• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:53 PM

This show needs its own thread. It is clever and hilarious. 

The title is misleading, I thought it'd be stereotypical but it hasn't thus far. I laugh at almost ever line. 

#2 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:45 PM

Well it DOES address a lot of stereotypes.... I'm finding it funny, but they really do play on stereotypes a lot. I guess that's part of what makes it hilarious at times.

#3 jneanz

jneanz

Cordial

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:49 PM

I have to admit this show is growing on me slowly.  When my media professor showed an extended trailer last semester, I was put off because it seemed to highlight some of the negativity in between Blacks and other races.  And it looks like it's set in L.A. where there is a high concentration of upper-middles class Blacks and biracial Blacks.

However, Blackish (still hate the name) has a take on things that anybody can relate to.  Last weeks' episode dealt with pranks and Halloween.  Some families or individuals go overboard but it was funny.  I'm also glad to see Diana Ross' daughter play a role that is different than Joan Clayton on Girlfriends.

#4 Silverfox

Silverfox

Cordial

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:48 PM

Well it DOES address a lot of stereotypes.... I'm finding it funny, but they really do play on stereotypes a lot. I guess that's part of what makes it hilarious at times.

I agree. I have not been able to watch consistently, but that it plays on the stereotypes is what makes it kind of funny to me as well. I agree with an earlier poster about the name being misleading but I heard Fishburne defending it on one of the talk shows. 

#5 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:59 AM

This is my favorite new comedy of the season. The whooping episode is my favorite so far. Stereotypes can be funny if done right and the writers on this show are getting it right.

Jack and Diane are little scene stealers, especiallyt he actress who plays Diane.

I wonder if any of the younger viewers understand the reference to Jack and Diane. I think it's hilarious and it sort of plays into the title of the show in a roundabout way.

Edited by iambre, 12 November 2014 - 09:00 AM.

#6 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:41 AM

This show needs its own thread. It is clever and hilarious. 

The title is misleading, I thought it'd be stereotypical but it hasn't thus far. I laugh at almost ever line. 

I had seen only the first two episodes when I wrote the above. Yes, there is stereotypes but it is not the usual trope.

It has become my favorite binge show. Too bad it is only a half an hour show.

#7 Quirky

Quirky

Friendly

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:01 PM

This is my favorite new comedy of the season. The whooping episode is my favorite so far. Stereotypes can be funny if done right and the writers on this show are getting it right.

Jack and Diane are little scene stealers, especiallyt he actress who plays Diane.

I wonder if any of the younger viewers understand the reference to Jack and Diane. I think it's hilarious and it sort of plays into the title of the show in a roundabout way.

I actually hadn't paid any attention to their names at all. Seeing you type them together makes me giggle, though, and now I'll notice every time one of their names is said, I'm sure. 

#8 Misslisa

Misslisa

Noob

• 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:45 AM

I have been meaning to watch this show, but never got around to it. Now that I have read some of your reviews I really paln to watch it te next time it is on. I didn't think that I woud like it because of the name, but I see that it is probably a good and funny show.

#9 TVismyfriend

TVismyfriend

Friendly

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:05 PM

I don't like the title either but this show is very charming and has an amazing cast.

#10 ELtvwatcher

ELtvwatcher

Noob

• 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:25 PM

Yes. I agree. The title doesn't do the show any justice. But once I heard Tracy Ellis Ross in a interview explain the title it made sense. 

#11 TatsuKaji

TatsuKaji

Cordial

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:42 PM

I just read up on this on IMDB and it seems like it could be a great show, I'll have to check it out, as a black person that has lived in a neighborhood that was mostly white, I can imagine finding a lot of relating scenarios.

#12 andycohenprotege

andycohenprotege

Noob

• 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:41 AM

I don't get all the hate for this show. It's really funny. My favorite episode is when the dad tries to discipline his son who likes to disappear and make his family panic, I won't spoil it for everyone but Lawrence Fishburne's reaction after the 'disciplining' is hilarious.