• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#21 gktime

gktime

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

Wow, that is great news! Since there is no continuous story, I won't really have to know what is going on before...thanks for your help Deborah!

#22 gktime

gktime

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

Now that I think about it, don't this show and family matters seem to have a lot of similar episodes, like being hustled at pool and preparing for the psat?

#23 tvFool

tvFool

Cordial

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

I wondered about that myself, some of the similarities were uncanny but actually I don't believe one was the spinoff from the other. I think Family Matters was a spinoff from Step By Step. I don't believe Fresh Prince of Bel Air was a spinoff from anything.

#24 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

It's as Deborah1962 said, but actually any show like this, be it Happy Days, Lavern and Shirley, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and so on during this era from about 1975-1990 sitcoms are all pretty much start, middle and end all in 30 minutes. The only 2 part ones as Deborah1962 also pointed out were called cliffhangers normally shown as Season Finale and the second half shown as the first episode of that show's Season Premier. Some shows still have that feel, New Girl for example doesn't have run on dialogue, neither does Big Bang Theory. Some of the big name shows cross over to another big name show to solve a crime for example, then both shows when aired show the other characters from the visiting show usually within a short amount of time or on the same night. Love when they do that.

#25 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

Well I think this show is 100% stereotypical in nature. Examples: mother in law Doris who is so meddling and intrusive you'd swear every MIL joke was about her. You have the wife who is nagging (again with the nagging wife jokes) and the husband who believes she's too controlling (no surprise) and hides from his duties (unless it was sexual)by playing golf. A brother that is jealous of his brother's success (again no surprise) and overshadowed by it and the typical FIL married to the MIL who cannot keep a civil comment in his mouth. It ran well for the years it did because that's what appealed to people then. It wouldn't last if aired now, people are just not interested anymore.

#26 Rhodes

Rhodes

Cordial

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

Blended family: Mom with three girls married Dad with three boys; they live in a 2 story house with their maid Alice.

Who didn't love Marsha, Jan, Cindy, Greg, Peter and Bobby? They were, along with Mike (dad) and Carol (mom) and of course Alice (maid) THE blended family that crossed barriers in TV land by introducing blended family and the problems that often arise from that. It got America talking because for the time period it ran from 1969-1974 when the Establishment was no longer accepted as the norm and the stay-at-home mom was a choice rather than expected. I loved the show myself. I found endearing stories around each of the kids and their parents as they struggled to embrace the inevitable change from what used to be expected to what waited for them as a family. I caught most if not all the reunions and special shows and was delighted to see what happened since each grew up and moved away from home. What did you think of the show? Did you watch it?

#27 Rhodes

Rhodes

Cordial

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

Story around a family who all sing and play in The Partridge Family band. Eldest son is the lead singer, the rest play instruments and back up vocals.

The story line revolved around widowed mom Shirley and her children who are involved in a musical band that plays ballads and rock of the day with Brian Kinkade as the band manager. The series ran from 1970-1974 with some of the songs sung by David Cassidy hitting the billboard charts as the series aired. I was in my teens when this hit TV land and was right in the demographic this show was aimed at because we often went out in droves to buy the vinyl records (45's) when songs hit the stores. The Partridge Family is iconic as they explored not only single parenthood but the ups and downs of a family based business. It proved a garage band can and did make the music charts and generate a fan base. Along with The Brady Bunch, it made TV memorable for me.

What about you? Did you watch The Partridge Family? Did you like the music? Who were your favorite characters?

#28 gktime

gktime

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

Well I think that Fresh Prince of Bel-Air kinda has a story, you would have to know the personality and history of the characters to get some of the jokes...is it like that with Happy Days?

#29 diganto

diganto

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:15 AM

I enjoyed watching Fresh Prince for so many years and still yearn for it. Wonderful dose of laughter and great sense of humour of Will Smith.

#30 SimplyJo

SimplyJo

Cordial

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Good ol shows. are the tops... I tell ya. Be it fresh prince of bel air.. or wonder years.. small wonder or home improvement. there r many which simply knock my socks off even after all these years.

#31 RemoteStealer

RemoteStealer

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Well I think that Fresh Prince of Bel-Air kinda has a story, you would have to know the personality and history of the characters to get some of the jokes...is it like that with Happy Days?

No, it's more like a day in the life of high school kids in the 1950's. You have your bully type (Fonz), your nerds and of course the gangs. It's a classic ideal view of what life was like during this time. It's probably akin to the stories your mom and dad have about what high school was like back in the 50's. Women usually stayed home and it was idealistic life: dad worked, came home to a clean house and home cooked meal, etc. The music was Rock and Roll, kids assembled at the neighborhood hamburger joint for a milkshake and to socialize. It has a basic story line that begins and then finishes 30 minutes later. There's few times you get a carry over unless it's a season finale.

#32 ILoveArcher

ILoveArcher

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

Married with Children. I never knew a family as dysfunctional as the Bundy's, but I liked their particular brand of dysfunction. I can admit now that I had a crush on Bud Bundy for years, and it's so funny to see them now in different roles that are almost polar opposites of what they were like on the show.

Katey Sagal voiced Leelah form Futurama and was the mom in that show, 8 things something something teenage daughter, Ed O'Neill is now on Modern Family, and while he's still the hilarious patriarch of another wacky family, he has something that Al never had....money!! Christina Applegate is now on Up All Night and she plays an executive producer of a popular TV show, starring Maya Rudolph.

I can't really say anything that David Faustino has been in except here recently, and that's a cartoon show which serves a sequel to Avatar the Last Airbender; The Legend of Korra. Either way, this was a classic show that I could watch repeatedly, so i guess it's a good thing they show all kinds of reruns on TBS

#33 Norax

Norax

Cordial

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

Married with Children. I never knew a family as dysfunctional as the Bundy's, but I liked their particular brand of dysfunction. I can admit now that I had a crush on Bud Bundy for years, and it's so funny to see them now in different roles that are almost polar opposites of what they were like on the show.

Katey Sagal voiced Leelah form Futurama and was the mom in that show, 8 things something something teenage daughter, Ed O'Neill is now on Modern Family, and while he's still the hilarious patriarch of another wacky family, he has something that Al never had....money!! Christina Applegate is now on Up All Night and she plays an executive producer of a popular TV show, starring Maya Rudolph.

I can't really say anything that David Faustino has been in except here recently, and that's a cartoon show which serves a sequel to Avatar the Last Airbender; The Legend of Korra. Either way, this was a classic show that I could watch repeatedly, so i guess it's a good thing they show all kinds of reruns on TBS

I think that whoever was writhing the script, with all the jokes, for Married with Children was simply a genius :) I love the jokes, the sarcasm in it, the black humor. Al Is simply the best and his approach towards life combined with his bed luck is great to watch :)

#34 Farrah

Farrah

Friendly

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

I am going to have to go with an oldie oldie, but a goodie goodie. The Andy Griffith Show. I can can watch those Marathons everyday. I feel like I live in Mayberry sometimes I watch it so much. I am so glad they have it on TVLAND.

#35 crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate

Friendly

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

I was just about to mention this show. Married...With Children was freaking legendary. I'd vote Al Bundy for president if I could (ok, hell no I wouldn't) but you get the idea. The thing about that show is that it desenitized society for the raunchy comedy and shows that come out these days.

Back in Married...With Children's time, the things they said and did were considered raunchy and "pushing the limit". But now, the things they did would be tame by today's standard. The show basically pioneered much of modern tv.

#36 pilot2fly

pilot2fly

Shy

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

I watched that show all the time when I was young. It still seems to have a large following to this day. Will Smith was perfect for his role. He played the "player trying to fix my life" role so well. But Carlton always made me laugh. He was too proper and stiff. His dance was hilarious though.

#37 Aberdeen

Aberdeen

Friendly

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

Wrong thread

#38 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

Was it the actress that played Laura that passed away a few years ago? So heartbreaking

Steve was too much for me to like, I liked Laura rebuffing his attempts over and over. I tend to dislike the caricature characters like Mr. Bean, Steve, Joey and so on

It was the actress that played Myra who passed away. I didn't really like the "love story" so to speak, more than I liked Steve's antics and his classic phrase, Did I do that. Haha, that is hilarious!

Yes, it was that actress who died from Renal failure. It was quite tragic because she was so young, and still had a promising career ahead of her. I wasn't too fond of her character on Family Matters either, but she was a very attractive girl and a talented actress none the less. Like you I did like Steve's clumsy antics on the show and how he eventually endeared himself to the entire Winslow family to where he was more or less considered and honorary member of the family.

#39 ChanellG

ChanellG

Friendly

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

It's hard to forget something that is still running daily in syndication. The Fresh Prince had many funny moments during the time it was on the air. Some of the episodes are still funny when you watch them again. Some of the stuff was just plain goofy though.

#40 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

It's hard to forget something that is still running daily in syndication. The Fresh Prince had many funny moments during the time it was on the air. Some of the episodes are still funny when you watch them again. Some of the stuff was just plain goofy though.

I think the goofiness is what makes it so funny! I still love watching the old episodes. A lot of it is outdated,of course, but it's still funny! I think the earlier seasons were better than the last ones.