• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 90s

90s

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:07 AM

What is Cookie's real name? I've never heard it.

Her being hung up over Lucious is her only flaw as far as I am concern.

#22 90s

90s

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:31 AM

He's a dying man.

Mors than that, he's a murderer.

#23 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:22 PM

The reason why I think she is still in love with him on some level is because all she really thought about was her family for the last 17 years, so when she came out, she was still in a bit of a time suspension. She understands that her sons are grown men, but even though they never came to see her, she is still relating to them as she did when they were kids.

Lucious even looks like he's still in love with her from time to time. However, his 17 years without her has allowed him to love his life and power with the same, if not more intensity, so those moments are easier to dismiss for him.

The songs are original. Timbaland does all of the writing and/or oversight of the music production.

I know for sure that I wouldn't have watched if Wesley was the lead, not even for Taraji. He is a one note actor. He wouldn't be able to do as much with as little that are giving Terence.

Regarding his relationship with the President. I've been mildly amused and can't wait to see if there is any industry tension with them ever so gently picking out parts of real life rappers' lives. What I've seen thus far:

• Cookie going to prison is an allusion to the trouble that Tiny got in with T.I. and all of his out of the studio shenanigans.
  • Lucious talking to the President is an allusion to the very unfortunate (IMO) relationship of the President with Jay Z.
  • Lucious beating and killing people is about the legend of Suge Knight and a little bit of Puffy Combs.

There are a few others, but as soon as I started the bullet list, I forgot them. :lol:

And NOOOOO they can't arrest Lucious! I need him on the show! :lol: Just make the way he is able to wiggle his way out of this believable and I'll take it. Empire really is an amazing soap opera and so, so, so much in the vein and quality of Dallas and Dynasty, so I need a good five year run for it.

I wish them nothing but success on this.

#24 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:07 PM

I am confused. Cookie is starting her own production company so why is she recruiting talents for Lucious' company? He doesn't want to give her fair share so why toil for the asshole?

Kitty Boo Boo is a hoot. I don't dislike her per say but I wouldn't have minded her taking a bullet in an artery.

#25 DareDevil

DareDevil

Friendly

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:04 PM

I am confused. Cookie is starting her own production company so why is she recruiting talents for Lucious' company? He doesn't want to give her fair share so why toil for the asshole?

Kitty Boo Boo is a hoot. I don't dislike her per say but I wouldn't have minded her taking a bullet in an artery.

She is a partner so Lucious gain is her gain. I want her to break away though.

#26 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:32 PM

I don't think Cookie ever intended to start her own production company, she wanted to be head of A&R, but Anika has that job. In a way, she's setting up her own A&R deapartment to compete with Anika, but within Empire.

I have to ask: how long was Anika going to stare at the cars driving by while shooting before she realized that it was a DRIVE BY SHOOTING? They even yelled, "it's a drive by!" and she was just sitting there like whatever.

Despite getting cut off, I find it hard to believe that Jamal couldn't afford anything better than Bushwick. All of the money in his bank account couldn't have been from Lucious, he works the hipster club circuit in New York. Also, even if he did want to live in Bushwick, that area is going through a bit of gentrification, so his place still would've been better than that.

I expected Tiana to end up dumb and pregnant, not cold, calculating and too smart to get caught up in her feelings over Hakeem. She stil may flip out a bit, but I feel like Cookie will be in her ear, even with Hakeem being the center of affection.

#27 tabee

tabee

Friendly

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:57 AM

LOL that the family have a personal relationship with Obama. 

I don't think the person Lucious was on the phone with was President Obama. 

That telephone conversation with Obama truly had me cracking, too! 

Anyway, I've just caught up with the show after coming across this thread. Much like everyone, I like Cookie's character, and her legs, haha!!!

I love how she is protective of her sons. I wouldn't have thought she'll smack Hakeem. She practically hadn't seen her youngest, so I didn't think she'd be keen on hitting his head just like that. But that spoiled brat definitely deserved it.

#28 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:13 PM

Promise that I will catch up this weekend and then we can chat. I'm 4 episodes behind.

Meanwhile, I'm loving these gifs from last night's episode.

ye7zx6b5b5cvhe4jes18.gif

tumblr_njmzv5rYe91s3y9slo1_500.gif

#29 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:17 PM

ye7zx6b5b5cvhe4jes18.gif

For the record, the butt grab was accompanied by "This is what an ass looks like"

Burn Baby doll!

#30 Kendall

Kendall

Friendly

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:21 AM

How about the actor that plays Hakeem forgetting that he plays her son and getting a good glimpse of that grab and jiggle? <_< I see you, boy!

#31 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:31 PM

I'm all caught up on the last 4 episodes and I must admit that was straight entertaining. I haven't been this thoroughly entertained by a new TV show since the first season of Revenge. I like to save up episodes to watch at one time but I think that may have to end now that I am totally addicted now. I can't wait for the next episode!

Cookie is the best new character on television in a long time and as ratchet as she appears from the outside with her brash talk and flashy clothes, she's nothing but a loving momma with a heart of gold. Her relationship with her middle son Jamal is the best relationship on the show. She loves him no matter what and her fierce loyalty to him just makes my heart smile in the sappiest of ways. If Taraji P. Henson does not get an Emmy nod for this performance than the Emmy awards are a sham, straight up! #hereforcookie

At first I didn't think I would like Luscious, but Terrence Howard is really excellent in this role. To be honest, I don't know of any other African American actor who could have played this role better. I'm so glad Taraji backed him for the role or else. He has the perfect balance of smarm and vulnerability to play a man who has to come to terms with his health and eventual death. Terrence brings it even though Luscious is very difficult to like or root for.

Now that I'm all caught up I am done comparing Empire to Hustle and Flow. Other than the two main actors and music (of course), Empire has such a different show because it's about the interpersonal drama within a broken family, but the flamboyant lifestyle and over the top story lines is what makes it fun to watch. 

I'm also pleased to see the show continues to have an increase in ratings each week. I really hope once all the canned episodes (filmed before the premiere) are done airing the show continues on the same path it's on now and not be affected by the initial success.

About the episodes, I don't know where to begin...

#32 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:48 PM

How about the actor that plays Hakeem forgetting that he plays her son and getting a good glimpse of that grab and jiggle? <_< I see you, boy!

Yeah, that was my first reaction when I saw that gif.

Having watched this episode, I am disappointed that Cookie does seem want to Luscious back. But hey, it led to that butt grab!

#33 tabee

tabee

Friendly

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:53 AM

Yeah, that was my first reaction when I saw that gif.

Having watched this episode, I am disappointed that Cookie does seem want to Luscious back. But hey, it led to that butt grab!

Haha! I didn't catch his reaction while watching the show. But the gif, hilarious! Anyhow, I didn't think he's forgotten, but that he's never taken her as his mother though. That aside, his reactions seem to me are the same regardless of situations.

As to Cookie wanting Luscious back, I've always thought she never wavered from loving her family, Luscious included. I think I saw her disappointment and hurt, every time she sees Luscious with Anika. But then, she's Cookie - so she's very effective in not showing her feelings. 

Agree, agree, agree on Cookie being " the best new character on television in a long time and as ratchet as she appears from the outside with her brash talk and flashy clothes, she's nothing but a loving momma with a heart of gold." 

#34 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:04 PM

Empire is just pure fun to watch TV. Cookie was in rare form in this episode.

tumblr_nkcycdxURD1u5351mo1_500.gif

At first I was like Lucious is having an ALS episode at the white party.

tumblr_nkcycdxURD1u5351mo2_540.gif

And then I realized Jamal just came out.

tumblr_nkcycdxURD1u5351mo1_500.gif

#35 Cybagem

Cybagem

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:16 PM

Black people and our white parties lol!

#36 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:21 AM

"You want Cookie's nookie? Ditch the bitch." LOL!

"Tell 'em booboo Kitty!" lol

#37 iambre

iambre

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:52 AM

What is Cookie's real name? I've never heard it.

Her being hung up over Lucious is her only flaw as far as I am concern.

Cookie said that Lucious was the only man she has ever been with and she has a family with him. He is her only love, so I get why she's hung up on him. I expect the relationship between Cookie and Lucious will always be a rollercoaster of emotions even when they are not together.

#38 tabee

tabee

Friendly

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:19 AM

Cookie and Lucious' relationship will always be the motivation for me to watch EMPIRE. Am not much a music fan, but the characters of the two - just pure love. While 17 years of separation may have caused them to drift apart (at least on Lucious' part), I think their history prior to jail is much too deep to just be forgotten easily. They're a family through and through. This history they have between each other is what causes their rollercoaster of emotions. Yes, Anika is currently in the picture. But seeing Lucious' reaction to when Cookie delivered the speech at Investors' Night, was pure respect and adoration, might even be love. 

#39 Bittersweet

Bittersweet

Social Butterfly

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:58 PM

Episode 107 is not available on my OnDemand. Anyone else have this issue? I wanted to see the aftermath of Jamal's baby mama Simone. Was there a DNA to establish him as the baby's father? Either way, good casting choice. 

Hakeem going to church to pray to Luscious was all kinds of LOL. 

Why are kitty doll and Cookie fighting over a dying man? He could kneel over at anytime ladies. He is going to play the two of them until he dies. He sure likes having sex with Cookie since she became open for business. I do have to give him credit for telling Cookie about the wedding before The Announcement. 

I  am not sure how I feel about Cookie sleeping with Luscious, but I LOVED how she rubbed it into whatsherface like a BOSS. 

Another Boss moment was her meeting with Naomi Campbell. She was so blatantly rude, I loved it. She wants grandbabies and hell yeah, she's going to tell it to the cougar her son is dating, to her face, the first day they are introduced by her son. 

Was that jealousy on Andres when he saw the four of them singing in the studio? I admit it looked fun but him feeling left out makes no sense. They are nowhere to being close. 

Cookie is undeniable The Boss, but gotta give Jamal some kudos. He came out like a Boss! And the world is still spinning. 

#40 GGirls

GGirls

Friendly

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:18 PM

iMnNDfH.gif