• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 Jenners

Jenners

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

I just read a pretty good YA book -- it's called Love Letters to the Dead. I wont spoil it, but it's very Perks of Being a Wallflower type of thing. I especially liked it b/c some of the dead people she wrote to (being a teenager today) were people who were popular and died when I was in high school (Kurt Cobain and River Phoenix). Moving story, but also a very fast read (thanks to the letter format, I think). 

Speaking of fast reads, Andy Cohen's new book was pretty good too. He was a little stingy with the details (Housewife called me, Husband of Housewife called me but doesn't say which one), but a lot of what he did share was really fun. 

#62 Reality Junkie

Reality Junkie

Friendly

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:47 PM

I've been too lazy to read Andy's book, the reviews has been mixed so I don't feel too guilty as a self proclaimed reality TV fan.

If he doesn't dish about the one franchise he can, I've no use for the book. 

#63 TatsuKaji

TatsuKaji

Cordial

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

Favorite book   of 2015 so far is the walking dead manga, lot of chapters in this so i'll be reading for quite a long while i tihnk.

#64 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:44 PM

Because of some recent problems in my home life, I've been reading a book called Finding The Warrior Within that's written by a former Navy Seal. It describes the harshness of Navy Seal training and breaks down everything in life to missions, targets, allies, gear, etc.
The author's fighting spirit is helping me cope with my personal setbacks.

#65 Lushlala

Lushlala

Cordial

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:29 AM

I'm an avid reader and read every single day to wind down and escape into a world of fantasy. I like a few genres including biographies, suspense thrillers and romance/erotica. For this reason, it'd be hard for me to single out one book as a favourite, but nelson Mandela's Long Walk To Freedom is right up there with my favourite books of all time :)

#66 KimberlyD

KimberlyD

Friendly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:59 PM

What is your favorite book or book series, and why?

Personally, my favorite book is either the Hobbit or Eragon. I can't decide between the two, they are both amazing books. But my favorite series is probably the Inheritance Cycle, which is the Eragon series.

So, comment below and let us know what your favorite book or book series is and why!

Eragon?  Wow have not heard that one in a while.  Wonder why they never came out with a sequel to the movie?

I read so many books, it is hard for me to even name a favorite.  I love the Lord of the Rings, The Hunger Games, Divergent, Mortal Instruments.... there is a whole list of books that I would not mind reading again.

#67 tabee

tabee

Friendly

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:04 PM

I take pleasure in reading. It's difficult to choose among many. But to name just a few:

Who Moved My Cheese by Dr. Spencer Johnson - it talks about change and how we should deal with 'changes' that we meet

The Little Prince - Antoine de St.Exupery (???) - i read this in high school, but i often find myself reading it time and again

Jonathan Livingston Seagull - also a high school read. it's super easy to read and i like that it talks about daring to be different from the flock

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

The Good and Beautiful God: Falling in Love with the God Jesus Knows (The Apprentice Series) - James Bryan Smith

Letters to a Young Poet - Rainer Maria Rilke

and more.....

#68 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:01 PM

Lately I've been reading a language learning book from the Teach Yourself series.  I'm trying to learn a new language because I might be moving soon to another country.  I must say this isn't the first Teach Yourself book I have tried, I tried to learn Finnish when I was younger and the first and only book I bought for that was a book from the Teach Yourself series.  I loved the format :)  I have learnt quite a lot from it already!

#69 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:49 PM

Because of some recent problems in my home life, I've been reading a book called Finding The Warrior Within that's written by a former Navy Seal. It describes the harshness of Navy Seal training and breaks down everything in life to missions, targets, allies, gear, etc.
The author's fighting spirit is helping me cope with my personal setbacks.

I read that book because a friend of mine recommended it to me, I believe she recommended it to me because she knows that I've been struggling a lot with my health lately.  I read the whole book, it wasn't easy, but I did.  I even highlighted some important bits, I have to say I like the approach of this guy, right now I'm tackling all my health issues this way... one step at the time!  It's working!  I still got to do a lot things, but I'll get there so soon :)

#70 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:40 AM

I read the Cassandre Clare series, The Mortal Instruments, a few years ago and really enjoyed it.  It's about a young girl, who realizes that she's different and can "see" a world no one else sees.  She discovers the Shadowhunters, who are tasked with keeping the Vampires, Werewolves, and Warlocks from harming humans.  She's special, but they really don't know how.  Of course, she jumps in the fray and tries to save mankind from evil.  It's actually really good.  Then there was a prequel series, The Infernal Devices, this one takes place in Victorian England. 

I just read today that The Mortal Instruments will be adapted to a TV series, sometimes this year.  I hope it gets produced and that it stays true to the novels.  I can't wait to see it. 

#71 sammien94

sammien94

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:47 AM

50 shades of Grey! Haha just kidding, a bunch of monkeys with typewriters could churn out a better story than that. One of my favorite YA series is actually Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. Honestly, the guy is a much better writer than John Green yet gets nowhere near the same recognition :(

#72 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:53 AM

Hhahaha!  Did you watch the movie? Because I don't think you have read the book, or am I wrong?  I made the huge mistake of watching the movie because there wasn't any other movie we could watch (there were a lot children movies and we had already watched the other movies), so we watched that one. It was soooo stupid!!! God, I don't want to judge anyone, but I doubt anyone will find that film brilliant, lol. We didn't enjoy it, but at least we didn't get super bored... I mean, we made it til the end, because we just can't afford to leave in the middle of a movie we have already paid for.