• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Deborah1962

Deborah1962

Cordial

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

Show about a group of time travelers that go back to the days of the dinosaur from the future Earth that is dying, polluted and corrupt.

I watched nearly every episode until it left the air. I have to be honest in that I thought of Jurassic Park and thought, oh yeah, it's a clone. But I was really surprised to see that it wasn't a clone not even a remote one. True the dinosaurs are obviously not real, but they could be as well made as they were. Sure, 99% of Jurassic Park (and The Lost World) seemed to bring out the T-Rex during torrential rain storms except for the brief clear night in San Diego as the T-Rex made mincemeat of the town and truly, I half expected to see repeated footage in Terra Nova and when I didn't I thought this had potential. I heard since they removed this show that it's not coming back.

Anyone else catch this show? What did you think?

#2 SimplyJo

SimplyJo

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

Hey Deborah1962, I recently watched a re-run of an episode and was really amazed by the amount of specification the graphics people went into to create it. Even I expected some sort of rip-off from Jurassic Park etc but was so glad it was not. I did not expect the actors to perform so well in front of a green screen but they did it perfectly.

I am waiting for the DVD from a friend who has all the episodes copied. I am so glad I stumbled into Terra Nova.

#3 CAMom50

CAMom50

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

Me too but I wonder why it didn't make the return line up? The show had an excellent cast, like you said SimplyJo they did a remarkable job against the green screen, so believable you'd swear they were right there. I am upset it's not returning. So not fair! Perhaps the budget to make it was just too much in this bad economy. I hope they make at least an occasional movie so that those of us that fell in love with the show can catch up.

#4 Deborah1962

Deborah1962

Cordial

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

OK, here it goes: I Googled the question: "Why was Terra Nova cancelled?" and got the following pages that said (collectively) that Stephen Spielberg couldn't justify the high cost of making the series in light of the modest ratings it received during it's maiden series run. Not to worry though, the articles say that he's shopping around for other networks in hopes of keeping the show alive. Small comfort to those of us that tuned in religiously and are now having withdraw symptoms.

#5 Tarheel

Tarheel

Cordial

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

Thats the problem with the really expensive shows with lots of CGI, they have to find their audience fast or they don't even make it to the end of their first season. Just looking at that show, you can see how expensive it is.

#6 Rhodes

Rhodes

Cordial

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

Strange, you'd think in a society that loves it's Play Stations, games on cell phones, Wii and a host of other SIMS type or graphic intensive games CGI would be right up there. Equally odd that the computer does the actual work and is basically free. The programmers though, not so much and I have a feeling that's probably where the money is going as well as to the actors and in this bad economy, even the likes of Mr. Spielberg can't pay the bills.

#7 Techy855

Techy855

Cordial

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

I would contest that it is basically free. There is a lot of skill (expensive skill) that goes into producing that work. And even its a business. I am sure Speilberg doesn't want to just spend his own money to keep the show on. If its not paying for itself, or just barely, the networks have to try and find a better use for their production dollar.

#8 Deborah1962

Deborah1962

Cordial

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

My understanding from what I read researching Terra Nova was that Spielberg was looking for another channel to carry the series. Perhaps it has nothing to do with the production as much as it's the fees associated with getting it out there for the viewer. The production once done is done, getting it aired is a different story.

#9 Kementarri

Kementarri

Cordial

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

Has there been any recent updates on the shows standing?

I remember watching through the first 5 episodes or so and was really enjoying it! The story was well done, plot driven, and exciting. 

I understand the show was incredibly expensive to make, but ... it was so good!

I really hope they find a home for the show, as I would love to see more of it. 

#10 NickJ

NickJ

Friendly

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

Spielberg is just cutting corners now getting ready for Jurassic Park 4. All those dinos in 3D are gonna cost a pretty penny.

#11 momma24bratz

momma24bratz

Cordial

• 18 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

I really enjoyed this show but of course like many sci fi type shows that are actually good it was canceled after only a very short time. I hate it when that happens it happens too often. I found it to have a really cool story line and I liked the charectors. The plot was great as well as the mini story being told along with the big picture. Slow but surely little bits and pieces of the story were unwinding in relation to the past events that happened before the main charector family arrived in Terra Nova. I would love to see it come back and finish up the story. Any one hear anything about the possibility of it returning?

#12 Peter7

Peter7

Cordial

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:01 AM

I started watching it and did end up seeing every single episode. I can't say that I was impressed, the show had it's moments but I wouldn't have continued watching season 2 even if it would have aired. Just seemed a lot like most other shows out there, nothing special.

#13 momma24bratz

momma24bratz

Cordial

• 18 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

OK, here it goes: I Googled the question: "Why was Terra Nova cancelled?" and got the following pages that said (collectively) that Stephen Spielberg couldn't justify the high cost of making the series in light of the modest ratings it received during it's maiden series run. Not to worry though, the articles say that he's shopping around for other networks in hopes of keeping the show alive. Small comfort to those of us that tuned in religiously and are now having withdraw symptoms.

That is good news, has there been any news since then about whether or not that is going to happen? I have not seen or heard anything about it coming back. I have to say I was pretty disappointed that it just ended, I did watch every single episode I believe I came across it online when it aired the very first episode. I watched it and then was hooked from there and waited every week to stream the new episode. I really do hate how some shows that suck stay on air while good shows get canceled all the time.

#14 Ruth B

Ruth B

Shy

• 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

I loved Terra Nova.  I loved the idea of it, even thou it was pretty political from the start, and I don't usually like those.  I would have loved to have seen more, but we have no idea how they would have played it all out.  I enjoyed seeing the high tech of the future along with things that looked kind of 'Flintstone ish' if that is a word.     

#15 wulfman

wulfman

Cordial

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:56 PM

I assumed it was the cost of the show's production that had a big role in its cancellation.  I mean Spielberg could have gotten a bank roll if he was committed though. The show had a lot of promise.

#16 KimberlyD

KimberlyD

Friendly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:16 PM

Has anyone heard any more news on whether or not the show is going to come back or not?  I just about cried when they stopped the show, I know Spielbergs reasoning and that he was looking to take it elsewhere, but I haven't heard anything since.

#17 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:23 AM

I liked the show, but they decided to cancel it way too soon!  I was starting to get into it when they decided to stop airing it, it was a shame, because that TV show had a lot potential.  It's so hard to be a big fan of certain TV shows that you know they're great, but sadly are being overlooked... like for example this show and the amazing ''In the Flesh'', the latter is a real masterpiece.  It is a shame so many great shows have died and remained in oblivion, while others that aren't of the same quality are still up and running.

This TV show was alright, not a masterpiece, but it was very entertaining and good enough!

#18 KimberlyD

KimberlyD

Friendly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:46 PM

I liked the show, but they decided to cancel it way too soon!  I was starting to get into it when they decided to stop airing it, it was a shame, because that TV show had a lot potential.  It's so hard to be a big fan of certain TV shows that you know they're great, but sadly are being overlooked... like for example this show and the amazing ''In the Flesh'', the latter is a real masterpiece.  It is a shame so many great shows have died and remained in oblivion, while others that aren't of the same quality are still up and running.

This TV show was alright, not a masterpiece, but it was very entertaining and good enough!

I know that if a station receives enough letters from fans about a certain show, 9 out of 10 times they will bring it back.  I just wish I knew why they shut the show down.  As far as I know it had a strong following.

#19 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:48 PM

I know that if a station receives enough letters from fans about a certain show, 9 out of 10 times they will bring it back.  I just wish I knew why they shut the show down.  As far as I know it had a strong following.

That's the truly frustrating thing to me about the networks the past few years.  They only make 6 or 8 episodes, and then they space them out with a few weeks break in between.  Just about the time you start to understand what's going on and who's who, they decide to cancel the show.  If they would go ahead and make a full season, and play the show every week, so that people could get invested in it, I think they would have better results.  Instead of cranking out the same old, same old, they need to take a cue from cable stations and come up with something unique, and stick with it.

I really liked Terra Nova - the characters were good and had "chemistry", the story was somewhat believeable and interesting, and it was a little different from the usual cop/lawyer/doctor show.  It had great potential, with the new "primitive" world and old one they came from - they could have played with that a lot.  Oh well, I'd love to see another network pick it up - maybe syfy. 

#20 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:23 PM

Oh yeah, I wish I could do the very same thing with ''In the Flesh'', man I miss that TV show!  If I had known they had cancelled it last year... I'd have already wrote them a lot letters!  I wonder if a lot fans did the same?  Either way, it is good to know!  If only more TV show fans knew about this, I had no idea they actually did that if enough people write a letter to them.  Great info!  Totally  hate it when they cancel a great TV show...