• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 KimberlyD

KimberlyD

Friendly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:24 PM

I know some people who still pay for cable or satellite, but I just don't understand why anymore.  You can watch your favorite shows when you want online for free.  Every show I watch, I watch on my computer without having to pay the high prices of having cable or internet.  Anyone else watching their shows like this?

#2 AllBuffedUp

AllBuffedUp

Cordial

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:13 PM

I also watch everything online -- TV where I am has too many reruns and not enough quality content. I know people who pay for cable TV because that's what they do and they would not want to bother with more computer stuff than they could handle etc.

#3 FanGirl

FanGirl

Cordial

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:24 PM

I watch my shows online or thru my Roku, I agree I think the days of cable and dish TV are starting to wind down. I am glad that more places on the internet are offering free episodes or the ability to just buy a season of your favorite shows. Seriously it was all the commercials that got to me on cable. That and the fact there was never anything good on when I could watch it. I swear I saw the infomercial for some things more then actual shows. Thats sad. I finally decided that I would rather pay Amazon then Time Warner, I watch my favorite shows when I want without worry now! made that choice almost three years ago- no regrets.

#4 pafjlh

pafjlh

Friendly

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:52 PM

You do have to wonder if these are on the way out.  After all, it would seem that more people are investing in streaming players these days.  Streaming players offer many different types of online platforms to watch TV. One well known one being Netflix, with this channel alone people have access to tons of movies and TV Programs. Yes, a person has to pay for Netflix, as they would other types of premiums Apps such as HBO Go but these monthly cost could be a fraction of what is paid out for cable or satellite a month.  In fact, in a struggling economy this is an option that it seems many are taking. 

As for those people who still have cable and satellite well being one of those people all I can tell you is that old habits die hard, and I can't convince everyone in my family that we would be better off dropping cable and just relying on a streaming player for our viewing needs along with an antenna box. But some people don't want to listen to that.

#5 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:36 PM

I don't believe in torrenting stealing TV shows.

Unless you have some sort of cable package, you will have to watch most TV shows on a delay. Not to mention, I watch sports and you will need a cable or satellite package to do that.

#6 Lushlala

Lushlala

Cordial

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:59 AM

Some people stay with what they know out of habit, but sometimes even if you show them the benefits they just won't listen! Where I live, everything's hideously expensive and not easily accessible. My husband loves football and we initially subscribed to the lone satellite TV service provider. -and as with all monopolies, they have eye wateringly expensive fees. We eventually decided to scrap that and instead pay more for our internet access for faster and better internet, and watch everything online. We've never been happier :)

#7 maladjusted

maladjusted

Friendly

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:23 PM

A little of both for me.  I like "traditional" TV - I like that I turn on the TV and satellite box, and everything I want to watch is there, in one place and with my DVR, I don't have to remember what network each show comes on or when new episodes start.  It's easy and convenient.  But, I have started watching some shows on my computer - I use Netflix A LOT and have been thinking about getting a subscription to Hulu Plus or Amazon Prime to get new shows.  However, I believe like #kendall - unless the shows are put out there by the network that produces, and pays for them, it's stealing to get them from a torrent site.  I had this debate with my son about music 15 years ago.  If everyone downloads the content illegally, and the networks stop making money from them, they will stop producing TV shows.  The networks don't produce shows from the goodness of their heart, they do it to make money - and if it stops making money, they will stop production.

#8 Lushlala

Lushlala

Cordial

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:45 AM

You make some very good points! I also agree with you about the convenience of having all your programmes in one place i.e the TV. The only reason why we resorted to scrapping our satellite TV subscription is because of our current financial constraints. If we could, we would have both the internet and satellite TV; in the end we decided we needed the internet the most.

However, I really do miss TV. There're things that you just have to watch on TV. Like I just missed out on one of my favourite TV shows, the UK Strictly Come Dancing (the equivalent of the US Dancing with the Stars) I would like to have watched it from start to finish on TV. Plus my husband likes to channel surf every night to wind down. He likes stumbling across old repeats of shows like Top Gear, that may not necessarily be available via these torrent sites :(

#9 primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974

Cordial

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:43 AM

While I agree, you can watch most things for free from a computer, not everyone likes sitting at a desktop or watching the small screen of a portable. I do download and make a lot of blu rays, which I can then watch on big screen TVs. This is usually more for the family than myself, as I am sitting here a lot anyway, and might as well not waste a blu ray for myself.

#10 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:09 PM

A little of both for me.  I like "traditional" TV - I like that I turn on the TV and satellite box, and everything I want to watch is there, in one place and with my DVR, I don't have to remember what network each show comes on or when new episodes start.  It's easy and convenient.  But, I have started watching some shows on my computer - I use Netflix A LOT and have been thinking about getting a subscription to Hulu Plus or Amazon Prime to get new shows.  However, I believe like #kendall - unless the shows are put out there by the network that produces, and pays for them, it's stealing to get them from a torrent site.  I had this debate with my son about music 15 years ago.  If everyone downloads the content illegally, and the networks stop making money from them, they will stop producing TV shows.  The networks don't produce shows from the goodness of their heart, they do it to make money - and if it stops making money, they will stop production.

Same here, I enjoy the conventional TV, but but lately I'm truly enjoying watching TV online.  I actually discovered a magnificent British TV show named ''In the flesh'', to my dismay  it only had 2 seasons to offer with a total of just 9 episodes :(  I could also watch the whole season of ''The Strain'', and will be waiting for it.  I'm also following the Walking dead online, because I'm going to bed a bit early so I can no longer watch it on TV.  It is cool to be able to watch your favorite TV shows when you have the time for it :)

#11 KimberlyD

KimberlyD

Friendly

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:01 PM

I don't believe in torrenting stealing TV shows.

Unless you have some sort of cable package, you will have to watch most TV shows on a delay. Not to mention, I watch sports and you will need a cable or satellite package to do that.

http://espn.go.com/

You can watch live events online.

#12 Danielle

Danielle

Shy

• 5 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:04 PM

I am a fan of watching traditional television.  For the most part I watch old shows. I am not a fan of reality shows at all.  I watch more 70's sitcoms and game shows.  TV just isn't the same these days.  Back in the day television was actually worth watching.  There were actually funny shows on that were family oriented and entertaining.  Nowadays it's all reality shows with subliminal messages that to me are corrupting the younger generations.  Having satellites and digital cable now seems a bit wasteful.  You pay money for packages with hundreds of channels and the majority of the programming is not suitable to watch.

#13 Sefarad

Sefarad

Friendly

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:26 PM

I hear ya, Danielle.  Back when I was a child even most movies were very good and perfect for the whole family to watch together.  Same with TV shows, we had fun, cozy and family oriented TV shows like the Nanny, as well as others.  Now the TV and movie industry are so different... it's so full of sex and violence these days!  You have to think twice before letting a kid watch TV on his/her own.  For reals. 

God, I miss the TV and movies from the 90's, actually most of my comfort movies and TV shows are from that time... the first 4 years of the 2000's decade were also good.  I really miss watching TV shows like the Nanny, friends, Buffy the vampire slayer, etc.