• Home
  • Help
  • Contact
  •  

Photo

TV to Book -- the flipside of movie vs book!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AllBuffedUp

AllBuffedUp

Cordial

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:43 PM

Maybe you guys know. But for many TV shows -- Buffy, Angel, Charmed, to name a few -- adventures have been written as books. Sometimes rewriting aired episodes, sometimes coming up with new adventures for the characters we saw growing from seasons to seasons.

I saw many people saying that books just allow you to feel more connected to the characters because you know their thoughts. However, reading those books, it feels for me like a lot is lost from the conversion from screen to paper. What about you? Do you think it's just because the tv serie came first? Or because the attention to quality is not as strong as it is when writing for the show is done?

Maybe it'd be better for shows whose actors/actresses are really bad...!

#2 Lushlala

Lushlala

Cordial

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:23 AM

I have to say, I very rarely do both the book and the movie/TV series. I've previously done it a few times and was left sorely disappointed by one or the other. So I've resorted to keeping them separate to avoid that. I always find that when a book has been made into a TV series or movie, some nuances from the book may be dropped and a few elements added to enhance the storyline, sometimes to the detriment of the overall storyline. Of course it can be done very well, but sadly that's very rare!

#3 sammien94

sammien94

Cordial

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:06 AM

I actually quite liked the Gossip Girl series both in book and TV form. I've also heard really good things about comic book shows like Agent Carter, Arrow and the Flash. I think the cool thing about a TV series is that it allows the writers to really develop characters rather than just recreating the book contents

#4 KimberlyD

KimberlyD

Friendly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:53 PM

Whenever I like a show or movie, I read the book.  9 out of ten times, I like the book better then the show or movie.  I have to say there were a few times I like the movie better then the book.  LOL

When a book is written, they get more indepth of the characters and the situation.  The book reveals things that the movie can't like the characters thoughts and feelings on what is going on around them.  Plus, when making a show or movie ... a lot of stuff is left out.  They can not actually match the show or movie to the book, sometimes they even completely change things in the show or movie from what is in the book.  Movies are fun to watch and visually appealing, but books hold so much more.

#5 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:03 AM

I'm more used to the scenario in which the book come first, then the movie or the TV show, hehehe!  But I've never liked the idea of reading a book based on a TV show, mostly because the TV show came before the book, most of the time I feel so disconnected from the characters I know and love. For some reason I think there is way more emotion in the TV show than in those pages. Maybe because I got used to the TV show?

But one thing is for sure... I've enjoyed the walking dead comic even more than the TV show!  Probably because I read the comic first ;)  Books that came before movies are also a big hit for me.

#6 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:29 AM

I have to say, I very rarely do both the book and the movie/TV series. I've previously done it a few times and was left sorely disappointed by one or the other. So I've resorted to keeping them separate to avoid that. I always find that when a book has been made into a TV series or movie, some nuances from the book may be dropped and a few elements added to enhance the storyline, sometimes to the detriment of the overall storyline. Of course it can be done very well, but sadly that's very rare!

You reminded me of the walking dead comic vs the walking dead TV show.  To be honest I embraced the difference between both of them, but there were things I didn't like and seemed off.  But other than that I must said I liked the comic most!  It was and still is such a unique piece of work, I love the fact they never censored anything in the comic... which made it seem more crude, but that fitted well because it was according to the new reality they were living.

What I admired the most about the characters from the comic was the fact that despite they had gone thru a lot awful things... they managed to keep their humanity, most of it at least. That's what made them strong and special from the other groups that ended up doing really awful things in the name of survival.  I was sad to see that wasn't quite the case for many people in Rick's group... Maybe if I hadn't read the comic I'd feel different. 

Edited by Sefarad, 30 March 2015 - 07:38 AM.

#7 KimberlyD

KimberlyD

Friendly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:54 AM

I did read a few books based off a series of movies, StarWars, and in a small way I enjoyed it.

It was a continuation of an otherwise ended series.  It is the life after so to speak.  There are many shows I would have loved to continue to watch but were cancelled and so books based off those series allow for those who enjoyed the series to continue to enjoy them, if they are a continuation.  If they are just written work from the actual already seen shows, they can be a bit boring unless written right.  However, I have to admit that I do like to read books based on shows and movies.

#8 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:36 AM

I'd personally be happy if they wrote a book about the lives of the characters from in the flesh... where it ended before being cancelled :(  I don't think there will be a new season for them, but if only the creator of that TV show could show us what he had in mind for the characters!  I'd be so happy, I'd surely buy it!!!!!!  I'd totally love it, the creator said he already had written enough for a few seasons!!!!  I hope someone tell him he could turn all that material into a book...