46 replies to this topic

#1 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:18 PM

Did anyone watch the premier?

The reviews were very good. Even better was ratings.

I am watching it this weekend.

#2 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:56 AM

Iadded the show to my DVR. I'll watch it this weekend. I thought the reviews were mixed. Some people on my facebook timeline thought it was a hot mess.

#3 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:20 AM

It's over the top soapy drama that I love, so I'm in until I am no longer entertained.

Taraji P. Henson as Cookie is the star the show. She's fabulous in this.

#4 GGirls

GGirls

Friendly

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:28 PM

It's over the top soapy drama that I love, so I'm in until I am no longer entertained.

She absolutely it.

I was so proud when the ratings came out. 

Well done!

#5 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:54 PM

I am so happy you are watching. I'll be back tonight or tomorrow when I catch up.

I read that Taraji is carrying the show. SO HAPPY to have another AA carrying a primetime show!

#6 DareDevil

DareDevil

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:38 PM

I am so happy you are watching. I'll be back tonight or tomorrow when I catch up.

I read that Taraji is carrying the show. SO HAPPY to have another AA carrying a primetime show!

On Fox channel, no less.

#7 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:46 PM

I am watching!

I am in love already. Terrence Howard is a badass Producer? Manager?

Cookie, however is the most interesting character so far. I like her men, the ex and son, but as extension of her. I am still not understanding why she beat on the other son. She clearly loves the gay one but what did the rapper son do?

I am a little confused with all the flashbacks. I am going to have to rewatch it tomorrow.

#8 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:05 PM

On Fox channel, no less.

Fox Broadcasting has always supported shows created by and for African Americans. They had In Living Color, Martin, Living Single and New York Undercover in the 90s.

#9 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:12 PM

They also had a current show with an AA lead,  Sleepy Hallow

#10 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

I am watching!

I am in love already. Terrence Howard is a badass Producer? Manager?

Cookie, however is the most interesting character so far. I like her men, the ex and son, but as extension of her. I am still not understanding why she beat on the other son. She clearly loves the gay one but what did the rapper son do?

I am a little confused with all the flashbacks. I am going to have to rewatch it tomorrow.

She beat the youngest with a broomstick because he cursed at her. From what I could tell from the flashbacks, the youngest doesn't know his mom because she went to jail when he was a baby. He has no connection to Cookie.

I liked that Cookie is accepting and protective of her gay son. I hope the writers put some quality writing behind that storyline because it's a story that needs to be told.

Edited by iambre, 11 January 2015 - 07:26 PM.

#11 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:38 PM

I liked that Cookie is accepting and protective of her gay son. I hope the writers put some quality writing behind that storyline because it's a story that needs to be told.

In contrast, the father's reaction to the gay son is too over the top IMO.

#12 MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:59 PM

The little mashup between Hakeem and Jamal ; They'll make platinum if their parents will stop pitting them against each other.

I can't take my eyes of THs's permed head. It is appropriately pimpilicious. His relationship with Jamal have ways to go but it's come a long way from when he screamed at him for dressing up like a like a little "bitch"

The oldest son, Andres, should run the company. He is the already the cooperate rider. The other two, Hakeem and Jamal can oversee  creative control. 

#13 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:01 PM

I'm buying it.

7 Reasons ‘Empire’ is the new ‘Dynasty’

#14 DareDevil

DareDevil

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:14 PM

is relationship with Jamal have ways to go but it's come a long way from when he screamed at him for dressing up like a like a little "bitch"

I am sorry, I disagree with this statement. "I never wanted him [Jamal ], you know" 

I'm buying it.

7 Reasons ‘Empire’ is the new ‘Dynasty’

I think Jay-Z might take offense to being compared with a man who've permed his hair lol.

#15 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:54 PM

Yeah, the guy is a cold blooded killer on top of being homophobic.

Is the music they play/sing original? I would so buy the soundtrack. They are all dang catchy.

#16 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:33 PM

So, excited to see a real thread for this. I think I asked about it in another.

As disappointed as I was about how dirty Person of Interest did Taraji, I'm glad they did as this is a very promising show. I was reluctant to watch it at first as I thought it was going to be stereotype galore, but there is a nice balance to the show, that even the worst behavior is very believable behavior.

The only thing I really don't buy is Gabourey Sidibe as his assistant. The music industry and Lucious are way too narrow minded in "a look" for her to really be that prominent in his operation. While it does seem like their relationship is built on something prior to the rise of Empire, that jerk (and I say that with love) would have her hidden away.

Taraji is really the star of this show as she is required to do so much more as the woman trying to catch up, keep pace and beat Lucious, the man she's still in love with. Hopefully, her presence on the show doesn't become a problem for Terence Howard as he's gotten a blown up ego over smaller things than "who's the star of this project?"

#17 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:38 AM

Oh no. I hope she is no longer in love with Luscious. She needs to find herself a pretty young thing to take her mind of all betrayal.

I love the wayCookie announces herself. She knows how to make an entrance.

The musical talent on this show put the Glee cast to shame. The songs might be originals too.

LOL that the family have a personal relationship with Obama. 

#18 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:10 PM

I love Jamal.

I want him to take the Empire and kick Hakeem and the oldest brother out the door.

Lucious is such a cold blooded dick. I will hate for Cookie to show any signs of being hanged up on him ever.

The cops better bag that ass.

#19 GGirls

GGirls

Friendly

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:04 PM

The ratings soared again!

I didn't know that Wesley Snipes was in the running to play Lucious. I don't like him, but I can't imagine anyone but Terrence Howard playing him.

Hakeem is a special case but I hope him and Jamal don't turn against each other. They shouldn't get caught up in their parents drama. 

As for Cookie being in love with Lucious? I don't see it at all. 

#20 DareDevil

DareDevil

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:36 AM

LOL that the family have a personal relationship with Obama. 

I don't think the person Lucious was on the phone with was President Obama.