• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 gktime

gktime

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

I am surprised that I haven't seen a topic about this very popular show yet.

American Idol is show about talented singers who compete against each other, and a panel of judges decides the winner.

I have only seen snippets of this show. I have never watched a whole entire episode. But it seems like some of the stories on this show could be very inspirational. But I still don't see the point to watching it.

So, what do you think of this show? Do you watch it often?

#2 CAMom50

CAMom50

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

There's more to the contest than 14 out of millions auditioning making it to the top 10 for appearances, commercials and off Idol work. The process starts during auditions where the 3 judges (Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler) decide whether or not the auditioning Idol wannabe makes it to Hollywood. Hell week and more singing until it dwindles to the top 14 appearing before a live audience to sing for votes.

Each show has a theme whether it be a genre of music, artist singer or era of music to be performed. America votes and the Idol contestant with the fewest number goes home unless they can convince the judges through a last ditch effort to win the stay. The judges have 2 for the season they can use to keep a contestant for another week.

At the end, one is crowned American Idol. Each week brings to the show a guest mentor usually a headliner (Gaga appeared last year for example) and now, a guest fashion icon is helping the Idols dress for success. Wednesday nights have the Idols singing, usually 2h until it's down to the top 5; Thursdays are results show lasting 1h.

#3 Ned Stark

Ned Stark

Staff

• Moderators
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

Erika Van Pelt was voted off last night from American Idol. And then there was 9. Frankly and it's just my personal opinion, but, I thought Joshua Ledet deserved to go home. He sang off key and his rendition of the song he sang made the mating call of the Tom cat sound better in comparison.

Heejun Han acted like a fool on stage so naturally the buzz was he was favored as the one to go home but while Heejun shouldn't quit his day job just yet, Erika's polished look and voice wound up not being enough to keep her around for another week. Should be interesting to see how this pans out in the end. So far more guys than girls (by one) are in the top 9 heading into next week. My personal favorite is Jessica Sanchez and while her rendition of the song she sang for Billy Joel week wasn't bad, it wasn't her best. If she doesn't pull out all the stops like she did during Whitney Houston week she's not going to make it far in this competition.

#4 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

Erika Van Pelt was voted off last night from American Idol. And then there was 9. Frankly and it's just my personal opinion, but, I thought Joshua Ledet deserved to go home. He sang off key and his rendition of the song he sang made the mating call of the Tom cat sound better in comparison.

Heejun Han acted like a fool on stage so naturally the buzz was he was favored as the one to go home but while Heejun shouldn't quit his day job just yet, Erika's polished look and voice wound up not being enough to keep her around for another week. Should be interesting to see how this pans out in the end. So far more guys than girls (by one) are in the top 9 heading into next week. My personal favorite is Jessica Sanchez and while her rendition of the song she sang for Billy Joel week wasn't bad, it wasn't her best. If she doesn't pull out all the stops like she did during Whitney Houston week she's not going to make it far in this competition.

oops, sorry about that. I'll be more careful next time to post it in the correct spot.

#5 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

omg Sanchez's rendition of Houston's "I Will Always Love You" brought a tear to my eyes when she sang it. I am not a Houston fan and while it's the theme for a movie she did which made her a superstar, I honestly thought Sanchez sang it better than Houston, hands down.

#6 gktime

gktime

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

There's more to the contest than 14 out of millions auditioning making it to the top 10 for appearances, commercials and off Idol work. The process starts during auditions where the 3 judges (Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler) decide whether or not the auditioning Idol wannabe makes it to Hollywood. Hell week and more singing until it dwindles to the top 14 appearing before a live audience to sing for votes.

Each show has a theme whether it be a genre of music, artist singer or era of music to be performed. America votes and the Idol contestant with the fewest number goes home unless they can convince the judges through a last ditch effort to win the stay. The judges have 2 for the season they can use to keep a contestant for another week.

At the end, one is crowned American Idol. Each week brings to the show a guest mentor usually a headliner (Gaga appeared last year for example) and now, a guest fashion icon is helping the Idols dress for success. Wednesday nights have the Idols singing, usually 2h until it's down to the top 5; Thursdays are results show lasting 1h.

Yes, I know about the auditions too, but they just don't seem to be that interesting...are they?

#7 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

I watch American Idol too, and I find them nteresting. When AI first started until about 2 seasons ago, Simon Cowell was the buzz of the AI for his attitude toward the auditioning contestants. That's what made the show a hit, people tuned in to see and hear him cut down the contestants. Another interesting feature of AI auditioning contestants were those who were clearly not eligible to move on to the Hollywood round.

#8 SimplyJo

SimplyJo

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

My personal opinion is the finals of AI is rigged and the favourite who is supposed to win always comes in second no matter what.

Please correct me if I am wrong?? I have also heard rumours that this is due to excessive betting.

#9 CarbonKid

CarbonKid

Shy

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

It's sad to say that I rarely catch any new episodes of American Idol. I was a fan of the show and liked to watch it when I could - I was not a "must see it at all times" fan, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Over the years, I have come to be disappointed in the show. It appears that all of the remaining acts, during the last few weeks, are typical and do not offer any uniqueness. I loved Adam Lambert, though I thought he tried too hard to stand out at times, but he got the job done when it came to standing out. I do hope the show will start to rise up again!

#10 kristiane

kristiane

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

Everyone was surprise to the decision of the judges to use their 'save privilege' for Jessica Sanchez the night of April 12. Jessica having one with the lowest votes have to sing to be able to at least save herself, but the judges did it for her. It was a heart-warming scene when judges took the stage and Jennifer Lopez announced that they are saving Jessica without a doubt.Randy said, "She is one of the best singers in America. Are you kidding me? Jessica was very much astounded and said she did not expected anything as such
No doubt about it, Jessica really deserved the given privilege. Maybe the voters did not realized how good she was. For sure it will be the start of her strong defense in the competition. People will eventually see how talented she is; thus giving her more votes.

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtHaX92yYWcbAaXtvTn9Ok__IiNQrloxgbSaaOkTfOtv4sc1eW,

#11 CAMom50

CAMom50

Cordial

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

My personal opinion is the finals of AI is rigged and the favourite who is supposed to win always comes in second no matter what.

Please correct me if I am wrong?? I have also heard rumours that this is due to excessive betting.

The problem is their voting system. You can vote up to 8 times but if you have a firewall that mixes your isp address, you can simply go back to the site and if you cleaned your cache and browser (and any cookies), you can vote again. Seems like cheating but it's the way it is set up. I think there should be some way in place where you can only vote one time and that's it.

#12 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

OK, did anyone watch last night's singing between the final 7? It will be a brutal cut tonight as there are no safe tickets now that the last one was used on Jessica (my favorite). I am on the edge of my seat. I don't want her in the bottom three tonight and it would be wonderful if a woman won this year's Idol competition.

#13 kristiane

kristiane

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

5 more for Jessica to reach to top! I hope she can move more forward! I love the way she sang "fallen," she simply showed how deserving she was. Unfortunately Colton Dixon, didn't made it..But that's the show all about, only one will win.

#14 Peggy

Peggy

Cordial

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

5 more for Jessica to reach to top! I hope she can move more forward! I love the way she sang "fallen," she simply showed how deserving she was. Unfortunately Colton Dixon, didn't made it..But that's the show all about, only one will win.

I really liked Colton, but I had a feeling after he sang on Wednesday that he wasn't going to make it. I'm okay with Jessica, but I guess Phillip Phillips has been my favorite this season.

Next week --- should be interesting.

#15 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

I haven't been following closely so I don't have an opinion

What do you guys think of this TV Guide article? Link

Could be he was good, better than the reminding contestants, but Colton just didn't get the votes. Happens all the time.

#16 Rhodes

Rhodes

Cordial

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

Does anyone remember Daughtry? He was ousted from season 5 of American Idol. Anyway, since then he's made a name for himself along with his band. Other winners and runners up pale. Taylor Hicks for example won in season 5 and you hardly if ever hear about him or what he's doing. Just because you win means nothing if you don't have a marketable overall voice and package combination.

#17 kristiane

kristiane

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:46 AM

Oh my, I really like this one!
Jessica did so well with this song! she sang it with gracefulness and so feminine even if the song is so simple! She stopped the audience's hearts from beating! :D
certainly, deserves to be on top!
Jlo: how could we let this girl go home! cmon!

http://www.youtube.com/v/eh0RBxVhL9Q

#18 Rhodes

Rhodes

Cordial

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

Well people, the results are in, Phillip Phillips was crowned the 2012 American Idol with Jessica Sanchez as runner up. The night was filled with what you would expect from American Idol and naturally big name talent abound.

American Idol 2012 results

#19 kristiane

kristiane

Cordial

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

Oh yes Phillip won, Jessica's fans are unhappy with the result. This is one example of their reaction: :frawn

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#20 Midnight

Midnight

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

I was rooting for Jessica Sanchez. Her rendition of "I Will Always Love You" and her "And I am Telling You" duet with Jennifer Holliday were unforgettable. However, in competitions where text voters choose the winner, talent might not be enough to get the crown.