Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:47 AM

Nathan For You, At Midnight, The Meltdown, Workaholics etc

#2 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

I love the Comedy Central shows. Nathan for You is one of those business makeover shows like Kitchen Nightmares or Tabitha's Salon Takeover, except that the mentor is a comedian and has ridiculous business ideas. Somehow his crappy ideas seem to work out for the business most of the time, except for the time he guaranteed that a business had the best hamburgers in LA and had to hand out $6,000 cash because of his money back guarantee, which people abused.

Workaholics is about a bunch of underachieving stoners who work as telemarketers in a crappy little cubicle and are close friends with their marijuana dealer ,who they never pay,

They are childish and care more about having fun than being responsible, successful adults. It's a relaxing show to watch because the stakes aren't very high. If one of their stupid plans fails, they'll just go back to their crappy telemarketing job.

At Midnight is always a group of comedians putting their own captions on viral videos, kind of like Tosh.0 if Tosh.0 was a game show with a points system for the funniest comments.

The Meltdown is a stand up comedy show that takes place in the back of a comic book store and has a lot of A List comedians from TV and film drop by.

Adam Scott and David Koechner casually showed up in the first episode. Sometimes the comedians' wives are backstage. It feels like watching a live comedy show.

Do any of you guys watch the current Comedy Central lineup?

I also have all the episodes of Tosh.0 and Key & Peele recorded.

#3 Arrowfan7813

Arrowfan7813

Shy

• 7 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

Mostly I'm looking forward to the new season of South Park. A lof of folks have been saying South Park has been on the decline but I think with the past season they are starting to pull it back together. Trey and Matt have been doing this show for 16 seasons now and while there have been some episodes that are not as great as others they have managed to consistently put together a funny show week after week.

I love Workaholics as well but it seems they are on a big decline. They show used to be an interesting comedy about best friends working a terrible job together and having fun outside of work. Now it seems to have just degraded to a gross slapstick comedy. I think if they are going to call the show Workaholics they should keep their jobs as one of the main highlights of the show. Now they just seem to be going for cheap laughs. I doubt it will last much longer if they keep it up like this.

#4 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

Mostly I'm looking forward to the new season of South Park. A lof of folks have been saying South Park has been on the decline but I think with the past season they are starting to pull it back together. Trey and Matt have been doing this show for 16 seasons now and while there have been some episodes that are not as great as others they have managed to consistently put together a funny show week after week.

I love Workaholics as well but it seems they are on a big decline. They show used to be an interesting comedy about best friends working a terrible job together and having fun outside of work. Now it seems to have just degraded to a gross slapstick comedy. I think if they are going to call the show Workaholics they should keep their jobs as one of the main highlights of the show. Now they just seem to be going for cheap laughs. I doubt it will last much longer if they keep it up like this.

Workaholics still has some funny moments but I see what you mean about them taking the focus off their job. One episode was just them making burritos with weed in them and driving their drug dealer's taco stand out of business with their terrible work ethic. I guess the title is meant to be ironic because they are actually quite lazy.

I think that South Park is always going to have new material to work with because there are always new things happening in pop culture. I wish they would do a marathon of the show like the Every Simpsons Ever marathon that is going on for 12 days on FXX.

#5 Arrowfan7813

Arrowfan7813

Shy

• 7 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

Totally agree. South Park will always have material. That reminds me of something I discuss with friends quite a bit.

Do you consider TV in general (and more specifically shows like South Park, The Simpsons and Family Guy) art?

I think all these shows are our modern art. Some people disagree with me and think because the shows sometimes employ 'tasteless' humor that they couldn't possibly be considered art. But I don't believe art needs to be agreeable to everyone. I'm not a big art person but I'm willing to bet that some of the works that we consider classic were not as well received when they were first created.

I think good art creates controversy. It makes you feel something, good or bad. And that makes you want to talk about it.

I like to ask, '200 years from now, what do you think will be in museums?'

#6 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

Totally agree. South Park will always have material. That reminds me of something I discuss with friends quite a bit.

Do you consider TV in general (and more specifically shows like South Park, The Simpsons and Family Guy) art?

I think all these shows are our modern art. Some people disagree with me and think because the shows sometimes employ 'tasteless' humor that they couldn't possibly be considered art. But I don't believe art needs to be agreeable to everyone. I'm not a big art person but I'm willing to bet that some of the works that we consider classic were not as well received when they were first created.

I think good art creates controversy. It makes you feel something, good or bad. And that makes you want to talk about it.

Of course art can tasteless. I saw a piece of modern art at a museum called Piss Christ which was a picture of Jesus in a glass frame filled with the artist's urine. If Piss Christ is art, then South Park and Black Jesus can be art.

There are a lot of movies that were considered disgusting and offensive when they came out but are now considered classics. Eddie Murphy was considered crass in his early career but now people refer to him and Richard Pryor as comedy masters. I think history will remember South Park and The Simpsons for their parody of everything ridiculous in society.

#7 Arrowfan7813

Arrowfan7813

Shy

• 7 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:25 PM

The League - Don't let the fact that this is about fantasy football stop you from giving it a try. I don't dig sports of any kind or fantasy leagues. I watched this show just for the hell of it because I was bored and had nothing else to watch. Hilarious. You don't need to know anything. It is the focus of the show but...you don't need to be a cop or murderer to enjoy CSI so.... yea. The League is awesome on it's own. But then it also introduced me to two other awesome things.

Kroll Show - Kind of a clip comedy show. Nick Kroll goes from playing a toliet baby to a gigolo to an animal plastic surgeon. I would not have expected the guy who plays Ruxin to be this funny but he is amazing. And the way he weaves his bits together is also pretty cool. Everything gets used somewhere else. So you'll see a commercial parody then a few minutes later you'll hear that commercial song on the radio in another sketch. Cool stuff.

The other awesome thing I discovered from The League isn't a show but a person. Jon LaJoie who plays Taco on The League has some hilarious YouTube videos. What he does on the show is just the tip of the iceberg. I'd recommend starting out with 'Please Use This Song'. Fair warning that song will be stuck in your head for a few weeks.

#8 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:00 AM

I didn't discover Jon LaJoie on The League, I discovered him on his Comedy Central stand up special where he performed "Show Me Your Genitals".

I absolutely love The League. I don't care about football but you don't have to like football to relate to a show about friends that are jerks.

Andre, played by Paul Scheer is a huge douche and I get angry at him every episode.

I like Kroll Show too, but I LOVE The League, It coined phrases like "height supremacist" and "vagina hubris".

Tosh.0 is doing a squeaky clean family friendly episode this week. He's been promoting it for months. I'm genuinely curious to see what he's going to do.

#9 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:00 AM

So the Tosh.0 family friendly episode was still funny, in spite of the kids in the audience. But the most recent episode of Key & Peele was the worst episode they've done so far.

Seriously? Beating up a dog because you think that your wife is cheating on you with it, while the dog's owner is standing in your living room shirtless?

I also hated the sketch with the Alabanians and Macedonians yelling about how much they hate each other. Not a funny episode.

#10 wulfman

wulfman

Cordial

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:00 AM

CC's lineup in my country is horrible right now.

#11 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:19 AM

I thought that the Comedy Central lineup was the same everywhere. What shows does Comedy Central air in your country?

#12 AllBuffedUp

AllBuffedUp

Cordial

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:32 PM

In Germany, Comedy Central airs South Park and Family Guy and American Dad and Bob's Burgers. It also has About a Boy, Community, That 70 Show and, I think, The Mindy Project.

About a Boy is pretty recent, and so is Bob's Burgers. I guess they add them as they get the rights and the dub -- great channel to watch in the evening, I'm watching Bob's Burgers right now (with the baseball game and the son who just forgets the name of his dad's restaurant!). I have no idea what is on air in the day, but I have the nagging prejudice that daytime TV (especially in Germany! Always the same episodes!) is inferior TV.

As to the question: is South Park art, hard one, as I would not be able to find a way to classify what is modern art and what not. What I do know for sure is that our teachers showed us a few episodes in our Religion&Ethics class to get us talking!

#13 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

Key and Peele is getting kind of dark but they're still funny. They did an Aerobics Meltdown sketch where a cheerful 1980's aerobics instructor finds out that someone tried to kill his family and he has to keep smiling and dancing because he's on live TV.

I also liked the one about the two old ladies battling Satan. But the Halloween episode with the evil kid in the hospital is so disturbing that I usually skip it.

#14 primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:03 AM

The only Comedy Central show (besides stand-up) I watch is "South Park". That show put that station on the map. I read that before "South Park" their sponsors were paying them as little as $7,000. That's nothing in the advertising/TV world. Honestly, unless somehow Matt and Trey are locked into Comedy Central for life, why would they stay there? I think it is one of the worst basic cable channels there is. "South Park" is now on it's 18th season, and has bypassed "King of the Hill" for second-longest running animation. I could actually see "Simpsons" getting cancelled first, and "South Park" one day being the top dog.

Edited by primalclaws1974, 18 January 2015 - 02:03 AM.

#15 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:59 AM

I love comedy central, sadly it's no longer in our plan :(  I loved to watch ''Ugly Americans'' and the re runs of the Nanny :(  Miss it so badly!  I used to watch South Park over there as well, and also the national and international stand up episodes!  Loved them!   I miss that channel the most, but life goes on!  I heard the TV show ''Ugly Americans'' was cancelled a while ago anyway.

#16 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:01 AM

Of course art can tasteless. I saw a piece of modern art at a museum called Piss Christ which was a picture of Jesus in a glass frame filled with the artist's urine. If Piss Christ is art, then South Park and Black Jesus can be art.

There are a lot of movies that were considered disgusting and offensive when they came out but are now considered classics. Eddie Murphy was considered crass in his early career but now people refer to him and Richard Pryor as comedy masters. I think history will remember South Park and The Simpsons for their parody of everything ridiculous in society.

Lol, wow!  Piss Christ? I think I have heard it all!!!!   That's awful, I'm not christian, nor do I believe in Jesus or anything like that, but I really think that is so awful.  I wonder how come they didn't ban that piece of ''art''? I can imagine a lot christian groups being so mad at this artist, to the point of getting dangerous! Yikes! As for Black Jesus, well, yeah, that one can definitely be art, not sure about piss Christ tho... the piss part seems so unnecessary.