• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 90s

90s

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

If it is a ploy to force ABC's hand to let them use the character due to public outcry, they haven't been paying attention to the last few years. If ABC cared what soap fans think, AMC and OLTL would still be on the air

#22 90s

90s

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

Daytime started dying when they stopped catering to the core audiences. The unbelievable plots they recycled over and over didn't help

#23 90s

90s

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

The storyline that got me to stop watching OLTL was Ford/Jessica/Tesss. Jessica falling in love with a guy who basically raped her was disgusting and made me question all the outcry of Jess being the favored Buchanan sister

It was one of the most reprehensible things ever put on TV. Marty/Fake!Todd romance was too but that was made right when Roger reprised the role of Todd

#24 90s

90s

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

I want to know too.

I'll post any information I come across

#25 Jess

Jess

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

I miss OLTL. :( I mean, I don't miss the Ford brothers (at all), nor do I miss RC's "rape means love!" stories (seriously, RC, Ford and Jess were disgusting, there was no need to do it again with Kate/Johnny on GH). But, I do miss the show. *cries*

#26 Jess

Jess

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

So, these shows are coming back! AMC began filming yesterday.

Can we make threads for them in the "soaps" section? Since they're technically alive and well again (albeit on Hulu).

#27 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

I am thankful he didn't go there with Jess and Johny. As in Jess falling for Johnny.

Carly going back to Johny knowing what he did to Kate isn't much better but it is not as bad as Kate/Johnny would have been

#28 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

I really liked One Life To Live and I am sorry it came to an end. It's nice to see some of the characters live on through General Hospital. I missed the last few episodes of OLTL so I have no idea what happened with any of the different story lines. i guess I'll have to search online to see if I can watch the shows I missed.

#29 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Has anyone else heard the news? Apparently the deal with Prospect Park to bring back One Life To Live and All My Children is back on. It would seem that they are hoping to revive these two shows in half hour installments online in 2013.

Now I know that Prospect Park promised this before and it all fell through. But this time seems different, they have already hired an Executive Producer to handle both shows. From what I am hearing they are creating news sets, and are now in negotiations with writers for the programs as well. There is no doubt much written on these developments here online if you want to go find out more about it yourself.

#30 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

I've been keeping up with it. They even named a new EP

But I am going to keep my hopes on the down low. It seems they haven't fully for the OLTL and AMC characters they intend to rent from ABC. This could be a negotiation tactic by Prospect Park

#31 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

If it is a ploy to force ABC's hand to let them use the character due to public outcry, they haven't been paying attention to the last few years. If ABC cared what soap fans think, AMC and OLTL would still be on the air

I think the real reason they are no longer around, like other soaps that have disappeared, is because of a combination of cost and the changing face of entertainment in the wake of reality TV. The main thing that keeps TV shows around is ratings.

#32 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

I think the real reason they are no longer around, like other soaps that have disappeared, is because of a combination of cost and the changing face of entertainment in the wake of reality TV. The main thing that keeps TV shows around is ratings.

Yes, but none of the reality shows they have put in place of these two daytime soaps have delivered even enough ratings to sustain them. Well, maybe The Chew has, but even their ratings aren't anything spectacular even for a reality type show. Look at The Revolution, oh wait you can't it only lasted six months, the afternoon version of Good Morning America, not much longer. Both didn't have to live up to the rating of One Life to Live, but neither could even get a forth of those ratings from what I understand. Not good at all, when you stop to think about it.

So, we go from a show that was on for forty years, to programs that can't even last a year. Yes, I realize that Soaps are more costly, but what ABC should of considered doing before dropping the ax on two stellar shows, then paying the ultimate price for it was cut both programs to thirty minutes. Then both shows could of been made to cut down on their cast, their sets and their behind the scenes workers. This would of cut down on cost for both programs yet kept them on the air a bit longer. But ABC didn't even consider this, and now they are the ones left holding the bag so to speak.

#33 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

Yes, I realize that Soaps are more costly, but what ABC should of considered doing before dropping the ax on two stellar shows, then paying the ultimate price for it was cut both programs to thirty minutes. Then both shows could of been made to cut down on their cast, their sets and their behind the scenes workers. This would of cut down on cost for both programs yet kept them on the air a bit longer. But ABC didn't even consider this, and now they are the ones left holding the bag so to speak.

Yeah, because every company wants to cut their employees' work time in half and still pay them the same amount of money. Reality shows are way cheaper to produce and they don't come with exorbitant celebrity salaries. Soap operas had a limited audience, where as a show like The Chew has more of a mass appeal, especially in the aftermath of Iron Chef and the like.

#34 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Yes, I realize that Soaps are more costly, but what ABC should of considered doing before dropping the ax on two stellar shows, then paying the ultimate price for it was cut both programs to thirty minutes. Then both shows could of been made to cut down on their cast, their sets and their behind the scenes workers. This would of cut down on cost for both programs yet kept them on the air a bit longer. But ABC didn't even consider this, and now they are the ones left holding the bag so to speak.

Yeah, because every company wants to cut their employees' work time in half and still pay them the same amount of money. Reality shows are way cheaper to produce and they don't come with exorbitant celebrity salaries. Soap operas had a limited audience, where as a show like The Chew has more of a mass appeal, especially in the aftermath of Iron Chef and the like.

Actually from what I have heard The Chew doesn't get half the rating AMC did in the same time slot. However, you are right when you said that Reality Shows are cheaper to put out so this is the reason why The Chew stays on. its able to get the ratings to sustain its cost even if it doesn't sustain the ratings of its predecessor. Which I guess tells us something of The Revolution (remember that lasted about ten minutes) it couldn't even get the ratings to sustain its cost let alone even a forth of the rating of OLTL in that same time slot. So, looking back now The Chew might not have been a bad idea (ducking throwing objects from irate soap fans) but The Revolution was a huge mistake. I still say ABC probably would of been more wise to have just cut both of these soap down to thirty minutes to cut cost before throwing the ax on both of them. End result, Prospect Park is picking them up and ABC still has yet to rebound completely from that decision.

#35 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Actually from what I have heard The Chew doesn't get half the rating AMC did in the same time slot. However, you are right when you said that Reality Shows are cheaper to put out so this is the reason why The Chew stays on. its able to get the ratings to sustain its cost even if it doesn't sustain the ratings of its predecessor. Which I guess tells us something of The Revolution (remember that lasted about ten minutes) it couldn't even get the ratings to sustain its cost let alone even a forth of the rating of OLTL in that same time slot. So, looking back now The Chew might not have been a bad idea (ducking throwing objects from irate soap fans) but The Revolution was a huge mistake. I still say ABC probably would of been more wise to have just cut both of these soap down to thirty minutes to cut cost before throwing the ax on both of them. End result, Prospect Park is picking them up and ABC still has yet to rebound completely from that decision.

Time will definitely tell. It's possible for a show that was on one of the major "broadcast" networks to be picked up and get new life on cable/satellite TV. I was more of a OLTL fan than a GH fan, but with things being what they are, it's nice to still have the option of watching GH. I only saw The Revolution a few times, but it didn't do much for me.

#36 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

I miss OLTL. :( I mean, I don't miss the Ford brothers (at all), nor do I miss RC's "rape means love!" stories (seriously, RC, Ford and Jess were disgusting, there was no need to do it again with Kate/Johnny on GH). But, I do miss the show. *cries*

I am so with you, in fact, I credit the Fords with destroying that soap. Hey I really couldn't stand that family and for awhile they seem to be everywhere taking over the entire show. I actually had to stop watching OLTL for awhile because of this fact. It wasn't till RH return to the show that I went back to watching it. Before that I was getting sick of the amount of Ford family propping that was going on. It was as bad as when the Rappaport's came on to the show. Remember that, they also took over most of the program and were everywhere. This isn't exactly the way to introduce a new family to the canvas on a soap.

#37 DareDevil

DareDevil

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

Or ask to move this one

We never started an AMC thread lol

#38 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

Any idea when One Life to Live and even All My Children are scheduled to come back? I have heard about the cast coming back or being added. I have heard about who was in charge of the programs, but I don't recall hearing anything about how when the shows will start up again. Has a scheduled or even a projected time been given just yet?

#39 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

I have read on another soap board that I am a part of that apparently OLTL is scheduled to return on April 29th. I don't know if this is the actual day of the premiere, since that might be subject to change. But apparently Prospect Park is indeed gearing up to bring the show back. I can't wait to have it back, I only hope that I will be able to air it online. Other wise, I will be subjected to reading recaps online instead. I guess that would be better then what I have right now which is nothing.

#40 ShootingBlanks

ShootingBlanks

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

It looks great!