• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gktime

gktime

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

Does anyone miss the Oprah Winfrey show and wish that it returned?

Personally, I don't miss it that much as I didn't watch it a lot, but I miss the inspirational shows that she had on there and the shows where she traveled.

#2 CAMom50

CAMom50

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

I watched Winfrey when she had everyday people on with problems (mainly women of course) then she switched to mostly celebs and I don't know if that was to see if she could and was taking a year off to boost the ratings or if that was a trial to see if people would tune in more. I turned off after she went celeb. After she returned to the original problem solving Oprah we all know, I had lost my desire to watch.

#3 Squared

Squared

Cordial

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:34 AM

I actually cried the day she announced it was going to be over. The magazine is some solace, and I am happy she is doing what feels right to her. How many of us get stuck with the comfortable familiar and never branch out? Still miss it though.

#4 gktime

gktime

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

The Oprah Winfrey channel also offers some solace. But I don't think it really makes up for the loss of the show. She could have kept the show and branched out by adding different things maybe...??

#5 Rhodes

Rhodes

Cordial

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

she got caught up in the weight yo-yo problem (like Kirstie Alley) which she had on a host of all sorts of people to help her lose the weight, then that changed her overall personality I think. I watched her get thinner and less in tune with those she once had a rapport with.

#6 Angel

Angel

Cordial

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

I miss Oprah and the Oprah Winfrey channel does not even come close to the OW show. She is a true care-taker and helps people in need however she can. OW is a global citizen and we need more people like her in this world to make it a better place.

#7 CAMom50

CAMom50

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

I don't get cable so I am not able to see the OW channel on broadcast. I just remember watching her on daytime regular TV and seeing celebrity mostly. I remember catching earlier episodes before she lost quite a bit of weight and then followed her weight loss efforts. She went then from a caring problem solver to a celebrity interviewer losing some of her fan base, namely people like me that tuned in to hear her solve issues with people, not rich stars.

#8 kinser

kinser

Cordial

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

I used to watch a lot years ago, but I slowly started to lose interest, and eventually stopped watching altogether in the last few years it was on. You know what bugged me? I used to love her "Favorite Things" show around Christmas time, as it used to feature a lot of interesting and original items that regular people could buy. Then somewhere along the line it turned into a pricey promotion. It seemed like a big commerical for expensive crap. Not everyone is a billionaire, Oprah! Totally disappointed me when I saw that happen, and I think that contributed to my disinterest in the show.

#9 kinser

kinser

Cordial

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

she got caught up in the weight yo-yo problem (like Kirstie Alley) which she had on a host of all sorts of people to help her lose the weight, then that changed her overall personality I think. I watched her get thinner and less in tune with those she once had a rapport with.

I always wondered whatever happend to her personal trainer (Bob Green, I think his name was?) She had him on the show a lot when she was into fitness and weight control, and often said he was one of her best friends (he lived on a house on her private property). So, what happened when she fell off that fitness wagon? Is he still around and are they still friends?

#10 TheMuse

TheMuse

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

I wasn't really a huge 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' fan, but I did watch a lot of episodes. I was drawn to some of the episodes revealing real life and inspirational stories. Being a bit of a health and wellness enthusiast, those moments with Dr. Oz were also my favorite.

#11 destiny

destiny

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

I loved her show. She does so much for people all over the world. I like her show she does where she has interviews with stars. I think it's called Oprah Next Chapter? It's usually on Sunday nights. I saw her show she did with Whitney Houston. Of course it was after Whitney passed away so it was sad watching it.

#12 SJ77

SJ77

Cordial

• 10 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

I really miss The Oprah Winfrey show! I actually went to see it live once. It wasn't the most thrilling episode, sadly. It had Ali MacGraw from the movie Love Story. It was fun to see Oprah, but there wasn't really any interaction with the crowd which I found disappointing. I thought there would be some sort of question and answer session once we were off the air. I always loved the episodes with Dr Phil or Dr Oz. I also always really wanted to go on her favorite things show! Winning all those goodies would be fun  :). I like Oprah, but I agree that the OWN channel is no where as appealing as her show. My friend and I used to make those inspiration boards she talked about too.

Oh, I also always liked it when she had her friend Gail on and they would go on camping trips and road trips across the country. Seems like they have really fun times together. I would have loved to go see a big celeb on the show if it was someone I was really interested in. Like Matt Damon or John Krazinsky or some other cute man!

#13 OhioTom76

OhioTom76

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

I think the show got a little too big for it's britches in some ways. She's a billionaire and an empire unto herself, it feels so out of touch listening to her talk about stuff and trying to relate to it. Like when Barbara Streisand was on the show, it's just watching two people with big egos who are overflowing with wealth chit chat. It becomes kind of depressing to me after a while. Plus, Oprah would often act as a shill for her guests products, making the show feel more like an insincere infomercal than a talk show.

#14 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:38 AM

I haven't watched an Oprah Winfrey show sin years, since I lived at my old house to be exact. The last episode that I watched was her special on The Secret, which was a film about the law of attraction. but they sold it to the masses in the most superficial way that they could, making it about money and materialism, when it runs so much more deep in all of us.

#15 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:13 AM

Ugh, I hated that episode about the secret, but to be honest they always try to sell everything in the most superficial way they can. So it didn't come as a surprise to me that they did that with ''the secret''. Their aim is always the money, they're not afraid to show it, and that is why I stopped watching the show a while ago. I often felt like I was watching a very long commercial while watching that show :P  But I did enjoyed a lot of her interviews!  That woman has interviewed everyone she could, hehehe!

#16 Danielle

Danielle

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:26 PM

I really do miss the Oprah Winfrey Show. The OWN Network is great, but I looked forward to watching Oprah everyday.  Her show was one of the few on television that limited the drama and outrageous behavior.  Although, I did not agree with all of the topics discussed on her show, I enjoyed the variety that the show bought to television.