• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

I didn't care much for Michael Scott's character (played by Steve Carell) when I first started watching the show but after watching the first two seasons I started feeling more empathy than dislike. Dwight Schrute is a character I found difficult to like at first too but only because he had a mean spirit to him. I found by season 4 that he was merely misunderstood and really wasn't as mean as he is very frugal and conservative. The office receptionist Pam is the typical hottie of the office and when she marries the office male hottie Jim Halpert it just takes on a real cliched feel to the comedy. I tune in religiously catching the seasons repeats on CW weeknights. The Office site has episodes you can watch and recap.

#2 Rhodes

Rhodes

Cordial

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

Oh I could write novels on how funny this show is. One episode I'll never forget aired as a repeat in my area: Andy records the song playing different singing parts of Rockin Robin as his ringtone, Jim and Pam plays a trick on Andy by hiding his phone in one of the office's ceiling and then calls the cell's number to hear the ringtone go off forcing Andy to go mad trying to find it. So funny.

#3 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:51 PM

Some of the things Michael did wasn't funny in the least. Okay, most of the things he did wasn't funny. It is a miracle he didn't run Dunder Mifflin into the ground during his watch. But Dwight is the one I dislike.

Another one of the British shows my mother hates. She says she doesn't see the humor, fortunately for me I didn't take after her. The Office is hella funny.

Pam and Jim are one of my favorite TV shows couples ever.

#4 gktime

gktime

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:29 AM

I never have really found this show funny. I have watched 3-5 times, and in each episode I have about one laugh and at the end I am wondering- why does everyone say this is so funny?

#5 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

I never have really found this show funny. I have watched 3-5 times, and in each episode I have about one laugh and at the end I am wondering- why does everyone say this is so funny?

I don't know anyone in RL who find this show funny

But I love it :D

#6 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

The Office has it's moments. Michael crosses the Politically Incorrect line every chance he gets and even takes liberties no other boss on the planet would dream of committing. I think why we watch is that it's like a train wreck, it's sad, but, so interesting to the point you got to watch to see what will happen next.

#7 Deborah1962

Deborah1962

Cordial

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

Steve Carell's character replaced by Will Farrell is just sad. I didn't care for him as an actor in any of his other movies and shows (including SNL) and I certainly didn't care for him in The Office as Deangelo Jeremitrius Vickers.

Thankfully that eventually changed but not before he completely turned me off of The Office. I still catch the earlier seasons with Carell.

#8 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

Steve Carell's character replaced by Will Farrell is just sad. I didn't care for him as an actor in any of his other movies and shows (including SNL) and I certainly didn't care for him in The Office as Deangelo Jeremitrius Vickers. Thankfully that eventually changed but not before he completely turned me off of The Office. I still catch the earlier seasons with Carell.

Thank you. I hated Deangelo, he was Michael Scott on steroid.

Michael was not very bright but he'd never throw him out of a building to proof a point

#9 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

I loved Kathy Bates cast as the wise Jo Bennett. She did the job perfectly with the accent and mannerisms of someone that's been there done that and a bag of manure to boot. I love her spunky attitude. She had a way of getting to the bottom of a problem. I enjoy watching the repeats where she stars.

#10 Angel

Angel

Cordial

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

I have watched this show over and over again but just could not get hooked to it. Carell is funny Farrell is not. !

#11 diganto

diganto

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

Steve please come back to The Office, it misses you lol.

#12 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

I have watched this show over and over again but just could not get hooked to it. Carell is funny Farrell is not. !

I have to admit when I first started watching The Office, I didn't much care for Carell. He was everything in a boss I didn't like. His "wit" was bordering if not absolutely rude.

He hurled insults to his workers that, if they happened in real life he'd have gotten sued so fast his head would spin; but, after watching the early Farrell episodes, Carell comes off an angel in comparison. I just cannot stand Farrell in this role whatsoever.

#13 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

Carell is missed because all his replacements sucked, I blame that on the writing and casting teams. Pam and Jim are the main draw I think, not Michael Scott.

It wouldn't have survived if Jenna Fischer or John Krasinski had been the ones who left.

#14 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

I wondered about that myself. The other characters, don't carry the weight of the show, not even Dwight with his screwy ways and backward perspective on life that put a spin on the show from the beginning.

There was a time Pam's absence (NY for graphics training) was clearly felt as was when the show cycles to the earlier seasons that don't include Jim. There are highlights where the show gets a bit watchable, but, since Corell left, nothing comes even close to that unique chemistry .that was responsible for making the show one of the best.

#15 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

Jenna Fischer, Pam Beasly, on Hoda and Cathie yesterday. She was promoting an Independent movie , the Giant Mechanical Man.

She collects mugs!

#16 ILoveArcher

ILoveArcher

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

Okay.....first couple of episodes and I was like, this show effing sucks!! But as luck would have it, we bought a flat paneled TV and had it anchored to wall; results being, mommy is SUPER anal and won't let anyone change the channel by pressing the button on the TV, YOU GOTS TO USE THE CLICKER!!! Well someone lost it, and it was stuck on some channel that played like, 6 episodes back to back, and by the time I found my clicker, I was hooked. Like everyone else, I was iffy about Michael/Steve at first, and totally hated Dwight/Rainn ( who is actually in House of 1000 Corpses!!) until I youtube'd the deleted scenes, and Dwight/Rainn is freaking hilarious!! There's so many outtakes because the cast can't stop laughing, and most of the time, it's Dwight/Rainn that's given everyone a case of the giggles. He seems like he would be sweetie, and if I was given the option to meet anyone from the show, it would have to be him.

#17 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:20 AM

Nothing like being forced to watch some show you would rather not lol

Dwight is all right. I can take him in small doses but for the most part I want to kill him. Remember when he froze Angela's cat to death? Things like that take me out of the moment.

#18 CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:54 AM

I love The Office, but only the seasons with Steve Carell. Funny thing about that show though...my husband and I are usually always on the same page with what we like and don't like, but not this time. I think the show is hilarious and he couldn't care less if he never sees it again. I think it's the first time ever that we've had differing opinions about a TV show.

#19 Norax

Norax

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

I think it is a format of the show, the different way of showing the life in the office (as well as hospital/university etc) is so appealing to people. I watch 'the Office' from time to time and I have to say it is a little bit funny. I mean the script is written in a very interesting way, with mainly the 'hard to get' kind of jokes - and by 'jokes' I mean more of a real life situations that happens in the office.

#20 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

I think it is a format of the show, the different way of showing the life in the office (as well as hospital/university etc) is so appealing to people. I watch 'the Office' from time to time and I have to say it is a little bit funny. I mean the script is written in a very interesting way, with mainly the 'hard to get' kind of jokes - and by 'jokes' I mean more of a real life situations that happens in the office.

Well I think that it. It's the fact that it's supposed to be about life in an office when in fact it's life in a dysfunctional office. I've worked in my fair share and, often, office life is boring. This is like a spoof on what office life is like exaggerated x 10 meaning, we'd get the squabbling in a real office over someone eating someone else's lunch in a real office; you take that same scene in The Office and it's Dwight trying to off Jim for stealing it. It's exaggerated which makes it hilarious.