• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Zoey

Zoey

Cordial

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

I use to read Stephen King all the time, for a while they were always making movies based on his books. However, I fell behind and have missed many books. Is Stephen King still as good as he use to be? What is your favorite Stephen King book? Mine would have to be Everythings Eventual.

#2 gktime

gktime

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

I have only read a couple of Stephen King books. I read the beginning of a couple, and am glad I didn't go farther in because I heard they are really creepy. I don't think he makes new books anymore...

#3 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

Oh gosh, any of those that have made it to the movies are worth reading in book form. I love Stephen King. The Shining was the first one I read, The Stand, It, they're all decent stories whether read or watched. Actually he did add to his The Dark Tower series in 2012 and has another book in the works to be released in 2013 called Dr. Sleep.

#4 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

Anyone who haven't watched the The Shawshank Redemptionshould run out and get it now.

#5 Zoey

Zoey

Cordial

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

I completely forgot about the Dark Tower series! My friend was bugging me for the longest to start reading the series because it was so good. I really do need to write down a book list, I can never remember all the books people suggest to me.

#6 Deborah1962

Deborah1962

Cordial

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

I would list all Steven King's books but it would take awhile as he's made so many. What's cool is you can now Google any author and find either their books or in Mr. King's case, websites dedicated to his fans to learn more about him and his books.

#7 dave

dave

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Stephen King is one of the best authors and I loved The Dark Tower series (although have not read all of them yet), I have read 5 of them The Gunslinger being the best out of the lot. Will post more as soon as I finish reading all of them.

#8 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

I wouldn't mind starting a series, but the problem is, they're rarely finished and I really don't like starting something and not being able to finish it. I don't want to start on book 1, get hooked then find out it stops after book 5 leaving me disappointed and hanging as to what if anything will come next in the series.

#9 flame

flame

Cordial

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

I like some of his work but not all of it. I have not read any of the dark towers stuff because it sounds too much like fantasy for my taste - i am an old fashioned blood and gore and science fiction girl.

One of my favourites from King would be "The dark half" - anyone else like that one?

#10 Angel

Angel

Cordial

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

Anyone who haven't watched the The Shawshank Redemptionshould run out and get it now.

after being begged by my friends and online reviews I have finally watched one of the best movies that has ever been made.

I am in love with the character Red (Morgan Freeman made it very easy). And the brain of Andy Dufrain (Tim Robbins) who broke out of Shawshank prison after spending almost 20 years.

#11 kinser

kinser

Cordial

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

I started reading King in high school, and loved all of his old stuff. The Shining and Pet Sematary were two of the scariest books I've ever read. I read all of his work (except for The Gunslinger series) up until The Tommyknockers, which is the first one I put down because I lost interest. Most everything I attempted after that just wasn't the same - too bizarre or boring.. I will say one of his more recent novels, Lisey's Story, was absolutely excellent.

#12 kinser

kinser

Cordial

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

This is one example where I think the movie was actually better than the written piece (which wasn't even a full novel). The other novellas in that same book (Different Seasons) were really good, though (The Body, which the movie Stand By Me is based on, is my favorite).

#13 Sensa

Sensa

Cordial

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

I have only read a couple of Stephen King books. I read the beginning of a couple, and am glad I didn't go farther in because I heard they are really creepy. I don't think he makes new books anymore...

Stephen King is still putting out 2-3 books a year! My husband and I both LOVE Stephen King books and we are trying to collect them all but there are a LOT. There are also quite a few books that were written by him and published under the name of Richard Bachman. So far Under the Dome, and a collection of short stories Full Dark, No Stars are some of my all time favorites, but I have never read a Stephen King book that was bad.

#14 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

Oh I know, he doesn't write crap that's for sure. I really enjoy his books. I need to get busy and find his older stuff then scan eBay for the newer books. Any of his movies are really good too, I don't think there's a bad movie from his books either, just wished he'd make a few new ones.

#15 Sensa

Sensa

Cordial

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

The only movie of his that I would probably not watch again is The Mist, and the ending of that one was just too much for me. Stephen King movies are good, but there is just so much that you can't convey on the big screen that is portrayed in his books.

#16 Anna

Anna

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:01 AM

Stephen King, in my opinion, is not quite as good as he used to be. I like most of his older books, but the news ones he wrote that I actually made it all the way through are few and far between.

My favorite "newer" book of his is probably Bag of Bones. I really liked that one (and the made for TV movie for it was pretty good, too). My favorite older Stephen King book was The Shining.

#17 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

I've read a lot of good reviews for his newest book, 11/22/63

If I were to read a book of his, it'll be that one

#18 kinser

kinser

Cordial

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

Stephen King, in my opinion, is not quite as good as he used to be. I like most of his older books, but the news ones he wrote that I actually made it all the way through are few and far between.

My favorite "newer" book of his is probably Bag of Bones. I really liked that one (and the made for TV movie for it was pretty good, too). My favorite older Stephen King book was The Shining.

That's pretty much how I feel about him. I think his glory-days are long gone, and after being disappointed and bored from a lot of his newer work, I just really stopped picking it up. But I did love Lisey's Story. It got excellent reviews so I gave it a chance..

#19 Anna

Anna

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

I looked this one up and my curiosity is officially piqued :) I may have to look for that one! I love the "going back in time" stories. I have a feeling he might really do a good job with that one.

#20 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

I looked this one up and my curiosity is officially piqued :) I may have to look for that one! I love the "going back in time" stories. I have a feeling he might really do a good job with that one.

Let me know what you think when you read. I intend to read it myself but I have a feeling it won't happen in the next 5 years or so lol