• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:33 PM

I was a huge fan of The Giver when I was growing up. Did anyone else like this classic? Has anyone seen the new movie? I am afraid to watch it because I know I will hate it. I think Taylor Swift is in it too. 

#2 chattygirl

chattygirl

Cordial

• 10 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:00 AM

I've read The Giver, and I really like it. I did not continue with the rest of the companion books. Have you read those? Are they as good as The Giver? I have no interest in watching the movie because I can tell from the trailer that I am not going to like it at all.

#3 TvPerson

TvPerson

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:49 AM

I am NOT looking forward for this movie. It's ok to change one or two elements of the book to fix the plotholes and such, the way this movie went with it?! One: The main character is a 12 year old boy, NOT 18! 

Two: This isn't an action book! Why make it into an action movie?!

Three: You don't even get a chance to see the people after the character!

I feel like this movie will just be an insult to people that liked the book and only will be another mindless action/thriller film made just because the director doesn't have anymore creative genius left! 

Finally, I have one thing left to ask: Who IS the director? If it's M. Night, you KNOW this movie is going to bomb. 

#4 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:00 PM

I totally agree with you TvPerson! I was really bothered by the fact that they made Jonas older. They stripped away a huge theme from the book. I don't want to watch it and have it ruin my memories of this great book.

#5 TvPerson

TvPerson

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:38 AM

Thank you, sillylucy. :3 I can't receall, but wasn't Ayn Rynd the author of the book? 

#6 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:55 PM

Hi TvPerson! No, it wasn't Ayn Rand who wrote The Giver. The author of The Giver was Lois Lowry. Ayn Rand wrote The Fountainhead. 

#7 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:13 PM

I am NOT looking forward for this movie. It's ok to change one or two elements of the book to fix the plotholes and such, the way this movie went with it?! One: The main character is a 12 year old boy, NOT 18! 

Two: This isn't an action book! Why make it into an action movie?!

Three: You don't even get a chance to see the people after the character!

I feel like this movie will just be an insult to people that liked the book and only will be another mindless action/thriller film made just because the director doesn't have anymore creative genius left! 

Finally, I have one thing left to ask: Who IS the director? If it's M. Night, you KNOW this movie is going to bomb. 

You are not wrong, the movie wasn't what I expected... specially after reading the book!  This felt more like an action movie more than anything else, plus that romance between the main character and that girl? Didn't add too much to the story and felt oh so flat!!!  I was expecting much more from this film, specially after watching the trailer. I don't recommend it.