#21 Anna

Anna

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

I've read a lot of good reviews for his newest book, 11/22/63

If I were to read a book of his, it'll be that one

I looked this one up and my curiosity is officially piqued :) I may have to look for that one! I love the "going back in time" stories. I have a feeling he might really do a good job with that one.

Let me know what you think when you read. I intend to read it myself but I have a feeling it won't happen in the next 5 years or so lol

Yeah, that sounds about like me, Wendy :) I am still hanging onto the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series. I have all three and have had them all for over a year, but so far have only read the first one. Too much work to do! But I will put the Stephen King book on my Amazon wishlist. I think my husband would enjoy that one, too. He actually does like a lot of King's newer stuff.

#22 Sensa

Sensa

Cordial

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

If Lisey's story was that good I will have to give it a try. I have it here at the house, but I didn't make it past the first couple of chapters before the new baby was born, and since then there hasn't been a whole lot of time for reading. Right now I am about a 1/4 of the way through the Dean Koontz book Strangers.

#23 Arya Stark

Arya Stark

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 549 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

For you King fans, Vulture ranked all 62 of his books. I guess I'll add The Stand to my to read shelve on Goodreads

The Complete Works: Ranking All 62 Stephen King Books

1The Stand:

One might think it amazing that Stephen King's tale of a superflu that wipes out 99 percent of the United States still looms so large over all other post-apocalyptic works, so often have the subgenre's tropes been used in fiction and film. But the author's sprawling work (which he expanded by 400 pages in an edition released a dozen years after his original) operates on the grandest of scales, literally a battle between good and evil, between God and something like the Devil. The book's heroes, villains and individual moments are so well written that they remain some of the more memorable in all of late 20th century popular fiction. And while King has said, "There's something a little depressing about such a united opinion that you did your best work twenty years ago," we have trouble being down on something so great.

#24 DareDevil

DareDevil

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

I have no problem with their number 1 pick. The Shinning and Misery ranked lower then I expected. Those three are his best work imo

#25 kinser

kinser

Cordial

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

For you King fans, Vulture ranked all 62 of his books. I guess I'll add The Stand to my to read shelve on Goodreads

The Complete Works: Ranking All 62 Stephen King Books

1The Stand:

One might think it amazing that Stephen King's tale of a superflu that wipes out 99 percent of the United States still looms so large over all other post-apocalyptic works, so often have the subgenre's tropes been used in fiction and film. But the author's sprawling work (which he expanded by 400 pages in an edition released a dozen years after his original) operates on the grandest of scales, literally a battle between good and evil, between God and something like the Devil. The book's heroes, villains and individual moments are so well written that they remain some of the more memorable in all of late 20th century popular fiction. And while King has said, "There's something a little depressing about such a united opinion that you did your best work twenty years ago," we have trouble being down on something so great.

I am glad to see It got a high rating (#3 I think). One of my favorites. Different Seasons is one I re-read many times. The funny thing is that Rage was rated very low, and it's noted that it began as a full-lengh novel. However, it is one of the novellas in Different Seasons which is one of the top 10, I don't ever remember it being available in print as a full-length novel.

Cujo was my first read and what turned me on to King. I'm surprised it didn't get a higher rating, Pet Sematary and The Shining are the ones that truly scared me the most.

#26 kinser

kinser

Cordial

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

I have no problem with their number 1 pick. The Shinning and Misery ranked lower then I expected. Those three are his best work imo

Yeah, those were both very, very good novels. The Shining is one of my top picks, along with It. I know The Stand has long been regarded as his masterpiece, but it was so long that I found it really dragged in parts. So, still very good, but not my favorite. It, on the other hand, was incredibly long, but never dragged for me (I've heard other say it did for them, though). It was over 1000 pages, but I tore through it.

From a Buick 8 was one I tried to read and put down, so I'm surprised to see it was rated fairly high.

I totally agree with their review of The Tommyknockers - it was the first of his I tried to read and went WTF? I can totally see how he was a drug addicted mess while writing that one. It was awful (at least the beginning, which is all I got through).

#27 angie828

angie828

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

I have not read a lot of his work. Instead I watch the movies. I loved Rose Red and would be interested in reading this book. Has anyone read it and is it as good as the movie?

#28 ILoveArcher

ILoveArcher

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

I agree with 'The Mist' sentiments. That's just a horrible way to end a movie. But one of my faves of his is Salem's Lot. Next to Bram Stoker's Dracula, this is seriously one of my favorite vamp books because I can imagine if they were real, they'd be like this; bloodthirsty and unforgiven, not all, laying in a meadow in the sun sparkling and whatnot. The Green Mile was a good one too. That's one of the things I love about King; he can pen a horror book that makes you lose sleep and turn around and write something like The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption and totally touch you on so many levels. He's classic.

#29 kinser

kinser

Cordial

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:34 AM

That's one of the things I love about King; he can pen a horror book that makes you lose sleep and turn around and write something like The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption and totally touch you on so many levels. He's classic.

Oh, I sooo agree! He has a great range. The Body and Lisey's Story are two of my favorites, and neither are horror.

#30 Wylla

Wylla

Friendly

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

The Dark Tower series is technically completed and well worth the read. In fact, I'm in the middle of re-reading it right now. I hadn't heard he added anything to it; what's the title of the new book? I will have to look it up.

#31 momma24bratz

momma24bratz

Cordial

• 18 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

Stephen King still writes new books and they are quite good. I love his style of writing, I have been meaning to check out the Dark Towers series because I like fantasy as well as horror. I have to say the freakiest book that turned movie that I have ever read and seen in movie form written by Stephen King is Pet Cemetery. First off there is nothing more horrible then a child dying which that part alone makes your heart pound and second there is nothing scarier than an evil child. That has to be one of the most frightening things I could imagine ever happening in real life if an evil child. Gives me the chills just thinking about it. Thank goodness my kids are monsters in a totally different way. lol. I recently read an older novel by Stephen King called Duma Key and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

#32 Realtea

Realtea

Shy

• 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

Tried to quote but... failed.

I might give Lisey's story a look then. Though I love his old stuff I don't trust his later works to deliver. I avoided the Dark Tower series for years but finally listened to one of the books on audio. Long commute. It wasn't so bad. I might give that one a try when I have time to consider a whole series.

Edited by Realtea, 01 August 2014 - 12:55 PM.

#33 evelynmcgregor

evelynmcgregor

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

One of my favorite Stephen King books is The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.  I also really liked The Silver Streak.  I have not read any of his books in a long time.  But I must say, I watched the first season of Under The Dome and was really disappointed in it.  I have not even had any desire the watch the second season.  It was just so far off from what I remembered the book being.

#34 Jamie Leigh Martin

Jamie Leigh Martin

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:16 PM

I've been meaning to read The Body, but I haven't quite gotten around to it yet. I won't lie... I don't ever think I've finished one; they all scare me a lot. Somehow I acquired a copy of Desperation, which I have no qualms starting right now; it's a hot, summer day; the best time to get scared..

#35 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

I have only read a couple of Stephen King books. I read the beginning of a couple, and am glad I didn't go farther in because I heard they are really creepy. I don't think he makes new books anymore...

That's incorrect. He constantly makes new books. He's one of the busiest and most prolific writers of all time. His book Dark Tower: The Prisoner #1 is coming out September 2014, and his other book The Revival is coming out November 2014, plus there's a limited special edition of Carrie coming out.

#36 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:50 AM

Stephen King still writes new books and they are quite good. I love his style of writing, I have been meaning to check out the Dark Towers series because I like fantasy as well as horror. I have to say the freakiest book that turned movie that I have ever read and seen in movie form written by Stephen King is Pet Cemetery. First off there is nothing more horrible then a child dying which that part alone makes your heart pound and second there is nothing scarier than an evil child. That has to be one of the most frightening things I could imagine ever happening in real life if an evil child. Gives me the chills just thinking about it. Thank goodness my kids are monsters in a totally different way. lol. I recently read an older novel by Stephen King called Duma Key and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Pet Cemetry was a horrible film lol, only because I watched it when I was a young child and it will always remain to be one of the most chilling horror movies that I have ever seen. It was an absolute horror to watch. Never knew it was a book first though. Not that I'll be reading it. I'll stick to reading fanfiction at night before bed hahaha.

#37 chattygirl

chattygirl

Cordial

• 10 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:00 PM

My favorite Stephen King books are The Shining, Different Seasons, Misery and 11/22/63. I've been putting off reading Dr. Sleep, which is the sequel to The Shining, because I am afraid I will be disappointed since I love The Shining so much. Although not one of my top Stephen King novels, I did enjoy Rose Madder, and I'm surprised it ranked so low.  

Edited by chattygirl, 17 October 2014 - 04:00 PM.