Favorite Book

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 Aztec

Aztec

Shy

• 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

I read A WHOLE lot, usually science fiction or classical literature. I know, big difference there. The best book I've read in recent memory was probably The Brothers Karamazov last year, I haven't tackled War and Peace yet but my sister says I should. Kind of scared to :(.

#42 squareeyes89

squareeyes89

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:05 PM

Mine would have to be Nineteen-EightyFour by "George Orwell" as it's themes such as censorship, survillance and freedom are just as important, perhaps more so, in today's society, than when it was originally written. I also love reading about Dystopian Futures. :)

#43 frightmare

frightmare

Friendly

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

I'm not sure if it's my favourite, but I do find No Easy Answers: The Truth Behind Death at Columbine a fascinating read. It's a much better choice of reading than Dave Cullen's book about Columbine, that's for sure.

#44 pipergale

pipergale

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:40 AM

Mine would have to be Nineteen-EightyFour by "George Orwell" as it's themes such as censorship, survillance and freedom are just as important, perhaps more so, in today's society, than when it was originally written. I also love reading about Dystopian Futures. :)

George Orwell's 1984 is amazing, and what's more is the fact that everything that he wrote is coming to fruition in current life. As I have stated before, he was either an insider as to the new world order, or he was prophetic. I doubt that he was psychic. 

#45 annadandelion

annadandelion

Cordial

• 10 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:44 AM

I read A WHOLE lot, usually science fiction or classical literature. I know, big difference there. The best book I've read in recent memory was probably The Brothers Karamazov last year, I haven't tackled War and Peace yet but my sister says I should. Kind of scared to :(.

If you went through Brothers Karamazov, War and Peace is not going to be a problem for you. It's bigger in volume but much less difficult regarding the psychological aspects. Dostoyevsky is one of the hardest writers in that regard, so if you get through his books, Tolstoy should be a breeze :). I also recommend Crime and Punishment if you hadn't read it, I like it even more than Brothers.

#46 CrazyRunner

CrazyRunner

Noob

• 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:33 PM

My favorite book is definitely Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. This book was so suspenseful and so well written that it had me up all night trying to figure out what happens. This psychological thriller puts you into the mind of a psychotic woman who is desperately trying to keep her failing marriage together.

#47 wulfman

wulfman

Cordial

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:37 PM

I don't have a favorite book really. I do enjoy certain authors though like Peter Benchley and John Grisham.

#48 TatsuKaji

TatsuKaji

Cordial

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:18 PM

My favorite book is The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson, it's a motivational how to book more or less that teaches you about how slight, subtle steps in the right or wrong direction can lead you to success or failure. It's a wonderful book, everyone should read it, it should be required reading in school at an early age to prepare children. If we were talking about normal books I would have to say Harry Potter or Lords of The Ring. It's a toss up between those two, I know they're very popular but I picked them up before I saw any of the movies.

#49 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:46 PM

I like a lot of different books, like Out by Natsuo Kirino, about an abused wife who works at a Japanese boxed lunch factory and kills her abusive husband.

The other female factory workers help her hide the body by grinding him into meat and putting him in the dumplings.

You would think that revealing those disgusting potstickers would be a spoiler but the book starts that way and everything that happens after that is the story.

Another abused wife book by a Japanese author that I like is My Year of Meats by Ruth Ozeki.

#50 chattygirl

chattygirl

Cordial

• 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:28 AM

It's so difficult to narrow it down to just one or two books. I read literature from so many different genres.  I really enjoy Stephen King's books. Two of my favorites are The Shining and his novella collection Different Seasons. As far as suspense and thrillers, two books I've enjoyed recently are Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and Defending Jacob by William Landay.  I found The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield hard to put down.  It's a slow moving story, but it really drew me in. 

#51 TvPerson

TvPerson

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:58 AM

Anything by Sherrilyn Kenyon and the Vampire Chronciles of Anne Rice. I have Anne to thank for my love of reading. Her vampires brought about my love of the supernatural creatures and sought out more sci-fi books. If you haven't already, I suggest checkiing out Kenyon. Her supernatural romance is just delicious. Action, love and Greek myths, oh my! 

#52 DareDevil

DareDevil

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:05 AM

Anything by Sherrilyn Kenyon and the Vampire Chronciles of Anne Rice. I have Anne to thank for my love of reading. Her vampires brought about my love of the supernatural creatures and sought out more sci-fi books. If you haven't already, I suggest checkiing out Kenyon. Her supernatural romance is just delicious. Action, love and Greek myths, oh my! 

I read Styxx and Acheron back to back. Oh my, what an experience.

#53 TvPerson

TvPerson

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:41 AM

I'm currently reading Acheron! :D Some of the things he's gone through...It's too heartbeating. Why does he have to suffer such a fate because of his father's (both the human and god) was moronic fools? He was so kind and sweet better than his brother, that's for sure! Still, I would just want to hold him. :( 

#54 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:00 PM

I'm currently reading Acheron! :D Some of the things he's gone through...It's too heartbeating. Why does he have to suffer such a fate because of his father's (both the human and god) was moronic fools? He was so kind and sweet better than his brother, that's for sure! Still, I would just want to hold him. :(

I read Styxx and Acheron back to back. Oh my, what an experience.

I read Acheron before Styxx.

My opinion totally changed after reading the second book. Everything I thought was true in Acheron was proven wrong. It is interesting because the timeline parallel the twin's lives from birth.

Ryssa was so sweet to Acheron.

Anyway, Artemis >>>>>>>> Tory.

Tory was a terrible choice for Acheron.

Edited by Cybagem, 05 December 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#55 TvPerson

TvPerson

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:50 PM

I found out recently that Anne Rice went by another and made adult erotica books!  :o Did anyone else know that? If so, please post a reply. I don't know the name that she goes by for those book, but I wouldn't mind reading them!  :P

#56 Reality Junkie

Reality Junkie

Friendly

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:46 PM

I found out recently that Anne Rice went by another and made adult erotica books!  :o Did anyone else know that? If so, please post a reply. I don't know the name that she goes by for those book, but I wouldn't mind reading them!  :P

She's written three books under the pseudonym Ana Roquelaure.

Amazon

#57 TvPerson

TvPerson

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:20 PM

She's written three books under the pseudonym Ana Roquelaure.

Amazon

Thank you so much for the reply! I appreciate this greatly! :D I'm going to have to add this to my reading list; I have too many books to catch up on! Again, thanks so much! 

#58 TatsuKaji

TatsuKaji

Cordial

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:51 PM

Real easy one here, Harry Potter series. :D Everything my adult kiddy heart craves in the fantasy genre of things.

#59 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:49 PM

I know this is so cheesy and old lady-ish, but I've always loved the The Cat Who... books by Lillian Jackson Braun because I'm a cat lover. It's so cute the way that the cats indirectly help the reporter solve crimes by touching something with a soft paw that turns out to be a clue.

#60 AllBuffedUp

AllBuffedUp

Cordial

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:23 PM

I also love 1984! It's such an amazing projection into the future and pitfalls of society, and the Newspeak is beyond fascinating. This book, when you meet other interested readers, can always provoke the most intricate conversations, in my experience!

I love Dead Souls from Gogol, and The Little Prince.