• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 MarlineAlcott

MarlineAlcott

Friendly

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

I just got caught up on the new season (I'm loving this Thanksgiving vacation-all my parents do is watch TV so I just get to lay around and catch up on shows while I'm here lol). Looks interesting so far. I like Top Chef because you get to know the people, unlike Chopped, where it's over so fast.

#22 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

I like Top Chef because you get to know the people, unlike Chopped, where it's over so fast.

Oh god, by the time Chopped is over, I'm GLAD it's over because they sit there and repeat their life stories over and over and over again. No, we don't know their whole stories, but they just sensationalize a single detail over and over. Someone who is doing it for their kid....or breast cancer....or wants to own a restaurant. They pick on that one thing and that's all you hear in between the cooking. I really don't like that setup at all.

#23 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

Top Chef is ok however I like Hell's Kitchen better. I sometime zone out when watching Top Chef...maybe it's because there's no screaming in the kitchen. I do admire all the chef's individuality and creativity though.

#24 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

Top Chef is ok however I like Hell's Kitchen better. I sometime zone out when watching Top Chef...maybe it's because there's no screaming in the kitchen. I do admire all the chef's individuality and creativity though.

I feel sorry for those chefs at Hell's Kitchen. I'm shocked Ramsey hasn't been at least purposely hospitalized by one of the chefs. Because I'm not sure if I would be able to take his constant yelling and berating without harming him.

#25 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

I feel sorry for those chefs at Hell's Kitchen. I'm shocked Ramsey hasn't been at least purposely hospitalized by one of the chefs. Because I'm not sure if I would be able to take his constant yelling and berating without harming him.

Ha ha!! You know you are absolutely right! I think if it were not for the cameras filming I'm sure Chef Ramsey would have been hospitalized many times. I give them credit for their patience and controlling their emotions. I 'm a peaceful non confrontational person myself, but even I have my limits, especially if I'm blatantly disrespected.

#26 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

Ha ha!! You know you are absolutely right! I think if it were not for the cameras filming I'm sure Chef Ramsey would have been hospitalized many times. I give them credit for their patience and controlling their emotions. I 'm a peaceful non confrontational person myself, but even I have my limits, especially if I'm blatantly disrespected.

I'm telling you. One day, camera or no camera, he's going to push the wrong person a bit too far. And when that happens, he's going to get hurt, REALLY bad.

#27 MarlineAlcott

MarlineAlcott

Friendly

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

I'm not looking at the posts because I haven't seen the latest epsiode. But does anyone know where I can watch this online, or when it may repeat on Bravo? I'm pissed because I simply can't stay up until 11pm at night watching the new episode that comes on at 10. I need to wake up early in the mornings and my bedtime is around 1030. I thought they would replay the rerun episode before the new one so I could watch it at 9 but they haven't been! Does it play anywhere online? Or at a different time/day on Bravo?

#28 realityjunkie2

realityjunkie2

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

I'm surprised C.J. was asked to pack his knives so early in the game. I think he's a good chef and I like his demeanor. I hope he gets the chance to come back via Last Chance Kitchen.

#29 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:05 AM

I like Top Chef because you get to know the people, unlike Chopped, where it's over so fast.

Oh god, by the time Chopped is over, I'm GLAD it's over because they sit there and repeat their life stories over and over and over again. No, we don't know their whole stories, but they just sensationalize a single detail over and over. Someone who is doing it for their kid....or breast cancer....or wants to own a restaurant. They pick on that one thing and that's all you hear in between the cooking. I really don't like that setup at all.

LMAO, that's like a lot of the cooking shows on Food Network these days too. They make some super basic recipe like mashed potatoes, then spend the whole 30 minutes talking about their friends and family, and cutting to shots of them walking around their idyllic homes and these huge gardens that they supposedly plant all by themselves, sipping wine on their patios in some mansion overlooking the wine orchards of Nappa Valley... 

I'm not looking at the posts because I haven't seen the latest epsiode. But does anyone know where I can watch this online, or when it may repeat on Bravo? I'm pissed because I simply can't stay up until 11pm at night watching the new episode that comes on at 10. I need to wake up early in the mornings and my bedtime is around 1030. I thought they would replay the rerun episode before the new one so I could watch it at 9 but they haven't been! Does it play anywhere online? Or at a different time/day on Bravo?

I would suggest checking out either:

http://www.tvmuse.eu

Or Project Free TV at:

http://projectfree.tv/

Some important things to note though. The TV Muse site is a little confusing to navigate. Find a show, then click on the episode, then you need to click on the "View All Search Results" button to list all the copies of the episode online. If they don't have any available, they backfill the list with generic stuff like "tvguide.com", however if they do have copies of the episode, you will see stuff listed like "vidbull.com" or "allmyvideos.net", etc... Make sure you are using an ad blocker when visiting these video sites, and do not download any apps they try and trick you into installing. You will often get inundated with fake notifications that you need to update Flash or some video codec, they're all fake.

The Project Free TV site is really, really bad with pop ups and fake malware links. You usually have to sift through about 5-7 screens worth of pop ups and crap (and thats with AdBlock installed), as well as fake notifications, before you can get to the video. Once again, do not install *anything*.

#30 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

Is it just me or are the contestants chosen for Top Chef much different for those invited to compete on Hell's Kitchen? I know kitchens can be stressful and cooks in general can be somewhat of a tough crowd - foul language and all. But it seems like the contestants on Hell's Kitchen keep getting trashier and trashier every season. I mean, I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth by any means. However, if I was chosen to compete for something like that on television for the whole world to see - I certainly wouldn't behave the way people act on that show. I would want to put my best foot forward and show the highest level of professionalism I could.

At least Top Chef doesn't dwell as much in the Springer-like antics of the contestants so much, and the contestants come across as more level headed and professional.

#31 MarlineAlcott

MarlineAlcott

Friendly

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

My Dad has a theory that Hell's Kitchen is completely for entertainment (beyond the way that they all are). He thinks they purposefully pick people with mental/emotional problems to make for better television. For the most part, the contestants on Top Chef don't come across that way.

#32 Peter7

Peter7

Cordial

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

At least Top Chef doesn't dwell as much in the Springer-like antics of the contestants so much, and the contestants come across as more level headed and professional.

Exactly! Top Chef is a cooking show and it's about making great food. The chefs come to showcase their skills whereas in some other shows there is more drama than cooking.

#33 cpw

cpw

Cordial

• 12 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

Any Master Chef fans on here?

Any predictions for the winner?

Personally, I think Natasha has it in the bag, even though I've had a love/hate relationship with her for the entire show. I like Luca better, but he's nowhere near Natasha's talent.

I've been a little sad and annoyed this season that there was so much drama between the chefs. For a show that is supposed to feature "amateur's," I like it better when they don't let their own egos get in the way. Remember Ben Starr? He was the best. He was all about giving the good chefs the biggest challenges, and trying to get rid of the lowest on the totem pole so he could always be competing against the best, instead of the other way around. I felt like this season was all about strategy to keep mediocre chefs in the competition longer so they'd be easier to knock off at the end. Once it ceases to be about talent and becomes more about "playing the game," I lose interest.

#34 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

My Dad has a theory that Hell's Kitchen is completely for entertainment (beyond the way that they all are). He thinks they purposefully pick people with mental/emotional problems to make for better television. For the most part, the contestants on Top Chef don't come across that way.

I heard that the winners of past seasons at Hell's Kitchen didn't even get the positions they were supposed to be offered for winning the show. They make the participants of these shows basically sign their lives away to be on them. I saw some excerpts of the contracts they signed for another show, and it basically says flat out that the producers have the right to fabricate stuff and portray you in a bad light.

#35 DVRJunkie

DVRJunkie

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

As much as I love Top Chef the savory edition, I really do not understand why they refuse to bring back "Just Desserts" as well?  I loved it.  I was so fascinated by the cooking techniques and the fun ideas for challenges (remember the Willy Wonka one).  Bravo needs to lay off the drama mama and bring back some more of the reality competition type shows.  Did anyone else watch this version of Top Chef?  I would even say do the life after Top Chef with the "Just Dessert" people because I want to know what they are doing, and I want to see their establishments. :)   

#36 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

Does anyone on this forum ever watch cooking shows? With all the celebrity chefs and reality shows like Master Chef and Hell's Kitchen I'm surprised there are more discussions about programs devoted to cooking shows or at the Cooking Channel and Food Network. Then again, I hadn't even realized that Hell's Kitchen had started up again until I happened to see a promo on TV last week.

#37 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:18 AM

Okay, in moving that question above from the new thread I started to this one, it now seems ridiculous to have asked that when the discussion above the question is about cooking shows. It makes me look like an idiot who didn't read the thread before posting.

#38 Charli1908

Charli1908

Cordial

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

I don't watch Top Chef but I tune into "CHOPPED" every time I can catch it. I love that show and I think it's one of the best on the Food Network. You can learn so much. Do's and Don'ts, what's fully cooked and what's not --- and you're watching the entire process fan out. I think it's the best competition show on that channel as of now. Oh and there's another one called "Worst Cooks in America". That's a good one too. 

#39 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

Personally, I think Natasha has it in the bag, even though I've had a love/hate relationship with her for the entire show. I like Luca better, but he's nowhere near Natasha's talent.

I've been a little sad and annoyed this season that there was so much drama between the chefs. For a show that is supposed to feature "amateur's," I like it better when they don't let their own egos get in the way. Remember Ben Starr? He was the best. He was all about giving the good chefs the biggest challenges, and trying to get rid of the lowest on the totem pole so he could always be competing against the best, instead of the other way around. I felt like this season was all about strategy to keep mediocre chefs in the competition longer so they'd be easier to knock off at the end. Once it ceases to be about talent and becomes more about "playing the game," I lose interest.

i love Master Chef and I watch the kids' version too sometimes. I find it funny to see Joe and Chef Ramsey be nice to the children and try to make diplomatic comments and not make the kids cry. Joe is probably thinking that some of the food is bad, but he can't be as harsh or sarcastic as he usually is because it would damage the kids.

Graham is usually nice anyway on either show.

Edited by TVismyfriend, 28 August 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#40 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:16 AM

Hahaha, same here!  There are thing that really make wonder, like the fact that guy hasn't gotten a black and blue eye so far, those chefs must be getting paid so well in order to stand that guy.  I know I wouldn't!  What amazes me is the fact those chefs haven't had a very bad mental breakdown on camera.

i love Master Chef and I watch the kids' version too sometimes. I find it funny to see Joe and Chef Ramsey be nice to the children and try to make diplomatic comments and not make the kids cry. Joe is probably thinking that some of the food is bad, but he can't be as harsh or sarcastic as he usually is because it would damage the kids.

Graham is usually nice anyway on either show.

Hahaha, yeah! It's amazing!  I actually didn't know Chef Ramsey could be nice until I watched the kid's version.  The guy can be nice, but he just chooses not to!  He's normaly so mean, I'm a tough girl, but I really think it'd be hard not to cry if he said something awful about my cooking... Gosh, I'd hate to be the one cooking for him! 

I love seeing him making an effort to be nice tho, that's the most amusing bit of the kid's version of that show for me, love it! :P :lol: