• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 90s

90s

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:30 PM

I want opinions before I commit. I am not becoming addicted to another live stream show unless I know from trusted people it is worth it.

#2 90s

90s

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

Why in the world would a pregnant woman commit themselves to a situation akin to medieval times? They don't have a midwife, do they?  

I think production will step in. She would be stupid to not gain assurance before committing herself and her baby.

#3 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:16 PM

I would seriously hate every contestant after 52 weeks. Big Brother has its issues, but the best thing about it is that it ends and we have an off season to recover. The time commitment to keep up with this new show would be unreal, especially if you plan to watch the live feeds.

Official site: http://www.fox.com/utopia/

#4 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

The cast has been announced and they enter their house/world or whatever it is in 3 days. The actual show premieres Sunday, 9/7.

You can register for free passport (live feed) to watch exclusive content now. The free option includes access to 2 live feeds.

Fox Lifts Veil on Ambitious ‘Utopia’ Series Compound in Santa Clarita

utopia-fox.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

The producers of Fox’s ambitious new reality series “Utopia” gave reporters a close up, inside look at the show’s grand compound in the Santa Clarita area on Thursday. The 15 participants in what the network has billed as a “social experiment” are set to move in for their year-long stay on Aug. 29.

To an impressive scale the compound has been outfitted with 129 cameras and over 10 miles of wiring…though no electricity, water or plumbing beyond that. The landscape boasts it’s own lake and barn, as well as lush landscaping offering the cast to literally build their own society.

Though the cost of creating such a space was not specified, exec producer Conrad Green assured that it is “not insignificant.”

Journos also got a peek at the site’s control room and production space. Jon Kroll, another of the show’s producers, shared that all post production work is set to be completed on-site, with staffers currently rehearsing the dance of filming, logging and preparing the show for its bi-weekly airings.

“Utopia” will open with a three-night premiere on Sept. 7, Sept. 9 and Sept. 12. It will then air regularly on Tuesdays, with six special Friday airings lined up as well. The program is a gamble for Fox, especially as it is taking up so many hours on the schedule in the days leading up to the formal launch of the 2014-15 season. The hope is that the show will be on the schedule for a full year.

The team at “Utopia” is also set to livestream content 24-7, with degrees of subscription for viewers. The online stream will begin the afternoon the cast moves onto the property, ahead of its fall premiere. The series is based on a Dutch format, produced by John de Mol’s Talpa TV.

The 129 cameras will capture the society’s story for a year – or however long the show runs – and follow how they develop and integrate into the outside world, with the caveat that they cannot leave the property.

For a show that requires up to a year commitment from contestants, I'm kind of surprised that it will only air one night a week during most of its run. I will be shocked if this show makes it past winter hiatus.

#5 newSAHMmy

newSAHMmy

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

So it IS for a while year?  I was wondering about that.  I think it's pretty crazy to commit for that long a time.  I wonder if any will just quit after a while.  I mean, I've seen realities of this type that is only a few months and they act like they want to kill each other, I can't imagine what's going to happen during a year.  I don't think I'll be catching every bit of this show, but wow...a WHOLE YEAR?  Did Fox not have any other show they can air?  LOL

#6 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

Wouldn't it suck if Fox spent all this money and the show got cancelled early due to low ratings? Would they still pay the cast if the show got cancelled?

You can create a big, expensive show, but that doesn't mean that people will watch it.

#7 newSAHMmy

newSAHMmy

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:44 AM

Wouldn't it suck if Fox spent all this money and the show got cancelled early due to low ratings? Would they still pay the cast if the show got cancelled?

You can create a big, expensive show, but that doesn't mean that people will watch it.

I hope they do pay them!!  I cant imagine how many quit any jobs they had and then they'd lose that too?!  LOL  I think though that they will show it no matter what.  I don't think they've ever cut any realities early (except for the one where that guy killed someone).  

#8 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

I hope they do pay them!!  I cant imagine how many quit any jobs they had and then they'd lose that too?!  LOL  I think though that they will show it no matter what.  I don't think they've ever cut any realities early (except for the one where that guy killed someone).  

Which show had a contestant that killed someone? I somehow overlooked that story. I've heard of reality show couples breaking up and reality contestants going to prison for tax evasion but murder is news to me.

#9 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

Reality TV is cheap to produce. This is a low risk, high reward show for Fox if it becomes successful. Even if it doesn't last a full year, the cost to payout the cast (cheap labor), crew, and resources required to produce the show will be less than canceling a scripted show.

#10 Franzy

Franzy

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

If I am not mistaken, one of the contestants on African version of Big Brother died. I am unclear on details.

They'll be paid ... poorly.

#11 newSAHMmy

newSAHMmy

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

Which show had a contestant that killed someone? I somehow overlooked that story. I've heard of reality show couples breaking up and reality contestants going to prison for tax evasion but murder is news to me.

Megan Wants A Millionaire.  They canceled the show after a few episodes because one of the contestants was wanted for murdering his girlfriend or wife I dont remeber.  I think they later found him after having committed suicide.

#12 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

Just registered for a free account. The feeds start in a few minutes.

Utopia ‏@utopiatvusa 1m
At 4PM PST the #Utopia LIVE STREAMS go up and will not turn off for 365 days! Get those passports out! http://utopia.ly/VQuOVW #UtopiaIsHERE

Contestants are entering the compound or whatever it's called.

livefeed.jpg

#13 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

The entrances were prerecorded. This is the actual live feed at least that's what the feed just said.

livefeed1.jpg

livefeed2.jpg

#14 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

I'm already wondering who the lazy one is. In all these survival and building-a-society shows, there's always one lazy person that sits around and doesn't want to build shelters or search for food. Everyone always ends up hating that person because they don't contribute anything. I don't want to stereotype but I think it might be the guy from the Utopia trailer who said that he's unemployed and lives with his mom.

#15 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:52 AM

I only watched for 10-15 minutes top then I logged off. I'll read some other boards later today to see their opinion so far.

Yesterday at 7pm est the Survivor Sucks board had 5 pages and I just checked and it grew to 35 pages overnight. It's not as fast as the BB live feed thread but growing by 30 pages is impressive for a brand new show on its first night of live feeds. I need to go read their comments but it seems lively.

#16 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

Twitter accounts following the live feed.

https://twitter.com/UtopiaUpdaters

https://twitter.com/MyUtopiaUS

I may get into this better after the premiere episode. From what I've read there has been a lot of drama. Someone has already left due to violence and contestant Amand is pregnant and due in December.

Survivor Sucks thread has grown to 75 pages in less than 48 hours of live feeds.

#17 BBJunkie

BBJunkie

Friendly

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

Why in the world would a pregnant woman commit themselves to a situation akin to medieval times? They don't have a midwife, do they?  

#18 newSAHMmy

newSAHMmy

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

I signed up for the passport but haven't had a chance to watch the videos.  I had no idea there was a pregnant woman but I'm sure they'll have a midwife for her.

#19 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:37 PM

What I don't understand is how they allowed a pregnant woman on this show . Even if she hid the fact that she was pregnant, this issue could have been avoided by giving all the contestants physicals. The mother has chosen to put her health and safety at risk, but this poor unborn baby has not. The moment that they noticed she was pregnant  she should have been sent home right away.

Edited by NDN, 02 September 2014 - 04:40 PM.

#20 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:19 PM

I think they are trying to be controversial by allowing a pregnant woman on the show. I'm sure the contestant Amanda signed a waiver to protect Fox and the production company from liability if anything should happen.

I don't think this was something Amanda was trying to hide because she's due in December.