• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 90s

90s

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

We watched it too and it was pretty good, but it did seem to have a kind of Twilighty feel to it. I absolutely hated Twilight, but I will probably watch the next movie in the Hunger Games series.

How was it like Twilight?

There weren't any supernatural beings in Hunger Games. The female leads are as different as day and night. Heck, it wasn't set on earth as we know it

#22 Norax

Norax

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

After a huge amount of great reviews I expected a little bit more out of this movie. I still don't quiet understand what was the point in getting the 'sponsors' as they did nothing after the game participants were released in the forest. I did feel sad for the young girl who died tho as she was my favorite in the game :( Still the idea was nice, but I have the feeling the movie could be way better :)

There was no way it would lived up to the hype for everyone. Even though I loved it I admit there was room for improvement, but there always is.

I don't think the sponsors were supposed to have a bigger role than what they had. They are rich spectators who choose to help a team when they are in a tight spot. With the nudging of the mentors of course. Haymitch was able to wrangle some medicine from one of them for Katniss at a crucial time. That was their use.

Rue's death was slayed me

I guess you are right. I just hope in "Hunger Games 2" they will develop a little bit more the characters and their relations as well as the relation with the sponsors as they seems to be imported part of the game.

#23 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

I guess you are right. I just hope in "Hunger Games 2" they will develop a little bit more the characters and their relations as well as the relation with the sponsors as they seems to be imported part of the game.

I hope so too.

I am not a Peeta/Katniss shipper so I was fine with the development or lack thereof of their relationship but many found it lacking. For their sake, they flesh it out more in the next movie

#24 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

They should take time to show why the Hunger Games is called the Hunger Games in the first place.

The kids were endangered by everything in the pit but Hunger.

#25 angie828

angie828

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

I have heard that this was an excellent movie. I would love to see it but have not read the books yet. My sister told me I would much enjoy them, so I will make time this summer to read them, then see the movie.

#26 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

I have heard that this was an excellent movie. I would love to see it but have not read the books yet. My sister told me I would much enjoy them, so I will make time this summer to read them, then see the movie.

You should go see it, I haven't read the book either but I loved it.

#27 Wylla

Wylla

Friendly

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

I haven't seen the movie yet but I loved the books. The comments on Jennifer's weight irritated me too; I probably wouldn't have been so angry if they had discussed the boys' weights too, but naturally there was nothing about that.

I'll probably cry when I watch Rue die.

#28 CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

I bought the book today and I'm pretty excited. I'll most likely see the movie when I get done with the books, but I'm the type who always reads the book first.

#29 ILoveArcher

ILoveArcher

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

I looked it up on Wikipedia because my 11 year old came home and was excited, but still bumming out about the book. I wanted to see what they considered 'required reading' for 11 year old kids. While I like the story, I'm kind of skeptical about it being read to elementary school kids or any kids for that matter. I understand that we can't nor should we shield the youth about death, but this movie and book both I felt were too dark for my particular kid, specially since my kid is as soft as pudding. But don't get me wrong, I LOVE this book!! It's a really good read, and I recommend it....just not to a kid.

#30 Franzy

Franzy

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

I looked it up on Wikipedia because my 11 year old came home and was excited, but still bumming out about the book. I wanted to see what they considered 'required reading' for 11 year old kids. While I like the story, I'm kind of skeptical about it being read to elementary school kids or any kids for that matter. I understand that we can't nor should we shield the youth about death, but this movie and book both I felt were too dark for my particular kid, specially since my kid is as soft as pudding. But don't get me wrong, I LOVE this book!! It's a really good read, and I recommend it....just not to a kid.

I am glad you said it.

As intriguing as it is, the subject is also disturbing. It is a movie about putting kids, CHILDREN, in an arena to fight for their lives. Romans did it to trained warriors and that was barbaric

I didn't enjoy it any less but I was taken aback but its violence, given its genre, it was not what I was expecting

#31 Autlia22

Autlia22

Cordial

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

I saw this last night and I like it way better than Twilight. Unlike Bella, Katniss seems to be somebody who has actually lived real life. Hunger Games explores issues like love, loyalty, survival, death. How much would you do to survive? When is love and loyalty more important than impending death? Is survival worth it if you become the thing you hate? Twilight never asks such things, or else I haven't noticed it.

And Katniss doesn't need to be loved, or have a boyfriend, like Bella. Whether Peeta loved her or not would not have affected her trying to save his life if she thought he was her friend. She cared just as much for Rue.

#32 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

Oh boy Bella Swan is the worse female character in the genre's history. She lived and breathed Edward Cullen!

Katniss was more assertive and appeared to be psychically stronger than Peeta. Nothing like the Edward/Bella dynamic

#33 CSINY

CSINY

Friendly

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

I still have not watched The Hunger Games but I've read the books. I'm going to watch it but probably will wait for it to come out on DVD. It's exciting to see all the great things being said about the movie. It makes we want to watch it even more.

#34 CAMom50

CAMom50

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

I wish I had been better prepared when I was a kid. My parents tried to shield me and when I got out on my own, I was floored by what I saw. In my ignorance, the world continued educating me in ways one can only imagine that there are bad things in this world. I think the fairy tales we were read to as kids illustrates that point over and over again. My parents, God bless them, tried to keep us as innocent for as long as possible, but I wish my parents had taken more time to let me know that there are people that make bad choices, death, sex, drugs and crime.

#35 CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

Well, I've finished the book and I agree that this should not be required reading in schools. Some parents may choose to let their kids read it based on their child's maturity level, but it needs to be looked at on a case by case basis. I can say without a doubt that if I had read this book when I was 11 years old I would have been emotionally disturbed by it and probably would have had nightmares for a very long time afterward. I'm not saying no kid should read it, but I don't agree with schools making it required reading.

#36 Sensa

Sensa

Cordial

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

Doesn't this come out on dvd this week? I still haven't read the books yet, but I hear they are well worth a read, but I may try and stream the movie if I can find someone who has it.

#37 love2watch

love2watch

Cordial

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

The movie came out Saturday morning (12 AM). I haven't seen it yet, but I have it queued up to watch on Amazon Prime when I get a chance. This one is kind of long!

#38 Sensa

Sensa

Cordial

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

We watched it over the weekend, but I kind of felt like I was missing out on a lot since I haven't read the books yet. The movie was good though.

#39 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

I finally watched this last week and I liked it a lot. I wasn't expecting that at all. As a hater of the Twilight series, the Hunger Games was refreshing.

#40 love2watch

love2watch

Cordial

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:59 PM

We watched it too and it was pretty good, but it did seem to have a kind of Twilighty feel to it. I absolutely hated Twilight, but I will probably watch the next movie in the Hunger Games series.