• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Zyni

Zyni

Friendly

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:28 AM

Do you find it frustrating when you constantly have to adjust the sound when watching TV or a movie? It seems like with all the technology now available, they could find a way to make whispers play at a higher volume and car crashes to be toned down a bit for a more even volume throughout.

#2 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:43 AM

I agree. There are times when there's a tense moment and someone's whispering in a movie and I lean in to hear, when suddenly there's a bloodcurdling scream.

I find myself playing with the volume control a lot. I do wish that they would make the volume more consistent in movies and shows.

This happens a lot during tense moments in The Walking Dead. Rick will be whispering and someone will suddenly get shot. I jump a lot during that show.

#3 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

I agree. I really hate how loud theme songs are on shows. Why is it that they can get the darn theme song to blare through my speakers, but when the characters are speaking I have to pump up the volume. Shows like Modern Family are like this. The intro is low so I pump up the volume, but then the theme song hits and it is so loud. A bunch of cooking shows are like that too.

#4 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:23 AM

Infomercials also have this issue because some nights I fall asleep quietly watching Comedy Central and then get blasted awake by an infomercial for Wen or Insanity Workout.

I know that they are just trying to drum up business for their product but the noise is obnoxious.

#5 TvPerson

TvPerson

Cordial

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:16 PM

I hate how this is with any form of media. My aunt could be showing me a video on youtube via her game system and the video is low. However, when she goes to a game, the speakers are about to blow out. This seems worse when watching tv in general! We could be watching a station where the sound quality is garbage, but the minute something else comes on, it's perfectly fine. All I could think of the reason for this is budget. The people that were in charge of production didn't have the budget to get quality sound or they didn't check their equipment. 

#6 sillylucy

sillylucy

Friendly

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:03 PM

I hate when this happens during infomercials too! I just watched an old DVD of Degrassi junior high and they do this doing the theme song too! I don't get why the sound mixer doesn't fix the theme song levels. It's so annoying!

#7 Zyni

Zyni

Friendly

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:33 AM

I hate how this is with any form of media. My aunt could be showing me a video on youtube via her game system and the video is low. However, when she goes to a game, the speakers are about to blow out. This seems worse when watching tv in general! We could be watching a station where the sound quality is garbage, but the minute something else comes on, it's perfectly fine. All I could think of the reason for this is budget. The people that were in charge of production didn't have the budget to get quality sound or they didn't check their equipment. 

I don't really think it's about budget, because it even happens in big productions (expensive movies, etc). It seems that by now there should be some kind of "smart sound" or something... there's "smart" everything else. lol

#8 Skyspirit

Skyspirit

Cordial

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:52 PM

We were having this problem last night - it seems there can be a song that one can or can't hear then the text is too loud or too low, a lot of this most likely has to do w/television codng, and less to do with each program. I've noticed this to be the cases w/commercials throughout the 58 years of my lifetime, often wondering if there couldn't be soemthing developed to equalize the volume between programming and commercials. Now, it seems the problem has lapsed over into any aspect that is not related to the main aspect of a program..    My husbad and I beleive the themese songs often set the mood for each eipisode of a show, so having a change at least between if not between shows in the imagery and music for a show could also be a positive aspect of change when it comes to these issues in the future - don't you agree?

#9 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:10 PM

I totally hate that, specially when it's time to watch some commercials!  The the volume goes so high, but I know that is completely intentional, still not cool at all.  Then when someone is whispering or saying something really important I can barely hear what they're saying. I'm actually glad I no longer watch that much TV, so I don't have to face this so often... life with no commercials is just awesome.

#10 sammien94

sammien94

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:31 PM

Yes, definitely. I think movies are more guilty than tv with this though. Interstellar for example was quite an experience for my ears