• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Arya Stark

Arya Stark

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 549 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

ABC comedies that don't have their own threads can be discussed in this thread.

• The Goldbergs
  • Trophy Wife
  • The Millers
  • The Neighbors

#2 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

I must admit when I first saw the previews of this show I thought it was going to be a cheesy 80's parody. Boy was I wrong, this show has done a spot on job of recreating the 80's. Everything about this show is funny , I can't decide what I like most about it. If I had to choose I would say Adam is my favorite because he is the youngest , yet the most normal person in the family . Often the little guy is often the voice of reason in his family.

#3 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

I can not bring myself to watch either of these shows. They just seem like low-brow TV - maybe it's an attempt to gain more audience share of the crowd that watches Honey Boo Boo, etc., but these shows seem to me to only have an appeal to certain audiences and to people who like to laugh at/make fun of others. Then again, shows like The Office, Community, or Parks and Rec never interested me either.

#4 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

I am not a fan of the Office, Parks and Rec. or Honey Boo Boo , I can't stand any of those shows. Like I said I thought The Goldberg's were going to be that same kind of flavorless corny humor. Give it a chance it is defiantly not what you expect.

#5 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

I am not a fan of the Office, Parks and Rec. or Honey Boo Boo , I can't stand any of those shows. Like I said I thought The Goldberg's were going to be that same kind of flavorless corny humor. Give it a chance it is defiantly not what you expect.

It just doesn't interest me. I've seen clips and I just don't relate to that kind of humor; I guess it's a cultural thing. I prefer watching shows like Big Bang Theory. I have watched a few episodes of Last Man Standing though. It's fairly funny, but I think that's it for TV comedies on the non-cable broadcast networks.

#6 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

• The Goldbergs
  • Trophy Wife
  • The Millers
  • The Neighbors

All four of these are now on regular view list! I really didn't think I'd like The Millers or The Goldbergs. In fact, the latter is REALLY lame. And The Neighbors is really cheesy. 

And yet, here I am, admitting that I have watched every episode of all of them. They're not my favorite shows and they're never going to even rank in my top 10 favorite.... But they're great shows to play in the background while I'm working. They sort of those cheap 'escape' shows. You don't have to pay attention to anything serious or major plot twists. Instead, they're simply good for cheap laughs here or there, and they all fit that bill quite nicely. 

#7 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

• The Goldbergs
  • Trophy Wife
  • The Millers
  • The Neighbors

All four of these are now on regular view list! I really didn't think I'd like The Millers or The Goldbergs. In fact, the latter is REALLY lame. And The Neighbors is really cheesy. 

And yet, here I am, admitting that I have watched every episode of all of them. They're not my favorite shows and they're never going to even rank in my top 10 favorite.... But they're great shows to play in the background while I'm working. They sort of those cheap 'escape' shows. You don't have to pay attention to anything serious or major plot twists. Instead, they're simply good for cheap laughs here or there, and they all fit that bill quite nicely.

Yes you are so right . That is what I love about The Goldbergs and The Miller They are a good a light hearted hardy laugh. Even if you don't watch every week  there is no back story to remember or keep track of. They are both easy shows to watch.

#8 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:02 AM

The Office is a TV landmark over here in the UK, since it originated over here starring Ricky Jervais. I think that many people find it finny because they have been told that they should? I have never laughed at a clip or scene once, and I always want to laugh. Honey Boo Boo, is pure trash TV in my opinion. Does nothing but blacken the soul.

#9 GrodnersPet

GrodnersPet

Friendly

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

Bradford Whitford is good on Trophy Wife. The title was a little off putting at first, but I'm enjoying the show for the fluff it is.  The kids are overexposed, I like the adults more.

#10 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:36 PM

Bradford Whitford is good on Trophy Wife. 

He's amazing, isn't it?? This is the first time I've seen him in anything since West Wing. When I first started watching, I thought there was no way I'd be able to get that image and personality out of my head while watching this show instead, but he does a good job. 

#11 bigbrain50

bigbrain50

Cordial

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:25 PM

He's amazing, isn't it?? This is the first time I've seen him in anything since West Wing. When I first started watching, I thought there was no way I'd be able to get that image and personality out of my head while watching this show instead, but he does a good job. 

been really enjoying cougar town and Shield... ABC is right now bombing...

#12 GrodnersPet

GrodnersPet

Friendly

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:42 PM

I was so sad when I heard Trophy Wife has been cancelled. 

#13 Hjord

Hjord

Noob

• 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

I freaking love the Office. The US version that is. Not sure what they were trying to do with the UK one, make a show that made you want to slam your face into drywall I guess. Office just has a lot good actors in it and through the stupidity it is funny. That is why people laugh at it, because it is stupid humor. Kind of like why people watch Family guy, same principle.

#14 kmommy37

kmommy37

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

I miss the ABC sitcoms of the 80s and 90s because they were really entertaining the family. It behooves me how ABC misses the mark with some of the comedy shows they allow on their channel. For instance, I was more than livid when ABC suddenly cancelled the George Lopez Show and had those ridiculous cavemen as a replacement. Anyone and everyone at some point could relate to the George Lopez show because it covered so many different topics. As for the shows of yesteryear, I so miss the concept of the family show that does not have to be a s shocking to be entertaining.

#15 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:11 PM

I could not get in to trophy wife . The clueless of the new wife was just too much for me to take. Yes she was younger than the other women but she was still an adult and I did not find it funny to watch a grown woman behave  like a 15 year old.

#16 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:46 AM

I did not think that I was going to like the Goldbergs, but I do! I love everything about it! I don't like the 80s and I hated how all of their ads on Facebook said something along the lines of "Do you like the Wonder Years?" I thought it was lame marketing, but the show it great! Give it a try!!

#17 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:29 PM

Has anyone watched Selfie? I really like it, but I don't know how long the premise will work. At some point, she either has to evolve or Henry has to give in or up.

That may be the overall point, but then it may dissolve into the average romcom and that isn't as appealing to me.

#18 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:05 AM

Does anyone else here watch Crestellla.  I have to admit that this is probably the only new sitcom by ABC that I have gotten into.  I guess its because I can relate to the lead character who is living with her family and trying to get her career situated at the same time.  Last weeks episode was hilarious when she and her sister thought their mother was serioulsy ill.  The interactions between the three actresses in the roles and the scenes they shared had me laughing almost through the entire episode. 

#19 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:34 PM

Regarding Selfie.... I thought I was going to like it, but I've sorta lost interest in it already. 

Regarding Cristella.... loving it! I love that they play into the stereotypes and sometimes even cross over into racist areas, but all have fun with it and poke jokes, etc.