• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

I read just about everything. Right now my YA favorites are Hunger Games and The Fault In Our Stars

Both of these made my top 5 for last year. Every once in a while I go on a complete YA kick, and I'm not often disappointed as long as I stick with things that are getting good reviews on a large scale. I tried Sookie Stackhouse this year.

I didn't make it. 

Ugh. I have a hard time with vampire anything ever since the dreaded Twilight series, and this to me was just as cheesy in a completely different way.

But as long as we're talking YA, I'm putting a plug in for my all time favorite book of life: Ender's Game. Movie is supposedly coming out this year and I couldn't be more excited. I doubt it will do it justice, but I think I've read the book about 50 times, so I'm pumped for the movie anyway. This is the book that made me everyone's favorite high school English teacher. I'm serious. I've turned probably 300 teenagers who once claimed to "hate reading" into book lovers with this book. :)

I'll have to check out Ender's Game. I'm always looking for something good to read.

I think I'm gonna try to reread some classics this fall too, from back when I was in high school.

Congrats on turning the teens into readers. The worst thing a person can say is "I don't read" to me. I think I'd rather hear you were visualizing ways to kill me or something. LOL

#22 almari011

almari011

Cordial

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:00 AM

I have a lot of favorites but my top 2 will be the Harry Potter series and The Lost Heroes Series. I've read Harry Potter since I was a kid and it has grown into me a lot. :) Lost Heroes by Rick Riordan is my current fave. Too bad the next book will be out next year. I can't wait for it! :)

#23 Kaybee517

Kaybee517

Friendly

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

My favorite author is Victoria Christopher Murray. She has a selection of books and I like them all. I supposed the first book I read from her was one of my favorites. It's called "Grown Folks Business". The opening of the book captured me from the first page. A wife expecting her husband home for dinner is greeted by her husband and he tells her he's leaving her...for another man!

#24 seascaping

seascaping

Friendly

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

I have a lot of favorites but my top 2 will be the Harry Potter series and The Lost Heroes Series. I've read Harry Potter since I was a kid and it has grown into me a lot. :) Lost Heroes by Rick Riordan is my current fave. Too bad the next book will be out next year. I can't wait for it! :)

I loved Harry Potter too (not so much the last book, but that's a whole other thread) I alo love anything by Rick Riordan. He's a fun read. You should try Derek Landy's Skulduggery Pleasant. They are soo good, and one of my favorites.

#25 SweetBeast

SweetBeast

Cordial

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

My favorite childhood book was Key To The Treasure as my nieces loved it & now their children like it as well!

I did read the DaVinci Code 3 times, my favorite is Wuthering Heights! And the original film of the same in 1939, is in my top 10 films of all time!

As far as series go, I love Patricia Cornwell's series as she created some great characters, in Kay Scarpetta, her niece Lucy, Peta Marino & Benton Wesley, amongst some others. I like the detail as Ms. Cornwell herself was the Medical Examiner of the Commonwealth of Virginia for many years.

#26 hogwarts

hogwarts

Cordial

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

As you can probably tell by my username, Harry Potter all the way. That series just means a whole lot to me - it's my childhood! And it's also a brilliant series in itself. JK Rowling built such a rich, complex world with equally rich and complex characters.

Other than that, I love: The Hunger Games, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, The White Tiger, and many more.

#27 Kementarri

Kementarri

Cordial

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

As you can probably tell by my username, Harry Potter all the way. That series just means a whole lot to me - it's my childhood! And it's also a brilliant series in itself. JK Rowling built such a rich, complex world with equally rich and complex characters.

Other than that, I love: The Hunger Games, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, The White Tiger, and many more.

The Harry Potter series is definitely my favourite book(s) of all time as it too was something that I grew up with from childhood... it practically is my childhood, it's what I remember the most any ways. I think J.K Rowling did a wonderful job of creating a series that applies to both children and adults in a dynamic world filled with wonderment.

With that said I also like The Hunger Games, City of Mortal Instruments, Iron Fey Series, Lord of the Rings, Oryx and Crake, and Divergent.

#28 Jel

Jel

Cordial

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:30 AM

I love anything John Grisham, however I am more a fan of his legal thrillers and some of his books are not about the law at all. I also love Sidney Sheldon and Joy Fielding. Joy Fielding is a bit like Mary Higgins Clark, however her books are much better I feel and I was so glad when I discovered them. I used to love Jackie Collins, however I have to be in the mood to read her books now, but they are good. I think my favourite was Lucky, and most of the Santangelo series and I loved Lovers and Gamblers and always wished she would write a sequel to that one. She may have as it's been a while since I read any of her books. Jeffrey Archer is also fantastic, Kane and Abel is my favourite and I did get into Patricia Cornwell for a bit there, but have lost interest with these books too, as it's all about murder mysteries and sometimes you just want to read something else.

#29 joenifer29

joenifer29

Noob

• 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

Wow, favorite book....how do I even answer that?  It's so hard to pick just one.  I suppose as far as book series go, my favorite would have to be the Harry Potter series.  I know, not very original, but I just absolutely LOVED them!  I remember when they first came out...I wasn't very interested, and always walked past them at Barnes and Noble.  Then the movie came out and piqued my curiosity.  So I bought the first one and was completely hooked after that.  I have probably read all of them at least 3 or 4 times.  Now, on to favorite book...do I have to pick just one?  Let's see, I guess I would have to say that Requiem For A Dream by Hubert Selby Jr. is my favorite.  Don't be fooled, this book is most definitely NOT for the lighthearted.  However, I tend to lean on the morbid side so this book is right up my alley.  White Oleander by Janet Fitch would have to be my second favorite.  It's such a sad, haunting, and lyrical book.  I definitely recommend both. 

#30 cpw

cpw

Cordial

• 12 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

I read just about everything. Right now my YA favorites are Hunger Games and The Fault In Our Stars

Both of these made my top 5 for last year. Every once in a while I go on a complete YA kick, and I'm not often disappointed as long as I stick with things that are getting good reviews on a large scale. I tried Sookie Stackhouse this year.

I didn't make it. 

Ugh. I have a hard time with vampire anything ever since the dreaded Twilight series, and this to me was just as cheesy in a completely different way.

But as long as we're talking YA, I'm putting a plug in for my all time favorite book of life: Ender's Game. Movie is supposedly coming out this year and I couldn't be more excited. I doubt it will do it justice, but I think I've read the book about 50 times, so I'm pumped for the movie anyway. This is the book that made me everyone's favorite high school English teacher. I'm serious. I've turned probably 300 teenagers who once claimed to "hate reading" into book lovers with this book. :)

#31 Tempe

Tempe

Cordial

• 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

The Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly is my favorite. Connelly is an excellent writer. I frequently re-read his books -- they hold up very well. I also like Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone series. I'm enjoying her new one -- W is for Wasted -- now.

#32 jayant102

jayant102

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:17 AM

Well that's a tough one. For years, I have maintained that JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings is my favorite book of all time. In recent times, GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire series has come pretty close to it and depending on how it ends the series as a whole might just take the top spot. Neil Gaiman's Sandman comic book series is another one which has occasionally forced me to reconsider my favorites but as I haven't read all the trade paperbacks, I don't think I am in a position to declare that I like Tolkien's masterpiece less than it. So, for the time being the epic chronicle of the lives of elves, men, dwarves and hobbits stays as my favorite book of all time.

#33 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:23 AM

I loved Harry Potter too (not so much the last book, but that's a whole other thread) I alo love anything by Rick Riordan. He's a fun read. You should try Derek Landy's Skulduggery Pleasant. They are soo good, and one of my favorites.

As with most book fads, I have tried to get into them but something just doesn't click. I find that I don't really appreciate J.K. Rowling's writing style? I find it much too simple, and unimaginative, but then it makes sense that she would write her books that way because children and early teenagers were reading it, and perhaps would not have known what some of the bigger words meant.

#34 jayant102

jayant102

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

As with most book fads, I have tried to get into them but something just doesn't click. I find that I don't really appreciate J.K. Rowling's writing style? I find it much too simple, and unimaginative, but then it makes sense that she would write her books that way because children and early teenagers were reading it, and perhaps would not have known what some of the bigger words meant.

Simplicity is always a good thing. When your main aim is telling the kids a story, you don't try to pepper it with euphemisms, allegories and big sounding words, you just say the story as it happens. I am not a huge fan of the HP series but as I read them growing up I can appreciate the impact they had on a lot of young reader. I think they should be appreciated for that alone.

#35 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:32 PM

Simplicity is always a good thing. When your main aim is telling the kids a story, you don't try to pepper it with euphemisms, allegories and big sounding words, you just say the story as it happens. I am not a huge fan of the HP series but as I read them growing up I can appreciate the impact they had on a lot of young reader. I think they should be appreciated for that alone.

I have always been a writer. I love to write and read, and for some reason I just didn't resonate with the HP series of books. I have always appreciated clever ways of wording things, and metaphors and such alike. I like the creativity and depth that goes into it. It all creates a tone much of the time, and I didn't get that from the Harry Potter books. So I was bored out of my mind and lost respect for the writer, because by my standards they were not that good a writer. but at the same time I understood that none of the other kids that were my age went home after school and read until it was time to go to sleep every night lol. The simplicity was not enough for me.

#36 jayant102

jayant102

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

To each his own then. Ernest Hemingway made a name for himself mostly by virtue of his extremely simplistic and economical style of writing and was praised for it. On the other hand, Asimov's dry and simplistic prose was often considered the only flaw in his books. 

Different things working for different people.

#37 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

To each his own then. Ernest Hemingway made a name for himself mostly by virtue of his extremely simplistic and economical style of writing and was praised for it. On the other hand, Asimov's dry and simplistic prose was often considered the only flaw in his books. 

There are also different styles for different eras, fashions come and go. Its nice to have variety, though ;)

#38 jayant102

jayant102

Friendly

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:17 AM

There are also different styles for different eras, fashions come and go. Its nice to have variety, though ;)

Well Asimov and Hemingway are still highly regarded and widely read. But true, always nice to have variety. :)

#39 westmost

westmost

Friendly

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:15 AM

Well Asimov and Hemingway are still highly regarded and widely read. But true, always nice to have variety. :)

Oh, I didn't mean to imply they weren't. No one writes in iambic pentameter anymore either, but that hasn't affected Shakespeare's relevance or popularity. Styles in art get adopted and then reacted against, but the best of the creators transcend and survive.

#40 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

I'm awful at picking favourites. I'm also awful at actually sitting down and reading the books I own. I always recommend Boy A to anyone who'll listen though as it's an excellent book and was made a few years ago into a pretty good movie.