23 replies to this topic

#1 Faemonic

Faemonic

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

The New Adventures of Peter and Wendy

Episodes are uploaded every Wednesday and Friday, each episode being only about five minutes long.

You can watch here, and the official trailer is here.

This series is a modern vlog retelling of J.M. Barrie's classic stageplay and novel, Peter and Wendy, or The Boy Who Never Grew Up, or--as we know it best--Peter Pan.

"Retelling" might be a little strong, though, because it's obviously not following the same plot, and all the characters have their own spin--they're all in their twenties, for example, not prepubescent, and their small town of Neverland, Ohio isn't exactly a magical place. They are very casual about the presence of a fairy, Tinkerbell, who is just like the book version in that she speaks in the sound of bells. Lily Bagha (Bagha means tiger... Lily tiger... Tiger Lily, get it?) is Indian, but not at all the noble savage that J.M. Barrie problematically if well-intentionedly portrayed.

The production team has a couple of members from the absolutely amazing YouTube series.

#2 Faemonic

Faemonic

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

To those who followed this series, this is a reminder that this series exists.

To those unfamiliar with this series, I very highly recommend that you watch it! Here! Have the link!

It's 100 episodes, about 5 minutes each, a modern retelling of Jane Austen's upperclass English literary fiction romance novel Pride and Prejudice, which is also known as the original romantic comedy.

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries is, hands down, my absolute favorite retelling. The vlog version makes it perfect for modern audiences, the localization (this takes place in California, not in England) is spot-on with media, and where Austen's era used to be preoccupied with romance--The Lizzie Bennet Diaries puts a modern feminist spin on some of Austen's already cleverly-done a pre-feminist subversions. The women in this series have careers to worry about, as well as bonds of friendship and family that might not have thrived in the social climate that Austen wrote about-- Lydia Bennet, for example, as "the slutty little sister" would never have been allowed to be portrayed as sympathetically as she has been in this series.

It's smart! It's funny! There's costumes, and well-paced editing!

There are also a couple of spinoffs that I haven't sat down to watch all the way through yet because I fear that they'll be just as addictive as the original series.

#3 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:16 AM

I love Youtube original shows. I watch a few now. My favorite one has to the Awkward Black Girl. It is so funny and quirky and it is surprisingly well done for a webisode series on Youtube,  I think. The actors are very good too. Tip top production.

#4 Faemonic

Faemonic

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

I'd like to make a correction. Jenni Powell is the only producer on The New Adventures of Peter and Wendy who had also worked on The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. Katie Moest was on both shows as a production designer.

Meanwhile, Mounty Oum's animated quirky fantasy adventure series RWBY has a Volume 2 coming up to be released this July! Catch up on Volume 1 here or on Rooster Teeth's official website and Blip.

#5 Bloom

Bloom

Cordial

• 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

I love Youtube original shows. I watch a few now. My favorite one has to the Awkward Black Girl. It is so funny and quirky and it is surprisingly well done for a webisode series on Youtube,  I think. The actors are very good too. Tip top production.

I saw a couple episodes of that show and I find it hilarious! I didn't know that these were considered YouTube original shows. I just thought it was someone wanting fame like the rest of the YouTube video bloggers do. But that's good to know.

I think there's another show (I'll find the name to it soon) that could be a YouTube original show. Basically, it's about high school and the real world and how they are the same. Something I've acted with is in that show and she shared a link of herself in it and I started to watch it. It's okay, but worth watching. When I find it again, I'll be sure to send it over! :D

#6 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

I saw a couple episodes of that show and I find it hilarious! I didn't know that these were considered YouTube original shows. I just thought it was someone wanting fame like the rest of the YouTube video bloggers do. But that's good to know.

I think there's another show (I'll find the name to it soon) that could be a YouTube original show. Basically, it's about high school and the real world and how they are the same. Something I've acted with is in that show and she shared a link of herself in it and I started to watch it. It's okay, but worth watching. When I find it again, I'll be sure to send it over! :D

For me season one was quirkier and a lot funnier than season two but I am definitely in with that show for the long haul :) I couldn't agree more about high school and the real world being the same. Please tell me what it is called :D

#7 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

Cool! Thanks for the heads up! I love Youtube originals that have a lot of vids to watch. I am hesitant to start up a series that only has less than 10 vids because I just watch them quickly. I'll check this one out. The Guild is my current fave on Youtube.

#8 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

I love the Awkward Black Girl! I keep waiting for Issa Rae to blow up big time.

I just recently started watching Nicole Richie's show CandidlyNicole. The half hour series will debut on VH1 on July 17th. Meanwhile, you can watch to full web series on YT. The first episode has an appearance from a Big Brother legend.

ETA: Actually, Candidly Nicole is an AOL original, but you can watch all the episodes on YouTube.

#9 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:58 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

I also hate when a series isn't that long. I am the same with choosing stories to read. I want to be able to get into them, not have them end just when I have gotten into the swing of things as far as characters and story.

#10 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

My favorite Youtube show is Epic Meal Time. They got a show on the FYI network but it doesn't have the same feeling as the Youtube show because they don't curse as much and it seems like TV executives probably told them to tone it down.

#11 newSAHMmy

newSAHMmy

Cordial

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:08 PM

My favorite Youtube show is Epic Meal Time. They got a show on the FYI network but it doesn't have the same feeling as the Youtube show because they don't curse as much and it seems like TV executives probably told them to tone it down.

Epic Meal Time, Handle It, and the new on they have are so much fun!

I watched one I think was called H or H+.  It was pretty good.  I haven't checked if they have the second season up yet, though.  And I know it's not YouTube but CRackle has this show called CH:OS:EN which is super good.

#12 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:06 PM

Cool! Thanks for the heads up! I love Youtube originals that have a lot of vids to watch. I am hesitant to start up a series that only has less than 10 vids because I just watch them quickly. I'll check this one out. The Guild is my current fave on Youtube.

Are you talking about The Guild that is about a group of gamers playing an MMORPG? I saw all the episodes on Hulu. That is a LONG series, I can't believe how many episodes it had.

It was so much fun to see Wil Wheaton as a special guest star.

#13 NDN

NDN

Friendly

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

OMG This is one of my all time favorite Youtube series. I think Issa Rae is done with this show but  I love  would to see her take another character and do a spin off. It would be so funny to see Darious whisper his way though life. Maybe she could show  us more of Patty and her germ filled life.

#14 Faemonic

Faemonic

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:07 AM

I just discovered a new YouTube Original show today: MisSpelled! It's like Charmed on a shoestring budget. I actually like how ordinary and normal the witches look. It's not regular Hollywood standards of beauty, and that casual sort of representation is important.

16 days until their Kickstarter ends!

#15 Aquar

Aquar

Cordial

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:21 PM

I'm sure nobody cares but I can't wait to watch Kingsley's new show. I am an avid watcher of his videos but his new show with Clevver TV sounds even better.

Edited by Aquar, 03 October 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#16 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:39 AM

As a crafter/artist, I enjoyed a little Youtube series called Craft and Burn that was about a girl so obsessed with crafting that it ruined her life and relationships.

This was a girl who couldn't even sit down to dinner without making origami napkin rings and an elaborate centerpiece. She got busted by the police for trying to put glitter on public landmarks in her city. She would be thinking about crafts while she was on a date. Craft addiction is a cruel mistress.

#17 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:40 PM

I love the Awkward Black Girl! I keep waiting for Issa Rae to blow up big time.

I just recently started watching Nicole Richie's show CandidlyNicole. The half hour series will debut on VH1 on July 17th. Meanwhile, you can watch to full web series on YT. The first episode has an appearance from a Big Brother legend.

ETA: Actually, Candidly Nicole is an AOL original, but you can watch all the episodes on YouTube.

Awkward Black Girl has a lot of celebrity fans. I follow the cast of Aaron Macgruder's show Black Jesus on Twitter and all of the actors from the show follow Issa Rae. A few rappers also follow her. Maybe she'll get some acting opportunities out of all that attention.

#18 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:56 PM

Are there any good comedic original youtube shows that are not overly corny? I think the really funny ones are way too short and under 3 minutes. I know it's hard to produce a weekly comedy show, but anything that is weekly would be great. Thanks!

#19 Aquar

Aquar

Cordial

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:19 PM

Are there any good comedic original youtube shows that are not overly corny? I think the really funny ones are way too short and under 3 minutes. I know it's hard to produce a weekly comedy show, but anything that is weekly would be great. Thanks!

I don't really find the time to watch much of YouTube but besides Kingsley I like What the Buck. Personally they're both hilarious to me but everyone's humor is different so I don't know what you'd be interested in. On occasion I also watch Glozell but I never pay attention to how long her videos are.

#20 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for the replya Aquar! I forgot all about What the Buck! I love how sassy and snarky he is. Thanks for the reminder. I'm getting tired of watching PewDiePie all day. I also like makeup tutorials.