told me that the Dad from Malcolm in the middle was going to play a drug lord in this new TV show, I would have laughed my butt off at the idea, but Gilligan had a vision and believed in it.  He has definitely proven himself, so I shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the new show.  It's not like Saul will be the entire show either.  Breaking bad had a number of great supporting actors, and I'm sure Saul will have the same.  Some flash-forwards would be very cool.  I always love it when follow-up shows or spin-offs make little references to their original shows.  Doesn't even have to be that big, but just a small mention here or there.

#184 wulfman

wulfman

Cordial

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:25 AM

Yea I mean I will watch it :P  And good point, with low expectations the show may surprise. Most of the cast already said no. I think Anna Gunn may make several appearances. But these are just rumors.

Edited by wulfman, 25 November 2014 - 08:26 AM.

#185 legendia

legendia

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:00 AM

I wasn't aware that most of the cast said 'no'.  I hope that isn't a bad sign and that they wouldn't participate because they didn't think the quality was up to par.  I'm sure most of them have had huge success since that show so they want to move on to bigger and better things.  I don't blame them one bit.  Some great actors/acctresses were discovered with this show, so they should definitely take advantage of the spotlight they so rightly deserve.

#186 primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:04 AM

So many shows should be cancelled before they reach the "dead seasons", but that was definitely not the case with "Breaking Bad". It was still interesting enough to have survived with a huge fan base for at least another two seasons. Walter White was a very unique character. We see him progress into a ruthless killer and drug maker. Maybe he was always "evil"? In the early seasons he seems weak, but he certainly changes.

On another note, I cannot say I wasn't a little disappointed by the eventually confrontation of Walt and his brother-in-law. I figured Walt would have been more aggressive with him by this point. He had tried to protect him in the past, but he had lost his favor for him by this point.

I am happy that "Better Call Saul" was made. I thought Saul was a great character, and added some comic relief to an otherwise very serious show. I am pretty sure the show will be great, although there are no plans to bring in other characters from "Breaking Bad".

#187 Lushlala

Lushlala

Cordial

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:37 AM

Breaking Bad is one show I very nearly missed out on, as I couldn't really see where you could go with the premise. Luckily, some friends twisted my arm till I caved in and gave it a try, and I ABSOLUTELY loved it. It remains one of my favourite TV shows of all time. I like that they also wrapped it up before it got to a boring point, where you can clearly see it's being milked for all it's worth!

I'm not too sure about the  "Better Call Saul", though. It sounds very bad on paper, but having said that I'll be more than happy to see what it's all about. I agree Saul was welcome comic relief when things got hot and heavy!