• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

I loved it. LOVED. Jennifer was my Katniss. She played the vulnerablities and the strengths and I wish she had been around when I was young. Of course, as with any book, they did leave out some stuff I wish they had kept in like --
Spoiler: click to toggle

I am NOT a huge Gale fan in the book (sorry) but Liam did an awesome job of making me like him. First, the accent was amazing (or maybe I'm just used to R-Patz trying to be American w/ Edward, but still). Second, he comes off as more vulnerable. He's more of a dreamer than I thought. Loved the end w/ him having Prim on his shoulders.

Josh did a great job as Peeta. He wasn't MY choice for Peeta, but by the end of the movie, he was. He was stoic and noble, but kind and loveable. You felt his love and his fear at knowing no one would be on him to win. I wish they had more establishing the relationship, but I understand pushing the political aspect instead of the triangle.

The movie was great. I may even see it again tomorrow.

#2 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

What's currently pissing me off about this movie, though, is all the assholes out there saying Jennifer is too fat to play Katniss. And yes, Katniss should probably look more starved, but I don't see anyone calling Liam too fit for having the same issue. Or Josh (I know he was fed more than Gale and Katniss as the baker's son but still). No instead they're calling Jen big boned, saying her "baby fat" is shower. Sir, she's a 21 year old woman, not a baby doll. Given that this movie is aimed at young girls and women, I commend them for putting a woman in the role who has a healthy body. She's a warrior and she looks like a warrior (child warrior, but whatever). I have nothing against skinny women, but we don't all have to be walking hangers. Jennifer's a great actress and she did a fabulous job with the part. Jennifer Is Not "Too Big" to Play Katniss

#3 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

Posted Image

Take that Peeta!

#4 Rhodes

Rhodes

Cordial

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

The morning news show in my city covered The Hunger Games as a promotion for a ticket give away. The trailers shown look like this would be something to watch. I am seriously thinking of going to see it myself. Did you see it? What did you think of the movie?

#5 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:25 AM

I loved it. LOVED. Jennifer was my Katniss. She played the vulnerablities and the strengths and I wish she had been around when I was young. Of course, as with any book, they did leave out some stuff I wish they had kept in like --

I am NOT a huge Gale fan in the book (sorry) but Liam did an awesome job of making me like him. First, the accent was amazing (or maybe I'm just used to R-Patz trying to be American w/ Edward, but still). Second, he comes off as more vulnerable. He's more of a dreamer than I thought. Loved the end w/ him having Prim on his shoulders.

Josh did a great job as Peeta. He wasn't MY choice for Peeta, but by the end of the movie, he was. He was stoic and noble, but kind and loveable. You felt his love and his fear at knowing no one would be on him to win. I wish they had more establishing the relationship, but I understand pushing the political aspect instead of the triangle.

The movie was great. I may even see it again tomorrow.

You didn't see my post before, Peeta = Golden Retriever. Totally harmless and charming on top. In Hunger Games we weren't 100% sure of his motives, we thought it was all an act, part of his strategy but man did he win me over. The actor was very good, from time they called his name in District 12 - the stupefied look killed me, and when he waved gleefully at the spectators when the train arrived at the Capital. His vulnerability to Katniss' brevity was well played in the movie

JL did well with the sour look, she had the naturing part also down pat. I teared up with Katniss volunteered but I cried like a baby when Rue died. That part just killed me all over again.

#6 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:58 AM

What's currently pissing me off about this movie, though, is all the assholes out there saying Jennifer is too fat to play Katniss. And yes, Katniss should probably look more starved, but I don't see anyone calling Liam too fit for having the same issue. Or Josh (I know he was fed more than Gale and Katniss as the baker's son but still). No instead they're calling Jen big boned, saying her "baby fat" is shower. Sir, she's a 21 year old woman, not a baby doll. Given that this movie is aimed at young girls and women, I commend them for putting a woman in the role who has a healthy body. She's a warrior and she looks like a warrior (child warrior, but whatever). I have nothing against skinny women, but we don't all have to be walking hangers. Jennifer's a great actress and she did a fabulous job with the part.

Jennifer Is Not "Too Big" to Play Katniss

I've had a busy weekend so I haven't read any reviews anywhere , what the what now? You just know people are going to find something to bitch about, it never occurred to me they'll pick on her weight. It is that ridiculous

The double standards is never going to go away. The same fans who swoon over the men will turn around and pick on the females for the same reasons.

YES Katniss IS a warrior. A young beautiful warrior :wub:

#7 CAMom50

CAMom50

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

What's currently pissing me off about this movie, though, is all the assholes out there saying Jennifer is too fat to play Katniss. And yes, Katniss should probably look more starved, but I don't see anyone calling Liam too fit for having the same issue. Or Josh (I know he was fed more than Gale and Katniss as the baker's son but still). No instead they're calling Jen big boned, saying her "baby fat" is shower. Sir, she's a 21 year old woman, not a baby doll. Given that this movie is aimed at young girls and women, I commend them for putting a woman in the role who has a healthy body. She's a warrior and she looks like a warrior (child warrior, but whatever). I have nothing against skinny women, but we don't all have to be walking hangers. Jennifer's a great actress and she did a fabulous job with the part. Jennifer Is Not "Too Big" to Play Katniss

Personally I think the media has gotten off track a bit (especially after the likes of Twiggy and Kate Moss) with this whole weight issue. I was watching a news coverage mention of some fashion icon who was showing off some of the goods at a runway show and I couldn't believe how thin and sick these girls looked. I have a niece that is a model and she's so thin it's scary. I don't get it. Nothing wrong with being healthy with some meat on the bones, it helps keep us warm and provides during the lean times, which this economy has in spades.

#8 Deborah1962

Deborah1962

Cordial

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

I think too much attention is on what one looks like rather than personality or what one can contribute to society. Catty remarks about everything abound these days, not just weight but clothing worn, hairstyles, hair colors you name it, it's picked at and over. Even when nothing is wrong someone somewhere will find fault with it. Unfortunately, those in the limelight are slaves to fashion and trends regarding weight or they simply don't work.

#9 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

I am reading the plot of this right now and it seems like a great movie and book...is it?

From what I hear, it is well worth it.

Everyone I know who have read the books says it is better than Twilght but that is not reall saying much. Twilght is junk

Has anyone seen the trailer for Host? That is the movie I am looking forward to the most

#10 gktime

gktime

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

I am reading the plot of this right now and it seems like a great movie and book...is it?

From what I hear, it is well worth it.

Everyone I know who have read the books says it is better than Twilght but that is not reall saying much. Twilght is junk

Has anyone seen the trailer for Host? That is the movie I am looking forward to the most

They should compare it to a different book...like harry potter or lord of the rings. You should ask them what they think about it in comparison to those two series, because a ton of books are definitely better than twilight.

#11 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

Yay for Hunger Games breaking all kinds of Box Office records this weekend.

It is currently the 3rd highest movie of all time with a 155 million dollar opening. Deathly Hallows part 2 holds the title with 169 million followed byThe Dark Knights' 158 million. It is the highest grossing non sequel ever!

Hollywood Reporter

#12 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

I haven't read any of the books but I had to go and see what the hype was about. It is worth all the hype and box office figure imo

The little girl who played Pru was very good. Her screams gave me chills. It is a very dark film but somehow they made it work with a PG-13 rating

#13 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

Have you guys seen this tumblr about some fans hating that some of the main characters were black?

http://hungergamestweets.tumblr.com/

So much hate!!

#14 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

Anyone who claims racism doesn't exist should read those tweets

#15 DareDevil

DareDevil

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

From the posts in this thread I'd guess the answer is yes

I went to see it with my family on Sunday, my younger cousin who have read the books had to explain the hunger aspect to me, I wouldn't have known otherwise

#16 Angel

Angel

Cordial

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

The ultimate movie of the year. Have watched it twice already and it still gives me chill when I watch the clips online. Cheers to a very well made movie.

#17 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

The ultimate movie of the year. Have watched it twice already and it still gives me chill when I watch the clips online. Cheers to a very well made movie.

The millions of people who flocked to the theaters agree with you

I hope the kids get fat bonuses

#18 Conman

Conman

Cordial

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

I have just watched it and is officially blown away. One of the best movies that can be made after Avataar.

#19 Norax

Norax

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:29 AM

After a huge amount of great reviews I expected a little bit more out of this movie. I still don't quiet understand what was the point in getting the 'sponsors' as they did nothing after the game participants were released in the forest. I did feel sad for the young girl who died tho as she was my favorite in the game :( Still the idea was nice, but I have the feeling the movie could be way better :)

#20 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

After a huge amount of great reviews I expected a little bit more out of this movie. I still don't quiet understand what was the point in getting the 'sponsors' as they did nothing after the game participants were released in the forest. I did feel sad for the young girl who died tho as she was my favorite in the game :( Still the idea was nice, but I have the feeling the movie could be way better :)

There was no way it would lived up to the hype for everyone. Even though I loved it I admit there was room for improvement, but there always is.

I don't think the sponsors were supposed to have a bigger role than what they had. They are rich spectators who choose to help a team when they are in a tight spot. With the nudging of the mentors of course. Haymitch was able to wrangle some medicine from one of them for Katniss at a crucial time. That was their use.

Rue's death was slayed me