• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 gktime

gktime

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

I know many people have seen the Lord of the Rings movies, but how many have actually read the books?

I have read the Hobbit at least 5 times, and the other 3 books around 3 times. I have also read the Children of Hurin and Silmarillion, but I didn't really understand them. I would say I like the Hobbit the best out of all of Tolkien's books.

So how many people have read Tolkien's books, including the Lord of the Rings?

#2 Deborah1962

Deborah1962

Cordial

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

I did in school, it was required reading. The Hobbit of course was the first book I read and had to give a report on. I found the books allowed me to visualize the story and get more out of it. I am probably one of the few that hasn't seen the movies. I prefer the books.

#3 SimplyJo

SimplyJo

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

I guess I am one of the few who read the books before watching the movies. The best about reading LOTR was that I was able to imagine and visualize everything. I watched the movies only after the 3 movies were out and watched them together. It was a marathon but enjoyed every bit of it.

Lots of respect for Peter Jackson but somehow he could not capture everything from the book (which is next to impossible). Tolkien is the best fantasy fiction author in my dictionary.

#4 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

I rarely enjoy the movies that come from books, I think like Deborah1962, I enjoy the visualizations and the fantasy built up around the stories. Nothing compares to what you can visualize as happening with the stories. I have a friend that watched all 3 and he swears they're good.

#5 ILoveArcher

ILoveArcher

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

I made the mistake of reading The Hobbit after The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and I really wish I hadn't because it gave me a new fondness for Bilbo that I didn't have before.

The whole inner turmoil he endures during the beginning of the book; toiling over being a good hobbit and providing a certain level of hospitality to the Dwarves and Gandalf, and trying to get them the heck out of his house, continually proving himself as a worthy companion on their adventure, having his own family and friends auction off his belongings; the quirky, happy Bilbo he is towards the end of the book and during the beginning of TLOTR is the one that I always knew, but to see his transformation was fun and made me love the character in a new way.

#6 Norax

Norax

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

I didn't ready the book (watched the whole movie 3 times) and from what I've heard people say the movie is almost as good as the book (if not better). One thing they always talking about is that the book or some of its parts are unnecessary (such as the long descriptions not related to the story).

Yet again it is an opinion of my friends who did read the book, and not mine so I can't be sure are they right :).

#7 opal

opal

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

I have both read the Hobbit and watched the movie but have not read the rest of Tolkien's LOTR series. There's just too much killing in it for me. I do prefer to read any book before I see the movie because the movie loses a lot of the story. Bilbo Baggins is a favorite character of mine and the movie really brought him to life for me.

#8 chicken1empanada

chicken1empanada

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

I began reading The Lord Of the Rings Trilogy at the same time the movies came out, but I finished The Return of the King before the film's release. I greatly enjoyed both the books and movies. I thought Peter Jackson, his team, and New Zealand did an excellent screen adaptation of the stories. I read The Hobbit afterwards, and am rereading it again for when the movie comes out next month. I can't wait to see what Peter Jackson has in store for us this time after more than a decade. I've also been curious about Silmarillion. Maybe it'll be in my list of books to read in 2013...

#9 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

I was given the books as a present after the whole Trilogy of the movies had been released. I have yet to read them. They are collecting dust on my shelf but I'll get to them...eventually. :P Side note: Have you seen they are releasing another movie as a prelude for the movie Trilogy? I think it's called Hobbit.

#10 chicken1empanada

chicken1empanada

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:27 AM

Side note: Have you seen they are releasing another movie as a prelude for the movie Trilogy? I think it's called Hobbit.

Yes, in fact The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will be released in US theaters on Friday, December 14, which is about two and a half weeks away. I'm excited! Will get tickets soon. Can't decide if I want to watch it on opening night or give it a few days...

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Official Website

#11 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

Side note: Have you seen they are releasing another movie as a prelude for the movie Trilogy? I think it's called Hobbit.

Yes, in fact The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will be released in US theaters on Friday, December 14, which is about two and a half weeks away. I'm excited! Will get tickets soon. Can't decide if I want to watch it on opening night or give it a few days...

Yea that's it. Thanks. Knowing me I'll wait a while to see it until the buzz about it dies down and the theaters are less crowded. Opening weekends around the holidays are always crazy. When you see it let us know how you like it. I'm interested in hearing your opinion.

#12 chicken1empanada

chicken1empanada

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:58 AM

Yea that's it. Thanks. Knowing me I'll wait a while to see it until the buzz about it dies down and the theaters are less crowded. Opening weekends around the holidays are always crazy. When you see it let us know how you like it. I'm interested in hearing your opinion.

Sure thing. I'm going with a few of my close Tolkien nerd friends this weekend to see the movie, and I'm getting excited thinking about it. It'll be a fun romp.

#13 UmiNoor

UmiNoor

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

Looking at how thick the books are and there are three to get through, I don't think I would ever read any of the books. I've never heard of The Lord of the Rings books before the movie came out. I only know that the movie is based on Tolkien's trilogy after the movie came out. It's not part of my reading list in school. In school, we read To Kill a Mockingbird and Animal Farm.

#14 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

Looking at how thick the books are and there are three to get through, I don't think I would ever read any of the books. I've never heard of The Lord of the Rings books before the movie came out. I only know that the movie is based on Tolkien's trilogy after the movie came out. It's not part of my reading list in school. In school, we read To Kill a Mockingbird and Animal Farm.

I remember in school we had to read Shakepeare and other literature like Helen of Troy or Romeo and Juliet. The book set I got for Lord of the Rings came with 4 books. The first was a prequel to the trilogy Lord of the Rings. I'm surprised the movie industry didn't film that one first but on the other hand, that's the way it goes sometimes.

#15 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

I remember in school we had to read Shakepeare and other literature like Helen of Troy or Romeo and Juliet. The book set I got for Lord of the Rings came with 4 books. The first was a prequel to the trilogy Lord of the Rings. I'm surprised the movie industry didn't film that one first but on the other hand, that's the way it goes sometimes.

The prequel that your talking about could be part of the three part The Hobbit trilogy that is currently in movie theaters. I wondered how Peter Jackson and his film crew were going to actually create three movies from The Hobbit. After all unlike The Lord of The Rings trilogy where he had three books as his source material, The Hobbit is a book that was written for children.

So, not exactly the perfect source material for a trilogy. However, I had heard somewhere about there being a prequel type book to The Lord of The Rings trilogy, and that Jackson was also using this book to bridge the two trilogy's that he's done. Apparently the book you are talking about is the one that he has in mind in using in The Hobbit trilogy.

#16 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

The prequel that your talking about could be part of the three part The Hobbit trilogy that is currently in movie theaters. I wondered how Peter Jackson and his film crew were going to actually create three movies from The Hobbit. After all unlike The Lord of The Rings trilogy where he had three books as his source material, The Hobbit is a book that was written for children.

So, not exactly the perfect source material for a trilogy. However, I had heard somewhere about there being a prequel type book to The Lord of The Rings trilogy, and that Jackson was also using this book to bridge the two trilogy's that he's done. Apparently the book you are talking about is the one that he has in mind in using in The Hobbit trilogy.

Oh I guess I had it wrong! I thought the Hobbit book was a prequel to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I didn't realize The Hobbit was a trilogy tale.

#17 n87

n87

Cordial

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

The Lord of the Rings books and movies are still on my to do list...I'm a horrible person for this, but I haven't seen any of the movies. I know the general plot though. I've also played the games.

I want to read The Hobbit, too. JRR Tolkien is noted as one of the most amazing fantasy writers of all time, I know I need to read at the very least one of these books.

#18 BWR

BWR

Cordial

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:27 AM

I read "The Hobbit" long before I watched the films so I can safely say that the screenwriters and producers had modified the script to lengthen the narrative into a feature-length film (or three of them, in this case). I remember the White Orc being only briefly mentioned in the book but in the film his role was made into that of major villain and Big Bad Guy.

Also I think Rhadagast the Brown plays a more prominent role in the film than in the original children's story book that Tolkien wrote.

#19 jessica

jessica

Noob

• 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:54 AM

I read the Hobbit and LOTR when I was very young, probably about eleven, so I found it very difficult to follow, and a lot of it went over my head, haha. I did enjoy the Hobbit, and I really want to reread LOTR when I get chance because I really enjoyed the films. I think now that I'm older I'll be able to appreciate the books more.

#20 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:00 AM

I read "The Hobbit" long before I watched the films so I can safely say that the screenwriters and producers had modified the script to lengthen the narrative into a feature-length film (or three of them, in this case). I remember the White Orc being only briefly mentioned in the book but in the film his role was made into that of major villain and Big Bad Guy.

Also I think Rhadagast the Brown plays a more prominent role in the film than in the original children's story book that Tolkien wrote.

Don't forget the romance between the elf woman and the dwarf guy!  Gosh, that part made me feel so sad!  It was so disappointing, wish they hadn't added that. A very disappointing ending for me. I hate it when screenwriters do that kind of things... add characters that are not even supposed to be there. I found Rhadagast to be such an interesting character, even more the one from the book, but it was nice to see him in the film as well, hehehe.